LP gas Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave and Teresa

We have a 2005 Winnegabo Voyage and the LPAlarm keeps going off. We have had it replaced once. any idea what might be causing this problem. There is no leak, and alarm is new.

Well, two or 3 things.

1:Low voltage
2:It's all wet
3: Explosive gas in the vicinity of the alarm (that's what they sense, not speciffically LP but any flammable gas such as Methane, Butane, Propane, "_____ane" (Basically) and some other gasses like ammonia may well set it off too.

Dave and Teresa said:
We have a 2005 Winnegabo Voyage and the LPAlarm keeps going off. We have had it replaced once. any idea what might be causing this problem. There is no leak, and alarm is new.

Dave & Teresa,

LP detectors are very sensitive. They will detect propane leaks, hair spray, and other aerosols that similate propane. My wife was making rum balls for Christmas one time and dropped some rum on the floor(chewed her out for that!!!) and it set of the alarm. Friends here on the forum had a wonderful yellow lab that used to lie down in front of their detector and pass gas and set it off.

If you don't smell propane it's probably something you did to cause the alarm. Just be sure there is no propane leak!!!!

This may not be much help, but I had a problem once where the detector/ safety shut off wiring at the LP tank end was loose causing the alarm to go on and off sporadically.  This was one of those wire clips that slides onto a spade like connection and the wire was bent and formed just right to make contact most of the time but then lose contact when the rig moved or jarred.  Again, likely not your problem but you may take a quick peek at the tank wire connections at the other end of the leak detector system and make sure it is all solid.  Just a thought. :)

On our last trip, the LP alarm in our Winnebago went off ALL the time. The chocolate lab's farts set it off. Opening the door if the MH motor was running set it off. Cooking set it off. Doing NOTHING set it off. Covering it up with a blanket worked sometimes. Mike disconnecting it finally stopped the noise. I know it's a safety device and should be hooked up but dang it was annoying. Any suggestions?

Low voltage to the LP alarm will make it ultra sensitive and generate many falses.  Or it may simply have become contaminated with some airborne chemical (hair sprays are notorious for this) at one time or another.

So check the voltage at the detector to be sure it is 12.6 or more. If that's not it, you may have to replace it.

Gary - Thanks. I'll pass the info on to my resident mechanic. He says he'll check the voltage. It sure ain't hair spray...haven't had that anywhere in house or RV since 1980.

Shayne - Sam would like to come visit you in your RV in Quartzsite and test your LP alarm.

Our LPG detector started going off at random times and we finally just replaced it.  Our last one cost about $64.  They do fail, but I would check the voltage first, as Gary suggested.

Wendy,
The chocolate lab's farts set it off. Opening the door if the MH motor was running set it off. Cooking set it off.
Cork the dog, keep the doors shut, don't run the engine and, whatever else you do, don't cook! ;D Seriously, almost anything will set them off including, hate to admit it, a bag of garbage under the sink that should have been taken out a day or two prior. They do bite the dust occasionally too. BTW, I have an extra one I would part with at QZ - cheap!

wendycoke said:
It sure ain't hair spray...haven't had that anywhere in house or RV since 1980.

That was a common example but not the only such thing. Aerosols in general are problematic - the fine mist carries further than we realize and the "carriers" in the spray (which carry the molecules of whatever it is, e.g. household cleaner, air freshener, non-stick coating (PAM), etc.) can readily contaminate the small surface of the gas sensor. Strangely enough, this contamination often seems to make it more sensitive rather than preventing it from working. And one shot may be all it takes to ruin the detector.

Now I'm going to have to look around the RV for aerosols we may have used. Off hand, I can't think of any but that doesn't mean there's not something there I used without thinking. Will also have Mike check the voltage. Last choice, it'll stay disconnected.

My LP stuff won't work if the detector isn't functioning!!
Is anyone elses like that??  ???

Randy

Randy,
Most of them are like that - at least the good ones. There's an electric valve on the tank that shuts off if the LP detector isn't sending it a signal. Unless it's an emergency, I wouldn't recommend trying to bypass it. Get a new one. Oh, make sure the switch is in the "on" position. ;)

If you have a good LP alarm that shuts the LP off at the tank if the LP detector isn't sending a signal make sure you get a comapable unit.  Personally I much prefere the type that shuts the propane off if it detects propane or is not working.

rclark said:
My LP stuff won't work if the detector isn't functioning!!
Is anyone elses like that??  ???

Randy

Yes, the detector in our Wanderlodge is just like that.

Liz

Randy,

Many propane detectors shut off the propane if it goes into alarm. I have found that manufacturers are not using those as much anymore. Guess they can save a couple of dollars on each coach which adds up over the long run. My Bounders had that valve, my Dream doesn't! :(

Our 1997 Endeavor has a stand alone propane detector, not connected to the propane system at all.

I fixed ours.  Removed it.  We do not leave the pilot lite in the oven lit however.  Far as I know that is the only propane device that is above the flooring.  It there is a leak in the lower part of the coach - the water heater, refrigerator or furnace - they are sealed to the outside and propane being heavy flows downward.

Back
Top Bottom