Lp lights green, gauge reads empty, but no tank or regulator? um?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I messed up- I didn't bleed the line before permanently removing my propane tank with regulator. It's long gone for good and I'm happy about that. Now it's been a week and I wanted to check my battery level, thus I clicked the test button on my panel. I notice the LP is showing full green. I look over at the side gauge, still Zero, ok that's good. So, why is my light gauge showing full green? Any science behind that? Is the line still pressurized? Can I safely remove the stove now or is it gonna be gassy? I hate LP and don't want to blow up if I cause a spark removing the stove and furnace when its over 100 degrees next week. Btw it's a 1995 Georgie Boy class A. Also, the 2 wires that were connected to the tank regulator area: the ends are now taped up individually with electrical tape and duct taped temporarily to the frame (making no connection with anything) Thanks in advance!

At a guess, an open circuit is interpreted as "full". Simple gauges are typically resistance devices, so a shorted wire (no resistance) will be one extreme and high/infinite resistance is the other. 1/4, 1/2, etc are some defined resistance in-between. If high resistance equates to full, an open circuit (infinite resistance) might show as "full".

If you have removed tank and regulator, is the tank end of the gas line open? If so, there can be no gas trapped in the line anywhere. If in doubt, open the farthest end of the gas line and blow some air through it. It doesn't take much - regulated gas pressure is only about 0.5 psi. Even lung power ought to be enough to push any gas out. And no worries - there wouldn't be enough gas left in the line after tank removal to do more than a tiny pop or brief/small flame. You aren't going to blow up.

At a guess, an open circuit is interpreted as "full". Simple gauges are typically resistance devices, so a shorted wire (no resistance) will be one extreme and high/infinite resistance is the other. 1/4, 1/2, etc are some defined resistance in-between. If high resistance equates to full, an open circuit (infinite resistance) might show as "full".

If you have removed tank and regulator, is the tank end of the gas line open? If so, there can be no gas trapped in the line anywhere. If in doubt, open the farthest end of the gas line and blow some air through it. It doesn't take much - regulated gas pressure is only about 0.5 psi. Even lung power ought to be enough to push any gas out. And no worries - there wouldn't be enough gas left in the line after tank removal to do more than a tiny pop or brief/small flame. You aren't going to blow up.
Thanks so much, Gary RV_Wizard that makes sense! Problem solved!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom