LP/CO Detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aguablanco

Wife and I were boondocking a couple of weeks ago near Mojave CA and had the LP/CO detector go off causing us great concern. We have a pretty touchy smoke detector and the first thought was that it was doing its thing. We quickly realized the SD was not the issue. Once I realized what was happening I was concerned, to say the least. While neither of us were  experiencing any symptoms of LP/CO exposure it takes a moment, or several, to determine that the thought processes are indeed clear and unimpaired. It took at least 20 minutes, actually it was less than a minute but it seemed like way more, to discover that the burner control knob was inadvertently turned on while we were cleaning. The odor had not even reached my nose when the alarm went off.  We have come to the conclusion that it was a good news/bad news event. Bad news, we turned on a burner and didn't notice it. Good news, the LP detector actually works very well. I had just replaced that unit last year as a precaution. Lesson learned for future outings.
RichH

Which one are you using? I am due for replacement.

I thought I would be able to find a single 3 in 1 unit, but I suppose CO2/CO detectors need to be up high since smoke rises and LP detectors need to be low since its more dense than air.

Happeneed to me yesterday.. Caught it before any "Damage"

Happened to a fellow camper last summer in another TT park.. He realized a knob was on on teh stove so he turned 'em all...... Including the one you should never turn under those conditions KABOOM was the result (The spark generator)  Thankfully his only injury was loss of some leg hair. and short term hearing loss.

It's so nice when things work the way they are supposed to. And you had the mind set to make things right before something went boom.

John From Detroit said:
Happeneed to me yesterday.. Caught it before any "Damage"

Happened to a fellow camper last summer in another TT park.. He realized a knob was on on teh stove so he turned 'em all...... Including the one you should never turn under those conditions KABOOM was the result (The spark generator)  Thankfully his only injury was loss of some leg hair. and short term hearing loss.

That's my biggest fear....My loving wife tends to panic when alarms go off....

Last year my CO/propane detector aged out. I replaced it with a new Dometic detector, but when I powered it up, it did not behave the way that the manual said it should. Assuming that it was defective, I returned and got another one. Of course, it behaved exactly tha same as the first one.

Now, I didn't know if I had received two defective detectors, or if the user manual was wrong. I called Dometic customer service and explained the situation. I could not believe the conversation that followed.

"The detectors are probably ok."

"I don't want to hear 'probably.' This is an critical piece of safety equipment."

"I don't know for sure."

"Then find out."

"I can't. They are made for us by another manufacturer."  (probably in China)

"Ok, check with the manufacturer'"

"I can't do that, but we'll send you another one."

"Will it work any differently than the first two I tried?"

"I don't know."

Not wanting to trust the thing, I returned it too, and installed a Safe-T-Alert detector like the one that had aged out. I still have the new one that they sent me. I have no idea if it is any different, and I still dont know if it is the manual or the detectors that are bad.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
Last year my CO/propane detector aged out. I replaced it with a new Dometic detector, but when I powered it up, it did not behave the way that the manual said it should. Assuming that it was defective, I returned and got another one. Of course, it behaved exactly tha same as the first one.
I have heard of people using a small amount of cigar smoke to test their detectors. I haven't tried it to confirm, but it may be worth trying.

cerd said:
I have heard of people using a small amount of cigar smoke to test their detectors. I haven't tried it to confirm, but it may be worth trying.

That might work for the smoke detector, but I don't expect that it woult trigger the CO/propane detector.

Joel

cerd said:
Which one are you using? I am due for replacement. I thought I would be able to find a single 3 in 1 unit, but I suppose CO2/CO detectors need to be up high since smoke rises and LP detectors need to be low since its more dense than air.

You won?t find a CO2 detector in a Recreational Vehicle. As to detector placement:

The vapor density of Carbon Monoxide is about the same as room air, and CO mixes very well with room air. The height of a CO detector is not important, but it must be placed in a location where room air freely passes the detector. A dead-air space like a corner or step-well would be a very poor choice for installing a CO detector.

Propane is heavier than room air so vapors will settle to the lowest location. A place such as a step-well is a good location for an LPG detector.

As we all know, smoke rises due to it being warmer than surrounding air. Smoke detectors should be mounted high, but not in a dead-air space like a corner. Installing a smoke detector in a dead-air space will cause a significant delay in the detector being activated.

A combination CO / smoke detector is an excellent choice, if mounted in a higher location where room air freely passes the detector. It may be difficult to find an optimal location to install a combination LPG / CO detector.

Great Horned Owl said:
That might work for the smoke detector, but I don't expect that it woult trigger the CO/propane detector.

And besides, my DW would kill me as soon as I walked in with a lit cigar.

Great Horned Owl said:

Joel
For propane, I was thinking that I could use a plummer's torch without igniting it, just to let a little bit out about a foot away.

For the CO2, mine is battery operated, so I could just bring it outside and have my wife test it while she is smoking. lol

But I just found out that Home Safeguard makes an aerosol CO tester. You can get it for about $10 at Zoro or Walmart.com. I may order a few cans to make life easier while preparing the RV for the season.
https://www.zoro.com/home-safeguard-carbon-monoxide-detector-tester-aerosol-ho-co2/i/G4192106/

cerd said:
Which one are you using? I am due for replacement.

I thought I would be able to find a single 3 in 1 unit, but I suppose CO2/CO detectors need to be up high since smoke rises and LP detectors need to be low since its more dense than air.
I am headed to the trailer tomorrow and will check. Sounds funny but what ever brand it is I highly recommend it.
RichH

Back
Top Bottom