Lower 48 maps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have "lived" in so many states/countries that driving through wouldn't be right. To make my list, I must have camped at least one night, preferrable a week or more. Its not about where the camper has been, its about where I have been camping that makes my list, and tent camping counts too.  8)

Wendy said:
My parents had one on their 5th wheel and they had Hawaii filled in. People would ask how they got the 5er over to Hawaii or would tell them that they couldn't count Hawaii because they hadn't RV'd there. But they had. They rented a motorhome in Hawaii and travelled on the big island for a month. So the "other" 2 states can go on that cheesy map, too.

Wendy

Wendy:

As you know we go to Honolulu at least once a year to visit our daughter and her family. We try to get away for a few days to one of the other islands and I wish I thought I had a chance of talking Sue into renting a Class C to make HI the 50th state on our map.

Since she hasn't let me put one of "those" maps on the past two coaches I guess it is irrelevant. :D

Jeff said:
Wendy:

As you know we go to Honolulu at least once a year to visit our daughter and her family. We try to get away for a few days to one of the other islands and I wish I thought I had a chance of talking Sue into renting a Class C to make HI the 50th state on our map.

Since she hasn't let me put one of "those" maps on the past two coaches I guess it is irrelevant. :D

Too bad. You could join a very special group of RVers who have RV'd in every state. Plus, Mom & Dad had a great time. Don't know about now, but back when they did it, the state parks were free, just find a good spot to pull over.

Wendy

I have a friend who has pulled a TT since the middle 50's and has a set of maps that have every county in each state.  He has kept track of every County or Parish he has every traveled through.  He worked for the U.S Forest Service and was in the Army Reserve.  He'd take all his annual leave during the summer, plus his two weeks of active duty.  They would travel all they could.  His goal since retirement many years ago has been to always travel new routes so he could go through "New Counties".  I haven't talked to him in several years, but last I knew they had completed many of the lower 48 states. 

So if you purchase a new RV do you fill out the map with the places you have been or where the RV has been? Just drove through West Virginia and Maryland coming from Virginia going to PA and was having a state map argument with the family and found this post to settle the sticker question. I am of the of the mindset you have to camp or spend a good amount of time in the state for it to count. Driving through those states didn't take any time to get through.

Can someone settle this friendly debate?
I buddy of mine on a motorcycle started from his home in New Jersey. He was on a mission to visit every one of the lower 48 states.

When he got to Reno, he still needed to get CA. So I took him to a place where he could safely take a photo of the "Welcome to California" sign on Hwy 395 just a mile north of the house I recently sold in Cold Springs Valley, NV. He took a photo of the sign behind his motorcycle and that means he can fill in CA. His total time in CA was perhaps ten minutes.

-Don- Reno, NV

So if you purchase a new RV do you fill out the map with the places you have been or where the RV has been? Just drove through West Virginia and Maryland coming from Virginia going to PA and was having a state map argument with the family and found this post to settle the sticker question. I am of the of the mindset you have to camp or spend a good amount of time in the state for it to count. Driving through those states didn't take any time to get through.
Quite simply it's whatever YOUR preferences are, not those of someone else. It all depends on WHAT you are trying to document, so if someone wants to know what states they've traveled through but someone else doesn't care about that, only those in which they've camped, they'll use different criteria for the same apparent display.

When you see our map below, you will see it is well filled in. (Oops, that is in another forum's sig.) We include all the states that we ever traveled in. If I really wanted, we could also include 5 Canadian provinces. In nearly 50 years of travel, we have been a lot of places. Mary collects refrigerator magnets. We have a USA map on a magnetic board that is totally covered. The map also has marker lines of many of the routes that we have managed to remember.

Matt

In my personal opinion the rules should be any state you have traveled through either in the RV or in AN RV. Otherwise you end up with gaps in your map from states you have possibly passed through parts of, perhaps multiple times, just have never spent the otherwise required number of nights. Oklahoma would be my example, having driven across various parts of it, but never spending a night there. In fact I don't think I have EVER spent a night in Oklahoma in my life, though I have driven through parts of it on my way to Colorado, Kansas,etc. multiple times, though I have spend the night within a few miles of the Oklahoma state line multiple occasions.

My parents had one on their 5th wheel and they had Hawaii filled in. People would ask how they got the 5er over to Hawaii or would tell them that they couldn't count Hawaii because they hadn't RV'd there. But they had. They rented a motorhome in Hawaii and travelled on the big island for a month. So the "other" 2 states can go on that cheesy map, too.
We added Hawaii to our map, even though the RV has never been there - but we have. When people ask I simply state that when I was in the Army I had the proper clearance required to use the secret DOD Tunnel!

Here is one that could get confusing, depending on the rules, do both husband and wife have to be in the RV for it to count on the map. My wife often flies one or both ways for our RV trips leaving me to do the boring part on my own as she is limited how long she can be away from work at a time. So our maps would like something like this:

Blue = States we have both been to and spend more than one night in the RV
Green =States we have both been to and one of us has spent a night in
Yellow = States one of us has driven through, but not spent a night in
Red= States only one of us has spent the night in

This map would be much more full if we add state we have both been to without the RV, as this would add all the western states excluding the Dakotas and many more eastern states.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 1
Posts #1 thru #24 were made in 2012

This is 2021, notice the difference in which the numbers are arraigned in the year?

In any case, I do enjoy these kinds of discussions. Do you have to sleep in the state? Just pass thru? Stay at least 24 hrs?

In 2012, before I became an RV'er, I drove from Atlanta to Fargo to visit my brother and make a couple of stops along the way.

Anyhow, returning down I-29 on the east side of the mighty Missouri River, I realized that I had not been to Nebraska, and was so close. The next exit crossed over to Nebraska City so I got off, drove the couple of miles over to and across the river, it was nearing dusk and the cicadas were going crazy in the trees, so I paused, drove back over to I-29 and headed on south.

Back at work, I told one of the guys, who is from Nebraska, what I had done, and his reply, with a smile was "well, that's ten minutes of your life you cannot get back".

Charles

Here's one - we are planning a trip from the the NE US to Alaska and back - we will travel through many of the Canadian Provinces. At one point we will be with in a hundered, or so, miles of the NWT. Should we travel the distance, with not a lot to see or do, so we can put it on our map, as visited in the RV? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom