Low Point Drains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone,

I'm winterizing my new 2018 Keystone Springdale 3030BH for the first time.  I'm going to blow out the lines with my air compressor, but I wanted to drain all of the lines the best I could through the low point drains first.  I have two questions/problems:

1) I've attached a picture of the low point drain I found for the fresh water tank.  I'm almost positive this is for the fresh water tank because it's directly below that tank.  I'm sure this is a plumbing 101 question, but how do I go about tapping this drain?  There's no valve to turn to open it, do I need to screw on/attach some sort of adapter or release valve?

2) My bigger question is: where the heck are the other low point drains for the cold and hot water?  This is a big trailer, but I've scoured every inch of the underbelly and I can't find any low point drain other than the one for the freshwater tank I mentioned above.  I've looked all over, but given particular attention to the areas around the front axle, stairs, side opposite of the slideouts, etc. - based on what I've read for common locations online.  No lines, no caps, nothing.  There are a few well secured hatches (SEE attached picture) that I haven't taken off, could they behind that?  Or is it possible that such a new camper has no low point drains for the cold and hot water lines, or does Keystone just do something weird with the location of those drains?

Bonus question 3: is it even really necessary to drain the lines through low point drains if I'm going to blow the lines out with my compressor using the various taps, and then pump antifreeze through the lines?  Maybe that's just overkill

Thanks as always guys and gals

Attachments

• IMG_3949.jpg
    IMG_3949.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 66
First, what is the make and model of the TT?  If you wish, click on Profile above and add a signature with this information.

1.  I believe if you twist the "hose fitting", it will open a valve to drain the tank.  The fitting is there so you can direct WHERE it drains to.

2.  There are certainly low point drains, but I have no idea where.  On my FW, they are driver side near the water inlet and drain valve area.
    The low point drains need blown down, too!  An alternate method to locate them is to NOT blow them down and see where it leaks next spring  ;D  :eek:  ::)  ;)

3.  YES it IS necessary to find and drain the low point drains.  If you just blow out the rest of the system, water will remain there, and can freeze, causing a leak next spring.  Adding antifreeze will probably NOT dilute this isolated section of pipe / water.

If you properly blow out the system, there should not be enough water left to freeze, thus no antifreeze needed.  Add some to the sink drains and toilets.  This maintains the seal in the drain and keeps the toilet seal moistened.

Sorry to nitpick, but the tank drain is not the same as low point drains.  "Low Point" refers to a drains at the lowest physical position in the plumbing lines (not the tank) and there will be one each in cold and hot water lines.  You appear to have found the fresh tank drain, but will have to search further for hot & cold low point drains.

Sometimes the drain spout simply protrudes through the bottom of the RV and is capped, and sometimes there is a valve in a hidden location somewhere above it. I've seen them under false floor or wall panels, hidden under cabinets, etc.

Looking at your 1st picture, it appears there's glob of insulation hanging down next to the blue pipe. Is there a pipe hidden in there?

Usually the low point drains are not hidden, Mine are at the very back of the TT

I almost guarantee that your 2018 Keystone Springdale 3030BH came with manuals the clearly explain where all this is.  If I invested the $$$ in a new TT, I would look at the manual and make sure I was doing it right  :))

Be careful blowing air, Too high of pressure will damage plumbing.

I was surprised how poor the factory manuals are for our four winds. Under the winterizing section it says to drain the low points, but never identifies where they are.

Looking at that first pic again, there MAY be another drain hidden in the insulation.  Careless insulation spraying to cover a drain would be no surprise!

As Happy said, it's new.  Call the Dealer!

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the responses.  Checking the manual was my step 1 but they?re fairly generic regarding some issues, and this was one of them.  I assume they do that intentionally so they can use the same manual for a few different models and floor plans.  I got this beauty through a private sale so unfortunately no dealer to call (practically new though at a silly price - only used twice).

Any way, all issues are resolved.  After over an hour of crawling on my gravel driveway scouring the underbelly, my wife came out to bring me a coffee.  I explained what I?d been doing all day using a few curse words and insults towards the mystery men and women who manufactured the trailer.  ?I see, well what are these? she says, pointing to an area tucked up in the wheel well that can actually be seen standing next to the trailer.  Well those my friends were the low point drains. I calmly sipped my coffee, thanked my wife, and finished winterizing a humbled man covered in gravel scrapes.

On to the next debacle ...

Glad you got it figured out.  :)

Ya, Those manuals I'm sure can be generic.  You didn't forget the outside shower did you? 

On our old Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel, the low point drains were tucked up high in the 3" gap between the steps and wheel well wall.  They could only be seen with a flashlight.  Also,  the factory had installed threaded caps on the lines very tightly, and with no room for wrenches, it was almost impossible to use them. Valves were installed for easier draining in the future.

Back
Top Bottom