Looking to sell/trade in. Have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

Hey guy's it's been a while. I've got a 2010 Tracer Executive 29' TT that has some issues and I'm not sure which ones to fix before trade in/ sell time and which ones won't be profitable to me in the long run. The issues are,

Slide sticks if fully extended.

Slide seals need replacing.

Both the main awning and the slide cover awning need replacing.

Soft spot in walkway floor about 6' long in front of stove area.

Rubber roof is mildew spotted/stained. It has been that way since I bought it 4 years ago. Cleaners won't remove it. Was thionking I could use that reroof rubber paint but not sure if that's a repair I'd get my time and money back out of. Roof doesn't leak.

In y'alls opinion which should I fix first and which should I let the next person deal with?

Thanks

Problem is that most of the issues are in your face. I probably won't trade in but you never know. Both of the awnings and the slide issues are in your face and a good chunk of change to fix.

How would y'all go about pricing accordingly? Take into account the price if they do it them selves or if a shop did the repairs?

You'll probably find that the roof issue is mold. The way to clean it is a strong mixture of bleach along with some Dawn detergent and a long handle scrub brush. Put it on and scrub it, let it sit for a few minutes then scrub it again then rinse. Good to do it on a cloudy day so the soapy mixture doesn't not dry up.

Use the same mixture for your awning and slide out toppers. The only difference is once you put it on, roll them up and let them sit for an hour or so, then open them up, scrub again then rinse.

Thanks for the tip RenaT. I'll have to replace the slide awning as it's got a tear in it where it attaches to the camper. Hope the bleach and dawn trick works for the roof. I've used roof cleaners but no joy. I'll try this.

samthetramp said:
Problem is that most of the issues are in your face. I probably won't trade in but you never know. Both of the awnings and the slide issues are in your face and a good chunk of change to fix.

How would y'all go about pricing accordingly? Take into account the price if they do it them selves or if a shop did the repairs?

I would do the cleaning portions. You most likely will not get any return on investment by getting the other things fixed unless you can do the work. You will pay $100+ per hour for labor. You can get estimates for costs for repairs then research what same unit and year in good condition are selling for. Subtract a percentage of what repairs would cost and come up with a price. You?ll have to determine the least you?ll take for it and not go below that.
Do you have to sell it? If not, sit on till you get your price.

Oldgator73 it would be nice to sell it first. I use it for work. Basically I'm a full timer and would like to have the funds to put down on the next one.

The dealer won't give you a dime extra on trade-in, one way or the other.  Chances are he won't even look at your RV when quoting a trade value, i.e. you don't even have to bring it to his lot to get a trade-in sales contract.

Private buyers probably will be influenced by the visible aspects, i.e. they can be turned off by readily visible flaws or turned on by a sharp appearance. However, they are most affected by price and usually looking for a bargain (compared to dealer pricing).  If some defect is a sticking point for the sale, negotiate the repair as part of the deal.  You can build some leeway into your asking price and pay for the repair yourself, but it is also not unheard of to say "Give me $500 more and I will have the framus repaired and guarantee it is in working condition".

I've never dealt with a dealer other than for parts or repairs so I didn't know they may not even look at it before quoting a price. Didn't think about the private deal either but it was mentioned some earlier.

Thanks

When you say awnings "need replacement" are you just talking about fabric? Those aren't too expensive if you buy and install the fabric yourself, which isn't too difficult. (Check out YouTube.) If the awning arms or rollers have damage and would need to be replaced, I'd just remove the entire thing(s) and sell without. Slide awnings are optional anyway, and patio awnings are nice but some buyers might not really care. You can explain that the awning was removed due to damage, and you decided not to replace it. A dealership can easily install a new one if they want to sell it that way, and as Gary said I doubt it will affect your trade-in offer.

scottydl the slide awning is torn where it attaches to the camper on the front. The main awning is not torn yet but has some weak spots neat the camper. The slide box getting in a bind is the biggest issue in my opinion. There's a shop in Elkhart, IN that said they could remove the box and do the labor for about $700+ parts. If the slide would work the full range of motion without sticking the rest is relatively minor in comparison.

What would be the place to go to for used TT values?

YOu can get a rough idea from the NADA RV Guide, but RV vales are nowhere near as stable or predictable as cars.  Use the NADA value as one input, not a Biblical commandment. Check other sources, e.g. online ads, PPL Motorhomes (consignment sale values), etc. 

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Gary is right on about the dealer not even looking at your trade-in. We already had a contract drawn up on the new one without it (the trade-in) being there.

rbrdriver said:
Gary is right on about the dealer not even looking at your trade-in. We already had a contract drawn up on the new one without it (the trade-in) being there.

I agree with both of them. I have never had the dealer look at ours when trading in.

Back
Top Bottom