Low water pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Suddenly the water pressure in my toilet is barely a trickle.  I've had this happen before.  The place I just left, the pressure was fine.  Here the kitchen and bathroom faucets are passable, but the pressure is noticeably less.  Any way to get water to the toilet?  I thought to fill the fresh water tank, which I never use (or sanitize), and run the pump, but it won't work with the shore water on. 

--pat

Pat said:
Suddenly the water pressure in my toilet is barely a trickle.  I've had this happen before.  The place I just left, the pressure was fine.  Here the kitchen and bathroom faucets are passable, but the pressure is noticeably less.  Any way to get water to the toilet?  I thought to fill the fresh water tank, which I never use (or sanitize), and run the pump, but it won't work with the shore water on. 

--pat

Pat

Did the water pressure drop right after you installed the water filte?. There could be a restriction there. My first suggestion would have been to turn on the water pump but I've not heard of a setup like yours that it's either/or. Live and learn.

Do you have any filters in the water line that could be getting plugged up? If yes change the filter cartrage to see if that helps. ? Is the campground on city water or a well?  The water pump usually works if the shore water pressure is low.

Pressure's been low since I got here a week and a half ago.  Filter's been on only one day.  I was hoping the shorter hoses through the filter might speed things up, but they don't.  I'm going to turn the water off completely and try the pump to make sure it's ok.  I will look at the instructions for it, but I read somewhere it doesn't work when the system is already pressurized from city water.

--pat

Pat,

Turn off the city water, turn on the pump. Pump will come on as soon as the pressure drops from running the water.

Gee Pat low voltage, low water pressure,  hope the sewer don't plug up next.  From you experience so far that park is not very impressive.  Maybe it is impressive just not favorably.  What has the management got to say about the water pressure.  I would assume the camp ground is on the same water system as the house.  What is the pressure?  If you have 40LBS pressure it could be the park water lines are too small and the flow rate is insufficient.

Pat said:
Pressure's been low since I got here a week and a half ago. Filter's been on only one day. I was hoping the shorter hoses through the filter might speed things up, but they don't. I'm going to turn the water off completely and try the pump to make sure it's ok. I will look at the instructions for it, but I read somewhere it doesn't work when the system is already pressurized from city water.

--pat

Pat:

Our pump comes on IF the city pressure is lower than the shut-off pressure of the pump, otherwise pump stays off.

I have a valve with gauge right at the faucet, and it shows a little below 40lbs of pressure.  I know I have had low water pressure here in Mesa before, just never this low.  Most of these old RV parks have very old infrastructure. 

I did hear that the campground is on a septic system, and people are to be careful with dumping. 

--pat

Have you tried putting water in the fresh water tank and turning the pump on then running water to see if the pump will come on?

Ron:  Yes, I did partly fill the fresh water tank.  Turned on the pump, and it didn't come on, but I had the city water still on.  It would be counterproductive to have to go outside and turn off the water in order to turn on the pump to flush the toilet.  Kind of complicated.  I like what somebody said about having a pump that kicks on when the city water pressure goes below a certain level.  That's nice.  I think I'll look into one of those.

I don't use the fresh water tank and realized after I put water in it that I didn't really want to run it through my system unless necessary. 

--pat

Pat,
40 psi is not considered "low pressure" and many public water supplies are set to deliver 38-40 psi in normal operation.  55-60 psi is considered "high".

You probably already have a pump that kicks on when pressure falls - that's how demand pumps work and they are nearly universal in RVs.  RV demand water pumps typically operate between 40-48 psi, meaning they come on when pressure drops below 40 and shut off when it reaches 48.  Those numbers are real precise, though, and there can be a couple psi variance even among pumps of the same make and model.  And it is perfectly OK to leave the pump on while connected to city water, as long as there is adequate water in the tank (be sure to refill it occasionally if you do this).

Most filters severely restrict the water flow volume, even though pressure remains unchanged.  I suspect it is this restricted vlume that is causing your toilet flush woes.

If the water pump did not come on it means that either the city supply is equal to what the water pump outputs or it's greater

I had low pressure problems with city water in my NEW MH, but you see I was using the old regulator which I've had for oh, 20 odd years, and as it turns out it's was a bit too odd, I don't think that regulator was ever set to 40 psi. 20 perhaps, but never 40

Found the new regulator (I purchased it about the same time I got the new MH) Wed and replaced the old one.

Now, the new regulator (both of them are the same Marshall Brass pre-set uint) gives me the same water flow as the on board pump.

Since you have 40 psi, I'm thinking your problem is not low pressure, I'm thinking you have either an obstruction somewhere or a kink in a line or a pinched line to the toilet.  You need to do a complete inspection of the lines leading to the toilet from somewhere where water pressure is proper.

One thing you might try is this....

Disconnect (DC for short) the line from the toilet at the valve (turn off water first) re-route to a bucket, turn water back on and "See how it flows"  if you get a good flow... turn off, Reconnect and check downstream of the valve.  or the valve it self.

If you get a restricted flow (Which I suspect you will get) Reconnect and move "upstream" to any joint, or coupling or union or "T" or manafold fitting,  Same procedure.  Keep this up till you get good flow... the problem is between teh last two spots

Since the water pressure problem did not show up until after Pat moved in to the present park I doubt there is any problem with the RV internal plumbing.  I any case a more simpler way to determine this would be to put water in the fresh water tank and see if the problem exists with the pump on.  It is possible the pressure is adequate but the park plumbing is not and the park fresh water plumbing is unable to provide the necessary flow rate due to partially clogged line or too small of lines.  Might be a good idea to try attaching a fresh water hose to another water outlet on another lot and see if the condition still exists.

The low pressure in the toilet began as soon as I got here.  The filter wasn't put on the line until a week or so later.  In fact, it made no difference in the pressure.  I am wondering if some hose inside my MH was bent or kinked on the drive down here.  I have turned off the outside water and turned on the pump.  It doesn't provide as much toilet pressure as it used to.  Has to be an obstruction someplace.  The pipes going back there seem to be hard plastic.  It worked great until I drove to AZ for OR.  I have had very low toilet pressure here in AZ before, but not with the pump running and not this low.  I had to level the front wheels of the MH.  Maybe something's skewed.  I'll be moving it for October and will try it on a different hookup. 

Might as well get to know the plumbing.

--pat

Ron said:
Since the water pressure problem did not show up until after Pat moved in to the present park I doubt there is any problem with the RV internal plumbing.?

I've been following this thread for a while... If a pipe was goign to be pinched or kinked I'd expect it to happen either 1: While putting slides in/out or 2: while goign down the road.  So that was my first guess

A "torque" pinch (if the rig is torqued causeing a panel to pinch a pipe) is also possible

Alas, as Pat said, he tried it on the pump, city water off, not much improvement... Kind of limits options

Sounds like it might be a pinched line since the condition is also exhibited with the pump running and doesn't work as well as before.

JID:  Aha.  A name for it.  That's what I was suspecting this morning - a torque pinch.  I had to use the plastic leveling plates on the front wheels here.  No slides on this thing.  No levelers either.  I'm on gravel.  Before I was on blacktop, and it parked perfectly level.  The fridge shelf is a smidgeon low on the passenger side, but not so I notice when I'm moving about.  Fridge seems ok. 

I felt around as best I could and didn't feel any kinks.  The plastic pipe to the bathroom goes down in the floor.  It's solid plastic.  I'll check the hose thing behind the toilet again and see if manipulating it will change the flow.

--pat

Gary:? I thought of the screen the other day and forgot about it.? However, the problem is at the toilet only.? Even the bathroom sink pressure is ok, as is the kitchen.

The hard pipe up to the toilet is coming from under the floor.?

I'm moving the MH one day this week to get it serviced, an EPA test run for Illinois, and a couple things done over at my brother's.? I'll try the toilet there using the pump and his outside hose.? Also, maybe reparking it back here might unskew something.? I'll also try to remember to check the level condition at his place when I run things.

--pat

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say that it solved my problem!

Don't forget to use the 'search' feature before posting new questions.  Your problem might already have a solution.

In this case, I had developed low flow of fresh water into the toilet.    Sure enough, I had some sediment blockage at the fresh water inlet on the side of the toilet.

Easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom