Loud squeaking noise coming from overhead bunk area of motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

I have a 20102 32' Fleetwood Tioga Ranger Class C that I have driven 154,000 miles, and right now I am in New Mexico, headed to Arizona, and then California. About a month ago, I started hearing a very loud squeaking noise that I thought was likely coming from where the cab-over bed attaches to the chassis. The noise happens when I drive, especially over very slightly rough roads, but goes away at high speeds of 60 - 65 MPH. As I am driving, the noise comes from in front of and slightly above me. Trust me that it is very loud--loud enough for my son to hear it over my cell phone as I was driving.

In my rig, the cab is attached directly above the driver, but with a circular cutout in the bunk area so that the driver can stand between the two seats without hitting your head. (The bunk folds down when I have company.) I know from the past that there are snaps for the privacy drape along the connecting place. Several years ago, I watched a mechanic remove the snap screws and fold back the vinyl trim to view the connection between metal of chassis cab and the fiberglass of the motorhome. I was thinking that maybe a few screws were loose and needed to be tightened, but I have not tried to remove any screws to check it. I have an appointment at the Fleetwood/REV factory service place in Decatur, IN, in late June.

OK, now here is what I started thinking about today and wondered if any of you have ever had this happen to you. About two months ago, I had my cracked windshield replaced, so I now have a nice new windshield. As I was driving today, I started wondering if maybe this irritating noise was really coming from the windshield instead of the chassis to motorhome connection. I try hard not to hit chuckholes, but it is possible the windshield has lost some of whatever has been gluing it to the cab when I hit a small one??? Could the flexing of the cab be causing the windshield connection to squeak???

While I was driving today, I put my hand on the cab to RV connection and then on the windshield to see if I could feel anything moving. And I could not. Also, I cannot feel any air coming in, but I really need a second person to stand up and check this while I am driving. Unfortunately, I don't have any passengers. It does not feel like anything is coming apart and will fly off as I drive down the highway, but it is irritating.

Anyone ever have a newly installed windshield come loose???

Yikes! Maybe when you get yo your destination you could ask someone to help you check it by driving out and back?

Last edited:
You really need to find a passenger or driver to help investigate. Regular car / truck windshield are glued in with a sealant, I find it really hard to believe that is the squeek, and I have never heard of one coming loose. I have heard of poor job sealing and a leak though. I suppose anything is possible. Maybe some items they removed during the process. Sometimes frames and body get twisted in add ways. You might intentionally park on a curb or on a block camping, let it sit for an hour, just to put the frame/body in a slight twist and see if it helps or hurts.

Although not impossible, the windshield and also roof of the cab where it's cut away and attached to the bunk would be lower on my list of suspects.

Do check the a-pillar trim, if it was removed for the window replacement at all. Might be a clip that wasn't pushed all the way in, or is loose.

If you have any paneling, tv mount, cabinetry, windows, or anything in the bunk area, I'd have a passenger help chase it down....highly likely it could be something up there too.

Do you think I could get someone who could also run alongside me?

I will definitely get my California son to sit in the passenger seat and check it out. I will be there in three weeks.

Nothing removed from A-pillar when the new windshield was installed. I stood there and watched most of the process. I do have an appointment at the factory service place in Decatur on June 28, if I cannot figure it out by then. Also need a replacement awning and two slide toppers, plus tail lights are not working, so they will have a lot to do, but it is cheaper than buying a new rig, which I cannot afford. (I have turn signals, brake lights, backup lights, and four-way flashers, but no tail lights or running lights. Had several people, including an auto electrical guy find problem and could not, other than fuse blows as soon as they put it in.)

Back
Top Bottom