Los Angles Ca. to Dead horse AK best Route (Easiest)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

What is the best Route from Los Angles California to Dead horse Alaska?
Looking for the Easiest over land route.

First a couple of questions.  What will you be driving, what time of year and why do you want to drive there?

I-15 to Montana to Calgary to Dawson Creek on up the Alcan to Whitehorse to Fairbanks. About 4000 miles to Deadhorse.

From Fairbanks the only road to Deadhorse is the haul road. This is close to 500 miles of dirt road with only one place, Coldfoot, to get service of any kind. The Hilltop truck stop about 20 miles outside of Fairbanks is the last place to get fuel heading north. In the summer there is a small building that has hamburgers at the Yukon River bridge but I don't remember them having fuel. Next fuel after Hilltop is Coldfoot 240 miles. It's another 240 miles to Deadhorse.

I worked for Gray Line of Alaska and we ran bus tours from Fairbanks to Deadhorse. It was a two day trip by bus each way. They overnighted at Coldfoot. I don't remember any of our buses ever making that trip without one or two flat tires. It's a trucking road and the trucks don't slow down for anything so be prepared to get showered with gravel when they pass you.

If you drive straight through I would guess it would be a 16 hour trip or more from Fairbanks.

The last time I was up there, I wouldn't take any vehicle I owned up that road.

Work is the only reason to go to that forsaken place. I am wondering why you suggest traveling via I-15 and Calgary, that is a lot of extra miles for nothing. I-5 to exit 276 just before the border then highway 1 to Cache Creek. From there 97 to Dawson Creek. An alternative is go west on the Yellowhead, highway 16, to 37 then north but the condition of 37 depends on the weather.

dcrbtt said:
What is the best Route from Los Angles California to Dead horse Alaska?
Looking for the Easiest over land route.
Since this is a RV forum I assume you will be taking a RV. 

In the summer 2016 gas was available at the Yukon River bridge.  It was about $1.00 a gallon higher than at Coldfoot.

Here are two blogs of RV travel from Fairbanks along the Haul Road (Dalton Hwy):

First our blog about going up about 233 miles and turning around:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2016/06/driving-dalton-highway-may-29-june-1.html

Second a blog from a couple who took their 23' travel trailer all the way to Deadhorse: http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-608614-arctic-circle-summer-solstice-highway-road-dalton-day

Not an easy drive in any vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom