Looky, Looky What Wyoming Wants To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a interesting "real world" perspective from several Motor Trend staff members. Road-Tripping in Our Long-Term EV Test Cars Has Been … Interesting

IMHO this is not a debate that necessitates that people taking strong emotional positions, even though that's what typically happens. Yes, lots more EVs will be sold over the next several years but the issue of not having enough rapid charging stations has a long way to go before it is resolved.

But that isn't the only infrastructure issue that will need to be addressed. For example, my son is on the board of director of a townhome community in very large planned development in the Raleigh area. At present, if a townhouse owner wanted to charge his EV he would have to run a cable from the front of his house to his assigned parking space but that would mean that the cable would have to cross a concrete sidewalk. Furthermore, the electric power to the homes comes from behind the row of houses, so 240V power isn't available from the front which would severely restrict charging options.

I've challenged my son as to how the community will deal with the inevitability of EV owners wanting to charge their vehicles. In the near term, Duke Power is going to install a couple of charging stations on some of the unassigned parking spaces, but this is just a token effort. I suggested to him that the townhome community ought to establish a capital budget item to escrow the funds that will eventually be needed to rewire much of the community so that every house could have at least one charging station.

Imagine this issue multiplied by many thousands of communities and you get a sense of the problem, just for this one issue.

Last edited:
Here's a interesting "real world" perspective from several Motor Trend staff members. Road-Tripping in Our Long-Term EV Test Cars Has Been … Interesting
Yah for sure. I wouldn’t even think about road tripping in anything but a Tesla. It’s kind of why they have the majority of the market. We have literally never had a single failed charging session and we have road tripped 15200 kilometres just in the last 9 months, and all of that with a trailer. Don’t know why the others can’t figure it out but it seems to be an issue.

The other reliable network is FLO but they don’t have an American network although they are apparently thinking about it.

Apparently the RIvian network is pretty reliable as well but it’s still pretty small.

BC hydro is a super reliable network but it’s only in BC. They are starting to install trailer stall sites as well. DA13CCF7-CC49-4292-944E-E6E2042EB6BA.jpeg

That data is December 23, 2021.

Immigration of over 1 million in 2022 across the US southern border has increased the population in the past year modestly.

January 4, 2023 data ...

"the bulk of last year’s increase in population growth (about 86%) was due to a rise in immigration."

Last edited:
An interesting article indeed. It confirmed a few of my suspicions and documented several concerns that would not have occurred to me, thus it confirmed my view that we, at least, are not ready for an EV so long as our existing 2002 and 2007 vehicles (both have between 60K and 70K miles) continue to work well for us. If one of them dies then maybe an EV or a hybrid, as a replacement.

Maybe the infrastructure and EV designs will get to a viable (for us) situation someday, but at 80 years old I wouldn't count on it- perhaps if I were 60...

An interesting article indeed. It confirmed a few of my suspicions and documented several concerns that would not have occurred to me, thus it confirmed my view that we, at least, are not ready for an EV so long as our existing 2002 and 2007 vehicles (both have between 60K and 70K miles) continue to work well for us. If one of them dies then maybe an EV or a hybrid, as a replacement.

Maybe the infrastructure and EV designs will get to a viable (for us) situation someday, but at 80 years old I wouldn't count on it- perhaps if I were 60...
The problem is really only with non Teslas. But yah, the offline rate of non tesla DC fast charging is not good.

Yesterday, I drove over Monarch Pass, Colorado. It was cold, light snow, and windy. It's winter and it's normal. I don't know what the temperature was, but I was dressed for it.

Current temperature today at 3:51 PM is...

11°F

Feels like -12°F

There's no way that I could drive a vehicle here without the heater and defroster on full hot. The inside of the windshield would freeze up with condensation from my breath.

"The Memphis Winterpocalypse cometh: 5 degrees...Had to drive 9 miles heater off and feet freezing. Hooked up to 350-kW charger...Apparently the Air's battery was not warmed by an hour of driving, during 40 minutes of which I had the cabin heat on at 65 degrees"

Last edited:
Yesterday, I drove over Monarch Pass, Colorado. It was cold, light snow, and windy. It's winter and it's normal. I don't know what the temperature was, but I was dressed for it.

11°F

Feels like -12°F

There's no way that I could drive a vehicle here without the heater and defroster on full hot. The inside of the windshield would freeze up with condensation from my breath.

"The Memphis Winterpocalypse cometh: 5 degrees...Had to drive 9 miles heater off and feet freezing. Hooked up to 350-kW charger...Apparently the Air's battery was not warmed by an hour of driving, during 40 minutes of which I had the cabin heat on at 65 degrees"
Weird. Sounds anecdotal or maybe something is broke. We drive to Vancouver in minus 20 or colder routinely. No issues. 474 kilometers. Over two mountain passes and the Coquihalla summit. We see hundreds of Teslas on this route every time. We are always toasty warm.

Hope you get your car fixed.

Last edited:
Coquihalla summit elevation 4,081 feet.

Monarch Pass elevation 11,312 feet.

Just three (2.77) times higher. LOL! It's great to drive up on the eastern side, but I go to ski up over the west side of which the Civil Engineers must have said to hell with it. Let's make it all 6% grades, winding, remove the guardrails, and blow out a narrow shelf road out of the sheer mountain cliffs. The highest wind gusts in Colorado were recorded on Monarch Pass at 148 MPH. Snow on the west side blows across the highway often making for white out zero visibility conditions.

Last edited:
Coquihalla summit elevation 4,081 feet.

Monarch Pass elevation 11,312 feet.

Just three (2.77) times higher. LOL! It's great to drive up on the eastern side, but I go to ski up over the west side of which the Civil Engineers must have said to hell with it. Let's make it all 6% grades, winding, remove the guardrails, and blow out a narrow shelf road out of the cliffs.
Meh. The elevation wouldn’t make any difference. We haven’t had any winter issues. Definitely prefer it to our Jeep Grand Cherokee for our Vancouver trips.

We have pulled 13 percent grades with the trailer in tow last fall. Gobbles them right up. And the regenerative braking is superior coming back down.

To each his own though.

Cheers.

Sorry, I don't know much about electric vehicles except from what I read on here and on the internet. Never been in one including a golf cart. Haven't even seen any being charged either at the Sam's Club or anywhere else around Grand Junction. Never have even been close to one except on I-70 near Vail. I actually have no interest in them including the regenerative braking or producing electricity for my home when the power is out. I just don't want for the politicians nearly 250 miles away to mandate something on me that I have absolutely no interest in owning and/or driving ever.

Just like I had no interest in wolves. The kind folks in Denver and Aspen though voted to send wolves over to our region. Now I have to read articles about the good things about wolves written by the folks in Denver and Aspen. If wolves are so great then why can't they keep them in their neighborhood, in their backyards, and let them run wild in the parks.

Sorry, I don't know much about electric vehicles except from what I read on here and on the internet. Never been in one including a golf cart. Haven't even seen any being charged either at the Sam's Club or anywhere else around Grand Junction. Never have even been close to one except on I-70 near Vail. I actually have no interest in them including the regenerative braking or producing electricity for my home when the power is out. I just don't want for the politicians nearly 250 miles away to mandate something on me that I have absolutely no interest in owning and/or driving ever.

Just like I had no interest in wolves. The kind folks in Denver and Aspen though voted to send wolves over to our region. Now I have to read articles about the good things about wolves written by the folks in Denver and Aspen. If wolves are so great then why can't they keep them in their neighborhood, in their backyards, and let them run wild in the parks.
I hear ya. 👍

11°F

Feels like -12°F

We camped a lot in that area. There is a great orchard thats part of the Harvest Host network that has the best apple sauce in the world. We had an interesting trip up Hwy 65. :oops: The fast increase of altitude and winding road made us a bit lightheaded , forcing us to do a 3 point turn with a TT in tow in the limited width road and head back down for some oxygen.

We camped a lot in that area. There is a great orchard thats part of the Harvest Host network that has the best apple sauce in the world. We had an interesting trip up Hwy 65. :oops: The fast increase of altitude and winding road made us a bit lightheaded , forcing us to do a 3 point turn with a TT in tow in the limited width road and head back down for some oxygen.
We are trying our first harvest host this fall when we go down the west coast. Seen lots of good reports.

Yesterday, I went skiing at Monarch Mountain with some high school students. One young man had that lightheaded feeling. Altitude isn't just a number, it impacts people. The base lodge is at 10,790 feet and isn't above the treeline. I was aware of altitude sickness having had it myself, spending the day at over 14,000 feet on three different mountains.

When Highway 65 was built in the mid-1960's an old apple orchard was split in two on both ours and my neighbor's land across the highway according to the original Civil Engineering drawings. We still had around eight of the large original trees until the drought hit a few years back. Had to cut most of them down and gave away pickup truck loads of firewood. Now we have only two apple trees on the highway with one as a younger growth. People still stop on the highway to pick the trees full of apples.

As in Wyoming, Colorado has similar concerns with EVs for mountainous remote cold regions...

"Colorado realizes that gas-powered vehicles could continue to be essential for residents in remote, mountainous areas, and the performance of EV-batteries are not as effective in cold temperatures.

“We are still assisting drivers in those edge cases,” Toor (Will Toor, head of the Colorado Energy Office) told E&E."

You can't be special for owning an EV on an EV forum.
These days, you cannot be special for owning an EV anywhere at all. And especially here in CA where EVs are extremely common, especially Tesla.

No way could I count all the Teslas I saw on the road on the way here today.

-Don- Turlock, CA

. But yah, the offline rate of non tesla DC fast charging is not good.
The big problem is nobody fixes them when they break. Fallon, NV, Hawthorne, NV, EB I-80 Dooner Rest Stop, CA and several others have been broken for more than a year. That is the CCS charging.

I have yet to hear of a Tesla charger that didn't work.

With me, it's only an issue on my electric motorcycles. I rarely go far in any of my cars, so home charging is all I need.

For more serious trips, I still use ICE, like the Y2K RV I am now in.

-Don- Turlock, CA

The big problem is nobody fixes them when they break. Fallon, NV, Hawthorne, NV, EB I-80 Dooner Rest Stop, CA and several others have been broken for more than a year. That is the CCS charging.

I have yet to hear of a Tesla charger that didn't work.

With me, it's only an issue on my electric motorcycles. I rarely go far in any of my cars, so home charging is all I need.

For more serious trips, I still use ICE, like the Y2K RV I am now in.

-Don- Turlock, CA
Yep. Up in Canada it’s the gas station chargers. Petrocan, chevron and shell are all putting in a ton of chargers, but like you say if a charger goes off line it is off for months.

But as I said earlier, the independents like FLO, BC hydro and of course Tesla are super reliable and well positioned.

Now I have to read articles about the good things about wolves written by the folks in Denver and Aspen.
Alaska has been going round with the Feds on the wolf issue for ages. Those who live remote have to compete with the wolves for caribou and moose. Rumor has it that since they can't legally thin the packs with rifles, some resort to running them to death with their snowmobiles.

Back
Top Bottom