Low bridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

How do we avoid them?

Does DeLorme, Garmin, Microsoft software ID them?  Are there web sites that list them?

Or is this like the days of the ancient mariners where each captain has their own set of precious "rudders" (see the book Shogun) that they guard with their life that identify where the reefs are.

Smoky,

I've really only been at this a little over a year so I'm sure that you'll get better advice.

Interstates and US highway's are likely not an issue.

We've encountered three that were were a cause for concern on State or local roads.  We were warned well before.

You need to know how high you are.  Bridge #1 we were had almost a foot of clearance and were meeting 18 wheelers that seemed higher than us.  So we went on through.

Bridge #2 was on this trip.  We tried to follow 411 through Maryvile and couldn't make the turn.  We winged it back up to I-40 and encountered one with inches to spare.  That was copilot get out and looker.  We squeeked through.  There may be new ashpault since the sign so....

Bridge #3 was on the same wandering through uncharted woods.  It was a no way.  But there was a bypass.

How to avoid?  Stay on Interstates and US Highways.  But what's the fun in that. 

I became aware and concerned about this issue following a forum discussion a year or so ago, and now find myself reading the posted clearance of almost every bridge and overpass. As Joel says, freeways and main highways aren't normally a problem, although I've noticed a wide spread in the posted clearances even on freeways. What's even more of a concern is that we've encountered some overpasses where it would have been too late to stop had the posted clearance been too low.

Meanwhile, we haven't yet encountered a bridge/overpass that we couldn't get under. But I'm constantly reminded of the story of the bus stuck under an overpass and the passing boy scout who suggested they let air out of the tires in order to get it unstuck.

BTW I'm also vigilant when we enter some gas stations. The truck island of a Flying J is unlikely to be an issue, but your local mom and pop gas station just might have low clearance. In these cases, one of us gets out and spots the coach as the driver very slowly inches forward.

Get a truckers atlas from any truck stop.  It lists all the low clearances for roads on the national truck network as well as showing clearly the truck network itself.

Keep in mind the posted clearances on overpasses may not be correct.  Often they are not updated when the road is resurfaced and there may not be as much clearance as you think.  The important thing is to know by measuring your height so you don't have to guess.  Few RVs are much more than 12'6" high and most overpasses will be a minimum of 13'6".  Also watch for roads that aren't level.  If the road dips under the overpass, that will also reduce your clearance.

"How to avoid?  Stay on Interstates and US Highways.  But what's the fun in that. "

Joel, you have described my concern and feelings like a hammer striking the nail squarely on the head.  :(

Ned, great idea on the Trucker Atlas.  I have never seen one but I will be on the lookout for it.  My coach is only 12' 01" so I guess I have some solace in that.  But WOW, I cannot imagine what a terrible thing it would be to hit a low bridge with no forewarning.  YIKES!

At least I am a 55 mph man with no schedule to make, so maybe my increased reaction time will be of help.

Smoky,

Most !8 wheelers are higher than you.  The Truckers Atlas shows normal truck routes by highlighting the roads.  When you venture onto a road you are not sure of just check the ATLAS before departing.  If you want to travel a road not shown as a truck route check under clearances for the states you will be traveling in.  You will find you are not really restricted where you travel if you plan ahead.

The next time you are in a truck stop ask for one.  I forget the cost but they are worth it.

Hope Big Sky is meeting up to your expectations.

Smoky said:
"How to avoid?  Stay on Interstates and US Highways.  But what's the fun in that. "

Joel, you have described my concern and feelings like a hammer striking the nail squarely on the head.  :(

Ned, great idea on the Trucker Atlas.  I have never seen one but I will be on the lookout for it.  My coach is only 12' 01" so I guess I have some solace in that.  But WOW, I cannot imagine what a terrible thing it would be to hit a low bridge with no forewarning.  YIKES!

At least I am a 55 mph man with no schedule to make, so maybe my increased reaction time will be of help.

Smoky

The Truckers' Atlas can be found in most truck stops. Flying J carries it.

You may want to recheck your vertical clearance. Newmar may list your coach with a 12'1" height but that usually would not include your satellite dish. You may have to add 4-6" to your height.

Smoky

In addition to the other great advice, don't forget to watch for those arched tunnel entrances, especially the ones that are at angle to the approach road rather than straight ahead. There may be cases where you just have to move towards the center of the road.

Copilot 8 softyware has an RV routing that will give you 12'4". My 5er goes up to 12'8" and I have had no trouble so far. You can also get a file to download for S&T on the Discovery owners web page.

BruceinFL said:
Copilot 8 softyware has an RV routing that will give you 12'4". My 5er goes up to 12'8" and I have had no trouble so far. You can also get a file to download for S&T on the Discovery owners web page.

Thanks for the tip I will have to down load that S&T file.

Lemme know when and where you find it Ron. Thanks.

BruceinFL said:

Could you please provid a link to the file for S&T.  Thanks.

Go to http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm for all of the Street Atlas draw files and Street&Trips files available.  They include the low clearance files as well as many other very useful data sets.  I use them all the time in Street Atlas.  If you find them useful, a note of thanks to Bob Cook, the site owner, would be in order.

Do read all of the information on that page as there are some important notes regarding the data.

Thanks for posting that link Ned. Lots of good stuff there. I'm still reading before downloading anything  :)

It's worth checking that page every few weeks as the files are updated often.  Update notices are also posted on the Escapee Boondockers Yahoo group as well.

Ned:

I tried searching for the escapee boondocker's Yahoo group but could not find it.  Do you know what ID they are using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom