Looking very rough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvgypz

My area is under a threat of very severe storms with golfball size hail, 80mph winds and tornadoes.....so was wondering how many nerves of steel do I need to possess to be able to ride out these storms in the RV. There's no other place to go, except sit in my car. There are no storm shelters near that I know about and these storms are coming very soon, like within a couple of hours or so, or maybe even sooner, as I have just heard some thunder!? :eek:? I have prepared as best as I can by bringing in small things that were outside, and am a bit of a 'fraidy-cat when it comes to storms of this intensity. What is the best way to ride out storms of this nature when all you have is a RV?? :-\

One of the advantages of an RV is mobility.? The best way to handle storms like these is to move out of the threatened area.? The next best place is under an overpass to get some protection from the hail but that won't offer much protection from high winds.? If you can't move, then you have the same risks that the non-mobile home owners have.? Definitely get to a secure shelter if there is the possibility of tornadoes, your RV won't be any protection if one comes your way.? Even high winds from a severe thunderstorm can overturn an RV.

Where, exactly, are you?

Just outside of Memphis, across the stateline in MS. Warnings are being issued as I type this, so think I will shut down my 'puter and go outside to watch the sky. They're talking about these storms having 60,000 ft. tops on them. That's a supercell in my book! Going to go find a hidey-hole now.? :eek:

Please let us know how you weather the storms.  Good luck and we hope you suffer no damage.

Well, we survived with no damage. The power went off for a little while, but other than that, nothing blew away. Whew! It got intense for a bit and there was wind damage close by us, but all the tornado damage was done just north of us about one county over.? ?:eek: What's going on with this weather?? ??? It's the middle of November for cryin' out loud!

>>Well, we survived with no damage.<<

Glad to hear about the NO damage situation.

A suggestion, get a weather radio that has the SAME codes and check each new location you are in and set the codes.  This will alert you whenever the weather service issues an alert for that area.  Also get a cheap scanner and monitor the Amateur 2 meter band for the Skywarn traffic as they will be tracking the storm.

We used my amateur radios several times to monitor storm locations while in IL/IN this spring.  Sure made it nice to be able to locae the storms on a map and see where they were with respect to our location. 

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom