Love Bugs...Windshield Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wtidefan

We are having terrible problems with the love bugs on the windshield.  Is there a product that covers the windshield (like NASCAR uses) that peels away?

I don't know about peal away products, and I don't think I would wish to use them however there is Diamond Fusion, this is kind of like a super rain-x product (apply once not every so often) and is dealer applied, about a kilo-buck for a motor home, half that for a mini-van (priced a lumina APV, may have it done, not sure yet)

Advantages... Hydrophobic, (Afraid of water?) actually repells water, making rain sluce off much better giving better vision during rain storms.  Very very smooth, bugs wipe off far easier, snow and ice do not stick as well if that is an issue with you (it's not with me, at this time, snow + ice = winterized rig not moving till spring) and B-Bs bound off better (or whatever they fired at it, that is it reduces the size of stone chips.  Comes with a free spray bottle of diamond fusion window cleaner (Well, free after you pay the kilobuck)

This is the product I have had explained to me... There may well be others as well

http://www.dfinanotechnology.com/  for more information on diamond fusion

NOTE: Personal expierence:  Rain was shed very well by my treated whindshield and buggs came off far easier from the motor home than they do from the car as well.  I've not bounced any stones off it yet, at least not that I've noticed

Smoky

We use DWG on the windshield and then clean it with same and it works very well.  For the rest of the front we have a mask which is much easier to clean than the actual front of the coach and it protects the front from stones and other things as well.

By the way, there is another product I do use on the towed which offers some of the same advantages of the Diamond Fusion (But not all) it is a very good glass cleaner called Stoner Invisible Glass. 

Glass cleaned with this will shed water better, and tend to appear a bit more "Clear"  I suspect it has a wax like product in it (Simular to Rain-x) but am not sure.. I know it does a good job, good enough that window tint types use it to pre-clean before applying tint

I have 4 cans lying about

Lorna:

I tried DWG on the windshield this week and it could not touch the bugs.  Maybe it is the cool climate here in NW MT?  I have had limited success with denatured alcohol, but cannot use that on anything but glass.

My friend who just left here to return to Idaho raves about using full strength Simply Green on the windshield.  I plan to give that a try this week.

I have diamond shield installed by the factory on the full body paint on the front of the coach.  It does a great job guarding against stones.  But seems pretty worthless with bugs.  But I DO use denatured alcohol on the front because the diamond shield instructions recommend that for bugs.  Again with limited success.  I don't know if I could use full Simply Green on diamond shield or not.  Trying to decide.

The only thing I am sure of is that I HATE BUGS.  Except when I have a good fly rod in my hands.  :D

Smoky

Yes I hate bugs, too.  Unfortunately they are a fact of life.

Lorna, have not yet had a chance to try full strength Simply Green but hope to get to that tomorrow.  We pull out of here on Monday.

Ron, if you are reading the mail, we will not be going by way of Boise.  Already snow flurries and we are getting worried.  We want to go by way of Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, and North Rim, but not sure if that will be a safe route for us.

Plain old water and a nylon net scrubbing pad works on the Florida variety.  I use my windshield cleaning brush, the one with a nylon-covered sponge on one side and a sqeegee on the other.  Some detergent (e.g. Simple Green) will help loosen them, but mostly it just takes a lot of flushing  [and elbow grease].

Smoky

The roads into the north rim will probably be open only another couple of weeks. Better get a move on. ;D

Smoky

Another way is to use a single edge razor blade and it doesn't scratch the windshield, but don't cut the fingers. ;) ;)

Smoky,

So far we are still planning on doing Boise.  Will be leaving Sams Camp on the 28 heading down through Bozman, West Yellowstone over to Boise.  We don't see a problem yet but will be watching the weather.  Raining here at Sam's Camp with winter storm advisories but this early it shouldnb't be a problem on our planned departure date.  Have you left McCall yet?

Ron:

Because of snow we opted to skip McCall.  Heading straight south this morning.  Watch out for Yellowstone.  They had 4 inches of snow in the hgiher elevations.

Gary:

I agree belatedly.  Elbow grease is the only thing I am finding that works.  I expect to spend many hours in the future, scrubbing on the front end of my coach.  Maybe this will help reduce my golfing expense?? ;D

Smoky

>> Elbow grease is the only thing I am finding that works.? I expect to spend many hours in the future, scrubbing on the front end of my coach.<<

Yes that is the only thing that works.....DON"T BELIEVE any of the snake oil salesman that claim their product will make it EASIER to remove the bugs.? I use only water & two terry cloth rags, I also clean he front end EVERY driving day so the bugs don't get baked on. It takes me 30 mi to clean the cap above the windshield, windshield & front cap.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Being from south Louisiana love bugs were a way of life ! We used a product sold at nearly all auto parts places in that part of the country as well as K-Mart. It worked well at removal, but prevention is the best. We always used a screen in front of the radiator and very heavy coats of wax on the front leading edges of painted areas.
Perhaps someone still living in that area can help with the product name.

This stuff works well. Just peel it off after you arrive and the bugs are gone. No cleaning needed. (Not meant for windshields)

www.motorsports-sw.com/trackshield

Thetfords "Bug Buster" sold at CW works great. Spray it on, wait one minute and hose it off. Yeah Right. I use a long handle car wash brush after the minute then hose it off. Works really good.

We have love bugs here in NW Fl also. Why they call them "love" is beyond me. The WD40 application seems to work as a reduced elbow grease effort for me. The dryer sheet is more effective but requires more rinsing. Home remedies rule!

seabreeze331 said:
The WD40 application seems to work as a reduced elbow grease effort for me. The dryer sheet is more effective but requires more rinsing.

I believe WE40 is a petroleum based product and as such should not be used on fiberglass or Jel-coating. A dryer sheet soaked in water will absolutely remove bugs with the least amount of elbow grease. It does leave a filmy residue which needs an ample amount of water to clear away and for that reason I don't use it on the windshield.

FLYBOY said:
I believe WE40 is a petroleum based product and as such should not be used on fiberglass or Jel-coating. A dryer sheet soaked in water will absolutely remove bugs with the least amount of elbow grease. It does leave a filmy residue which needs an ample amount of water to clear away and for that reason I don't use it on the windshield.

This is from the WD-40 website:
"What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."

Back
Top Bottom