Louisiana Gulf Coast Beaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBar

I have 3 kids + grandchildren who want to meet up for a gulf coast sandy beach vacation. I know Alabama and Texas have nice beaches but Louisiana or western Mississippi would be halfway between us. I can't find any sandy beaches on the gulf coast there that don't have big downsides. No RV camping, flesh eating bacteria in warmer months, lots of trash, knee deep water 100 yards from shore, no restaurants within 20 miles, etc. Are there any nice sandy beaches on the gulf coast in that area?

We were just in Louisiana in March. We found

B6B56636-916B-4429-B6BF-102E0F5769C5.jpeg

1713018042552.jpeg

It’s not like Florida or Texas, but there really weren’t any beaches where we stayed(Abbeville, la).

There’s a brand new RV park there as well as cabins

Last edited:
As a Louisiana native, my suggestion is go east at least as far as Gulf Shores, Alabama, or west to Galveston, the water is usually rather brown at Galveston, but there is a beach, and shoreside activities. Across south Louisiana there are a handful of "beaches", they are generally hard to get to, and are only limited strips of sand surrounded by mud flats and marshland, certainly with limited services nearby in the way of restaurants, etc.

I have 3 kids + grandchildren who want to meet up for a gulf coast sandy beach vacation. I know Alabama and Texas have nice beaches but Louisiana or western Mississippi would be halfway between us. I can't find any sandy beaches on the gulf coast there that don't have big downsides. No RV camping, flesh eating bacteria in warmer months, lots of trash, knee deep water 100 yards from shore, no restaurants within 20 miles, etc. Are there any nice sandy beaches on the gulf coast in that area?
The beaches in MS. will be on the MS. Sound inside the barrier islands, so you're not actually on the Gulf. La. beaches leave much to be desired as well, those below Sulphur are largely trashed. Try Gulf Shores,.Ala, not that much further east and the best beaches between the Padre Island National Seashore in Texas and Pensacola.

As a Louisiana native, my suggestion is go east at least as far as Gulf Shores, Alabama, or west to Galveston, the water is usually rather brown at Galveston, but there is a beach, and shoreside activities. Across south Louisiana there are a handful of "beaches", they are generally hard to get to, and are only limited strips of sand surrounded by mud flats and marshland, certainly with limited services nearby in the way of restaurants, etc.
Gulf Shores is pretty nice. Lots to do as well.

We stayed on Dauphin Island very near Gulf Shores and traveled to Gulf Shores. We rented a beach house at Dauphin Island. The beaches were just OK. You look out at oil rigs.

We've rented condos at Gulf Shores and that area is great. It's a short drive for us. But it would be a 2 day drive there and back for my kids coming from OK. Who have jobs and won't want to spend 4 days just driving.

And the beaches at Galveston and Corpus Christi are good also, but they would be a 2 day drive there and back for us. My wife has health and mobility issues so a 1 day drive is about her limit. I guess there won't be any halfway meeting point.

The Cypremort Point State Park Ohiosnowbird posted sounded interesting and I appreciate that suggestion. My wife and I may try that out. But not with young kids in tow. Reviews on tripadvisor said there are warning signs about bacteria in the water. Like most of the beaches in LA and MS. I don't want our grandkids playing in that water :(

What about Lake Texoma in Texas? We’re going to Texas in September/October and I was looking at Eisenhower state park, there’s another one in OK Texoma State park. Not sandy beaches, but the lake photos I’ve seen look pretty nice. Fits some of the constraints, maybe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom