Lost vent/fan cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

We had a harrowing drive today from Casper, WY to Gillette,WY. There were some pretty high winds. Upon arrival at our RV site, we found that the roof cover over the bathroom fan was gone. The forecast for next 2 days calls for continued high winds of 15 to 35, gust over 40 to 50 mph. And 60% chance of rain Sunday night.

I have been pondering what could be put over the opening on the roof that would survive the winds and keep rain out. My first thought was to duct tape a plastic garbage bag over the opening but not sure it would survive the wind.

Any suggestions on a temporary patch until we can get a new cover installed. I'm also a little concerned about us getting on the roof in those winds, but need to do something before it rains.

Thanks,
Debra

Take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the size of the opening then use your Duct tape to secure the perimeter of the cardboard to the opening. Next cover the rest of the cardboard with strips of Duct tape to water proof the exposed cardboard.
should hold for quite a while even driving if everything is dry to begin tape application

I would cut a piece of plywood to go over the top and make it 1/4” bigger than the opening on all four sides. Then remove the inside trim work which holds the screen. Then get two pieces of 1/4” threaded Rod (all thread) with nuts and flat washers. Then drill two holes in opposite corners of the plywood for the rods. Extend them down through the plywood and on the inside of the rv, have the rods go through a piece of scrap wood like strapping. Tighten all the nuts. Then you could tape the edges of the plywood put some tape over the nuts on top to prevent leakage.

Part of the question is, how long does it need to last? If it is going to be quite a long time, then I would go with the cutting board suggestion. I would also plan to check it very closely before and after any travel that you do.

Figure out what brand of cover you need, go buy a new one. Replacing it wont take as long as figuring out how to temporairly cover it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This morning I went up on the roof to measure the opening and found that the fan motor sticks up about 1/2" above the flange of the housing. So putting anything solid over the opening won't work. We are looking for something flexible to put over the opening just to get us by for a day or so until we can get a new cover. We need to drive to Rapid City tomorrow and will be there at least one week. During that time we will try to figure out what brand the fan is and get a new cover or alternately replace the fan.

If you went with a piece of plywood all you would have to do is bore a hole in the center then just tape over it to seal from water.

Those covers are almost universal, most are made by Ventline but several aftermarket companies also make them that will fit. Wallmart should have a replacement "top". Almost any RV center should as well. You're not the first to do this! It's just the plastic piece with the arm on it. It slides into a groove from the side in about ten seconds. It will take less time to install the correct part than to fabircate something temporary. You tube has instructional videos.

Take a picture from inside and go to an RV service and parts shop. They can usually look at that and tell what you need. I needed one for my previous coach and went to such a place. The guy asked what coach I had. I told hm and he walked over and took one off the shelf. It was exactly right. There are about 6 (maybe more) different designs.

If, like mine, your fan is over the shower, just close the shower door/curtain for the few days necessary. Any rain will just go into the grey tank and it will not be enough to matter. Odds are you will not get even an inch of rain.

get a roll of carpet cover. it is like saran wrap only a lot heavier and sticky on one side.
i broke a sky light and coudn't get one for about 2 weeks,was advised to put this on and it held beautifully till the new one got here.
i get mine at home depot but most large hardware stores carry as it is very popular with realtors

We have had a crazy week with one thing after another needing attending to. We did get the vent lid replaced. We ended up putting a piece of cardboard with duct tape over the opening to get us by until Monday when we could get a replacement lid. The covering helpd up through light rain and the drive from Gillette, WY to Rapid City, SD. We went to an RV dealer to get a new one. The first one didn't have the correct hinge so went back the next day. This one was correct and was an easy install.

The next problem to attend to was the lights on our towed vehicle stopped working. It is impossible to get an RV dealer to do anything here right now as they are booked up repairing hail damaged rigs. So we went to a U-haul location. The person who does the trailer hitch installs agreed to look at it for us. So next day, we took the MH there. It turned out to be a blown fuse which we hadn't thought to check, but will should it happen again. Thankfully that was an easy fix.

Then, Thursday morning we lost our electrical shore power. Knowing we wouldn't get into a dealer, we started calling mobile RV repair techs. When I was here four years ago I had some work done by a mobile tech. We called him and he came out Friday afternoon to work on it. It turned out that one of the connections in the transfer switch had melted (photo). That was very scary. I don't know why that would happen, but hopefully it won't again!

Saturday we finally had a free day and went to Custer State Park for the day. Monday morning we leave here to begin the trek south for the winter.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions on the vent lid. Now we know the correct hinge type so replacing it again will be a much simpler task.

Attachments

• Transfer Switch.JPG
    Transfer Switch.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom