Lost house dc power in 2005 journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neub

Dry camping and was running generator to run the microwave and top off the batteries and everything shut down. Checked all the breakers nothing popped. House voltage on the all-in-one center shows 0 volts. Turn the inverter on and the displays shows 12.4 volts and if I turn the inverter on the ac outlets work. Cant start the generator even when using battery boast. Was getting dark so i ran a jumper wire from the chassis batteries to the refrigerator for tonight.

Didnt pull out the house batteries to check the 250 amp house battery fuse but if the inverter turns on it should to be ok.

Not thinking it is a ground if the inverter is getting power but not that experienced in tracking down strange electrical issues.

Anyone have an idea where to start. Thanks

1. Is your salesman switch off? That would account for things working via converter from the genset, then not when something tripped.

2. Check the breaker on the genset, it has it's own.

3. The inverter may be fed from a separate line from the primary DC fuse, so it'd be worth checking.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Salesman switch has been cycled several times.

Breaker on gen set has been cycled several times

All power for house batteries goes through the 250 amp fuse except for the solar system i installed

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thinking last night since i couldnt sleep could the solenoid (or whatever it is called) that the salesmen switch turns on and off fail when it is in on position and shut everything down and the inverter line doesnt isnt controlled by the salemen swith solenoid?

"Salesman Switch" - Generic term for a switch that ostensibly cuts off all house power to the coach. Named so to describe what a salesman would activate when showing an RV for sale, then turning off to eliminate having to turn individual switches on and off in the RV. Sounds ideal in principle but marketing, engineering or legal teams became involved and not quite "all" loads may be controlled, resulting in some amount of power still being drawn from the batteries even when "off". But it generally implies what would otherwise be called the "master switch".

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

There's two solenoids somewhere in your electrical bay - one is the "battery mode" solenoid (bridges house and chassis battery banks together) and the other is a continuous duty solenoid that turns on or off house battery power. That solenoid might not be operating for whatever reason.

"Salesman Switch" - Generic term for a switch that ostensibly cuts off all house power to the coach. Named so to describe what a salesman would activate when showing an RV for sale, then turning off to eliminate having to turn individual switches on and off in the RV. Sounds ideal in principle but marketing, engineering or legal teams became involved and not quite "all" loads may be controlled, resulting in some amount of power still being drawn from the batteries even when "off". But it generally implies what would otherwise be called the "master switch".

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thank you for that, I may be confusing your terms, by house power do you mean the RV itself and the master battery switch? e.g. all 12v powered things are turned on and then controlled by the master battery switch being on or off?

House equipment is the "living area", so interior lights, fans, TV, appliances powered from house batteries or converter via shore power.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Back
Top Bottom