LOOKING FORWARD TO THE JOURNEY NEED A PUSH THOUGH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pavman

Hi Folks name is Dave and went to my first RV show and St Louis and the wife and me decided to buy a trailer.  I currently drive a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac (Automatic) and I have been told and by doing research that I can pull 5260lb. 

Can anyone give some insight to Hybrids versus Travel trailers.  been looking at the Kodiak by Skamper and by the looks of that hybrid they have seemed to do there homework.  have heard of Hybrids leaking while driving but they claim they have fixed that with a rain guard and a Semi type of latch that seals the bed very well to the frame.

Since it is still me and the wife looking at staying under 22ft and around 4500lb anyone have any recommendations.  Also will the hitch I have installed (6000lb 2" Ball i think)  work as is or will I need a weight distribution system.

Thanks everyone

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  I am sure you will be getting some valuable information from members that have much experience towing trailers.  Glad you found us.

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
Since it is still me and the wife looking at staying under 22ft and around 4500lb anyone have any recommendations.  Also will the hitch I have installed (6000lb 2" Ball i think)  work as is or will I need a weight distribution system

You are going for a light trailer but you also have a light truck.  I would say that weight distributing hitch system in the lighter tongue-weight ratings is a good investment, as would be a anti-sway system.  Remember that a hybird unlike a pop-up has a high profile to catch cross winds and truck shockwaves.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Dave,

Hybrids that I have seen have hand twist locks to seal the bed to the frame. These don't seem very adequate to me as it takes quite a bit of force to seal the unit. One preson might tighten them enough where another might not. If done properly they shouldn't leak. Perhaps the other type of latch would seal better than the original.

Pavman

Thanks for the input guys.  This weight distro system and anti sway bar is something that I assume the dealer will mention and try to sell to me.  Is this something that can be easly done??

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
Pavman said:
Thanks for the input guys.? This weight distro system and anti sway bar is something that I assume the dealer will mention and try to sell to me.? Is this something that can be easly done??

Well yes it can be done by someone who knows that a wrench is for and can read and follow directions.  Otoh, if the dealer throws in installation, let him do it.  In this case, watch the job and insist on receiving a copy of the installation instructions.  Keep them.  You will need it to check the work he does and for future use:  my Reese Dual Cam WD and anti-sway control system is about 20 years old and has been installed on 3 different trailers.  I like to get my money out of stuff.  ;D

Pavman

Carl,

Thanks for the advise that make sense and will try to get it added when I make my purchase

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Pavman said:
Carl,

Thanks for the advise that make sense and will try to get it added when I make my purchase

I work part time at a dealership in the summer and anytime a sales person sells a hitch setup we do the installation. It's all figured in the price of the hitch. Not sure if all dealerships do that but they should. Nobody should be sent down the road without a complete explanation on how the hitch works and is adjusted. As Carl mentioned it is easy to do but you must know what you are doing first. :)

Top Bottom