lpg conversion advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dadredge

It would seem sensible to convert my RV to run on LPG/propane before I ship from USA to England.

Any advice/tips?  Can anyone recommend someone who can supply and fit in USA? Any idea of costs?

David

UK-RV said:
Hi david

There was an advert in motorhome magazine a couple of months back.

The company was American Alternative Fuels

Their website is useless !!

Tom's list looks pretty good.  Propane conversion is a fairly common farmer conversion in rural USA so the technology is out there.  The only problem might be mating with UK dispensing hardware.

I would think it would be very impractical to change to LP.  It takes a huge tank.  The engine would need the propane as a liquid - not as a gas as the other appliances in the coach need.  The tank must be placed in an open bottom compartment.  Then the fuel gauges would need changing. There are some places where propane cannot by taken.  Not sure about ferries and tunnels.  That would need research.  The cost of conversion would seem to be more that buying one built for LPG.

Back in the 70s gas crunch, I converted my pickup to run on propane (or gas).  I had an 80 gallon tank crossways in the bed. It took up a lot of room, but with the propane and gas together I was able to get to the Lake Tahoe ski areas and back from San Jose. For a motorhome you would need a much larger tank, and even the 80 gallon unit I had would be hard to locate in a motorhome.

After getting by all the technical and practical issues like tank size I wonder what the payback time is?

Back in the seventies, I worked for a while servicing fork lift trucks.  I installed some propane converter kits for companies that wanted to use their existing trucks indoors.  In all cases the customer was unhappy about the power reduction using propane.  There was about a 1/3 loss in power.  The engine use of propane doesn't require liquid, works the same as propane appliances.
Art

Here is one source for LPG conversion. I would think that Canada might offer some opportunities too - they use LPG in vehicles much more extensively there than the USA.  I assume you could drive the coach there and then export to the UK from there as well.

Another

Conversion Info

Just Google "propane conversion" and you will get a welath of information.

Back
Top Bottom