Lower 48 maps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrobs22

Can someone settle this friendly debate?  My wife and I are going to adorn our camper with one of those cheesy lower 48 maps where you fill in the states as you travel.  The question is how a state qualifies.  I think you need to sleep at least once in a state, in your camper, to count it.  My better half thinks driving through it with the camper counts.  Let's take a poll.

We began our motorhome travels being very selective with our map, making lots of extraneous rules to be applied before we could add a state.  When we got closer to hanging-up-the-keys time , we "ruled"  that if our tires made it across the state line, we could count it.  ;D    RVers are very flexible about such things.  ;)

Margi

Once you pass the sign that says "Welcome to --" you've been in the state.  And if you drive all the way across a state you've been in it, regardless of whether you sleep in it or not.

ArdraF

It's whatever you decide it to be.  We filled in ours when we had spent a night in the state, but made an exception for NJ.  We've been there several times but never spent the night.

Thanks for the help, it appears the drive-through team won.  Although there is no hard yes or no so I'm not totally wrong...ha.

When I was much younger and we were on our way back from Denver to Milwaukee from our annual vacation trip driving through Nebraska, my dad said we had never been in Kansas, so he turned south, drove across the Kansas state line, stopped and said we had now been in Kansas.  Turned back north and continued the trip home.  That was good enough for him.

I'm also in the drive through group. When I retired in 04 and bought our Class C I bought one of those "Cheesy maps". We have now been in 45 of the lower 48.  (I have given up on Alaska due to health concerns, but still have plans to get the rest. We are still missing VA,MI and RI. I still have plans travel through and camp in VA and MI, but I can't see camping in RI. One of the states we were missing was NB. Although we had been back and forth to our old home in SD several times we had never been in NB with the MH. last year on our way home I took the exit in Council Bluffs IA and took the belt line Around Omaha  to say we had been in NB. (WE did camp there years ago in a tent).
I just say we have been in 45 of the lower48 plus 3 Canadian provinces and let it go at that.
Tony

Tom and Margi said:
We began our motorhome travels being very selective with our map, making lots of extraneous rules to be applied before we could add a state.  When we got closer to hanging-up-the-keys time , we "ruled"  that if our tires made it across the state line, we could count it.  ;D    RVers are very flexible about such things.  ;)

Margi

I think if I ever get a new set of stickers, or a new map (I think I need a new map the one I have is just flat the wrong size) I'll use your rules

Rubber on the road.  Actually, in my case, won't make too much difference.

It's just a public statement that you have actually been in that state.  Enjoy it.  You crossed the state line into that state, you can rightfully say "I have been there".

Have fun with it.  That is what RVing is really all about.

For me, I am able to look at an RV with a map filled out, or almost filled out, and picture the owners as well traveled.  If I get a chance to talk to them I can ask them about their travels.

COMer said:
For me, I am able to look at an RV with a map filled out, or almost filled out, and picture the owners as well traveled.  If I get a chance to talk to them I can ask them about their travels.

When you ask me how we enjoyed Colorado, I'll say "don't know...never been there". I put it on the map after a 13-state trip in 2007. It goes something like this:

Kim - "Why is CO on the map?"
Joe - "Because we drove through it."
Kim - "No we didn't."
Joe - "Yes, we did - after we left UT, heading back up to I-80 in WY."
Kim - "No we didn't."
Joe - "We didn't?"
Kim - "No."

She was right. Everytime I look at the map, I chuckle.

I can't tell you how many times while I was filling up with gas someone in the next stall will ask"Have you been in all of those states". I will answer yes!! then the conversation will go to " What state or what place do you consider the most interesting Etc, etc".  I have also got some good advise from locals in such conversations.
They are a great conversation starter.

Since we started out as full timers, we decided to apply a different criteria than most here...if we haven't "lived" in that state overnight, in a campground (no rest areas, etc),  in the motorhome, it does not get on the list.

Last year, coming across the edge of Idaho on the way to Yellowstone, we stopped in Rexburg, and stayed a night in a mudhole. The guy next to us had a Tiffin Phaeton they had just pulled out of the mud with a D-9 dozer. I almost didn't count that one, but....rules are rules!

Whichever way you do it, it's a conversation piece! Have fun with it!

My parents had one on their 5th wheel and they had Hawaii filled in. People would ask how they got the 5er over to Hawaii or would tell them that they couldn't count Hawaii because they hadn't RV'd there. But they had. They rented a motorhome in Hawaii and travelled on the big island for a month. So the "other" 2 states can go on that cheesy map, too.

Wendy

We started our state map by ruling that we had to sleep there for it to count.  But then, others would be confused and ask, "How did you get from say Michigan to Maine"? because there were so many blank ones in between.  So we started using the drive through method.  Though in reality, we did go from MI to ME without touching any other of the states by going through Canada..... ;D

Daisy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom