Looks like airstream is hooking up with a German company to make an EV trailer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viajeros

For all the other EV RV nerds out there. Looks like Thor is teaming up with a German company to develop a self propelled EV trailer. Probably mostly for the European market as pick-ups are relatively uncommon there. Kinda cool.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
ZF demo'd this electric power assist trailer axle over a year ago but it didn't get much attention is the USA, where powerful tow vehicles are readily available. Good to see that Thor is looking forward to when buyers may want more energy efficient vehicles but still want to take their RV on the road.

Ex-Calif

Boy, a zillion challenges, barriers and trade offs come to mind. But I am sure they will figure out if the cost, complexity and payload implications makes this commercially viable.

Surprised they aren't touting brake/battery recovery system from the get go. It would seem totally logical to harvest energy on deceleration like most EVs do.

I agree with Gary that for the US market where we enjoy big vehicles and still relatively cheap petroleum products it will be harder to get traction.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Surprised they aren't touting brake/battery recovery system from the get go. It would seem totally logical to harvest energy on deceleration like most EVs do.
Less important when the E-drive is on a vehicle that routinely gets plugged in and/or has its own automatic charging system onboard. When the trailer reaches a campground, it auto-magically gets recharged overnight for the next travel day. If the overnight is boondocking, though, would want to have a generator to power the onboard charger.

Mark_K5LXP

Right, it takes a visit to another country to appreciate the size, power and price point of the vehicles we have, and the width of the roads we have to drive them on. The "commoners" abroad are driving what we would consider "econo-boxes" and that's all they'll probably ever be able to have. So having an enabling technology like a power-assist trailer may offer an opportunity some folks would otherwise never get.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Top Bottom