Looking interesting stops headed out west and then back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fpotus

We are about to head west to Grand Canyon NP then up to Yellowstone NP before coming back thru SD. We are leaving eastern NC and our first destination is Stone Mountain GA. After that we dont really have anywhere picked out between GA and NM when we visit White Sands NP. Anyone have suggestions? Also, on the way back east after we visit Ashfall Fossil Beds SP we dont have anywhere picked out until we hit New River Gorge WV. Anyone have suggestions for that stretch?
We have a 19, 13, 10, and 9yo. Looking something less commercial. We have used Harvest Hosts before and will probably use it again to stay at a few farms. The kids loved the dairy farm we stayed at in Iowa last time.

Leave NC, Stone Mountain, White Sands, Very Large Array, Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Badlands, Ashfall, New River, and back home. And yes, we're gonna be gone from home for awhile. Thanks in advance.

3 Rivers Petroglyph site at Tularosa is good and has campsites.

The largest pistachio is at Alamagordo (with a gift shop obviously) and there is the Museum of Space History is pretty good.

There visit a place called Pie Town after the VLA. We didn't stop but might be good for a pit stop.

Devil's Tower Wyoming

Chief Crazy Horse National Monument South Dakota is really good.

Big Bend National Park is wonderful as is Carlsbad Caverns (reservations last time we went or go early and get a cancellation. Hike down get elevator back up.

Last edited:
I'm curious how much time you have planned for this trip.
Up to 2 months if needed. We may cut out some stops along the way. Meteor Crater, Yellowstone, and Ashfall are the only ones set in stone. Several are only quick visits. We may pick just one site in Utah to spend time and explore. Hit the rest another trip.

Can't skip Zion! That one is gorgeous, especially if you drive in through the East Tunnel entrance. (Check requirements to see if your rig can get through.) You cannot wade in the river now, but kids can rent bikes to ride on the bike trail and shuttle roadway.

Also, rent sleds at White Sands and let kids, even big ones, climb dunes and slide down! Pack lunch for that day and picnic on a dune. Stay at Oliver Lee SP, east of White Sands, south of Alamagordo. Kids can climb up the steep slopes and check out an old mine. They can also follow a creek near the visitor center, as it comes out of the mountain. In Alamogordo, you should visit the Museum of Space History in town and see the chimpanzee space suit.

Also, on the way into Yellowstone from the East, the town of Cody is a great place to spend two or three nights. There are places there that offer trail rides and also chuckwagon dinners, plus entertainment. (Stay in town or west of town at the Buffalo Bill state park.)

Also, in Cody is one of the best western museums anywhere. It is the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, but it is a lot more than just about Buffalo Bill. https://centerofthewest.org/ It is really 5 museums in one: You can easily spend several hours there, and kids can choose to wander at whatever area interests them. They also offer unusual chuckwagon dinners, but make reservations for all of this stuff.

The size of it is evident by the fact that tickets are good for two days! It's an excellent introduction to Yellowstone, Indian tribes, western life, and a bunch of other stuff. Check it out.

Up to 2 months if needed. We may cut out some stops along the way. Meteor Crater, Yellowstone, and Ashfall are the only ones set in stone. Several are only quick visits. We may pick just one site in Utah to spend time and explore. Hit the rest another trip.
Between Meteor Crater and Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon. Indian cliff dwellings and a nice trail to view them. Actually much more interesting than Meteor Crater to me.

You will need to decide which campsites to land on for the type of camping you are accustom to. But, if you are wanting some unusual attractions to experience along the way, then may I make a strong recommendation:

Look up the "Weird USA" series on the Internet and / or Roadside America. Here, you will find all sorts of weird and unusual, off the main tourist trap sites that you may find extremely interesting.

Another type of internet search you can do is simply: Weird Kentucky, or Weird South Dakota, or Weird Iowa, or any state. You'll get so many ideas your head will spin. Match up these locations along with the route you plan on traveling and as you travel plan on stopping at some of these "lesser know" attraction. It will give you some time to rest from driving, stretch your legs, even get a bite to eat, see something unusual, and not take hours and hours standing in lines after driving miles to see an attraction that's only 5 minutes long and costs a fortune to go into and see.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

A few years ago, I purchased the book "Weird Indiana" and it was my goal to visit every item in that book. So, we toured Indiana when we camped at many of the state parks and rediscovered Indiana. It was a fantastic journey and a great year of RVing and we never had to leave Indiana. And.... we made it only about a 1/4 way through the book, never finished seeing all those sites.

Check it out, here's one I've been driving by for years and years and years and never thought about it being "weird" until I saw it in the book. And then ... after seeing it in the book, I had to agree ... Yep, that's pretty weird!''

UILpAZZ.jpg

QCT1T35.jpg

Maybe another one: Not in the book, but "weird". (Southern Indiana)

Th06jjg.jpg

Last edited:
Meteor Crater is better if seen on video. The price to enter is $27 per person. Homilovi State Park next to Winslow was more interesting to me and has RV camp sites. Walnut Canyon is also worth more time than Meteor Crater. Pie Town is just that, a place to eat good pie and ice cream if you are driving down that stretch of US 60.

several years ago when we did a trip to the canyon, I used a site called roadtrippers.com
to look for points of interest. It was useful to get a general idea and options in mind but sometimes we winged it too based on mood, etc....

We had very limited time for the trip and we pushed hard...but still made effort to stop nearly every day for something. A museum or other activity or point of interest.... A really great trip for us. 19 days on the road as I recall out and back.

you mentioned needing a place between GA an NM
assuming you'll be driving I-40
It's probably too close to NM for your purposes, but one place we stumbled through was near Amarillo....overnighting there didn't work for us (no available sites that night), but we just did a drive through and short trail hike.... My wife said she'd go back just for that destination alone.

If you're going through Utah on your way, then the Wedge Overlook is often referred to as the Little Grand Canyon and not too far north of I-70. Deadhorse Point State Park would be another good option that has a remote feel to it.

Also 2nd the above that, if you're going through Cody, a stop at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West museum is well worth it.

several years ago when we did a trip to the canyon, I used a site called roadtrippers.com
to look for points of interest. It was useful to get a general idea and options in mind but sometimes we winged it too based on mood, etc....

I am also an advocate of Roadtrippers.

I would recommend R66 on the way out. Probably join in St.Louis or Joplin. I don't buy a lot of books but I think it was the gift shop at the Wagon Wheel motel we bought The Illustrated R66 Historical Atlas" - It is picture heavy and also has some great historical readings. Avoid "R66 historical stops" off of I40. Look for sections where R66 still exists and make a couple/few stops that way.

I disagree about the AZ Crater. I've seen it by air (light place) and on video. It's pretty cool in person. But you don't want to miss a stop in downtown Winslow and snap a picture with the girl and flatbed Ford.

Once you reach Flagstaff or beyond, I would head north and come back via Salt Lake City, Denver and Kansas city.

There are some cool museums crossing OK and if you can the Motorcycle Museum at Seaba Station is really good and free last 2 times I was there.

1685989564375.png

Another thing to see in Cody is Dan Miller's Cowboy Music Review, a fun show with well done cowboy music and humor. I've seen them several times on Larry's Country Diner on RFD TV and I've seen their show in Cody- great in both cases.

Between Meteor Crater and Flagstaff is Walnut Canyon. Indian cliff dwellings and a nice trail to view them. Actually much more interesting than Meteor Crater to me.
While in this same area make sure to stop at Petrified Forest National Park.

As to Meteor crater I will say it is certainly worth seeing, particularly due to how close to I-40 it is, though you should probably not plan to be there more than a couple of hours, I think I spent maybe 2 hours there, but that was only because I took the circa hour long guided tour along the rim over to the old prospectors cabin site.

you mentioned needing a place between GA an NM
assuming you'll be driving I-40
It's probably too close to NM for your purposes, but one place we stumbled through was near Amarillo....overnighting there didn't work for us (no available sites that night), but we just did a drive through and short trail hike.... My wife said she'd go back just for that destination alone.
There's apparently a lot of good Jeep-style off roading in Palo Duro canyon. I keep thinking "one of these days".
My normal overnight stop near Amarillo is at Lake Meridith. It's slightly off I-40 NE of Amarillo. Free dry camping in a state park with a large lake.

Back
Top Bottom