Lubing your Pac brake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I must admit that I'd forgotten about lubing the Pac brake on our coach until I saw the synthetic lube for sale at the FMCA rally. ($8 for enough lube to last the life of the coach). The recommended lube points are the cylinder pivot ends, the brake shaft, the cylinder rod (when extended) and a few drops in the cylinder air port. Cycle the Pac brake electrically or manually after lubing.

Getting to mine merely involves lifting a hatch in the bedroom floor (see photo).

The recommended frequency is once a year for vehicles used all the time, or every 4 months for vehicles exposed to excess moisture or seasonal use.

Attachments

• Pac_brake.jpg
    Pac_brake.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 21
We usually lube the pac brake in the spring before heading North and in the fall before departing for the South.  We use the lube Pac brake sells.

Some friends of ours who bought a used coach complained about their Pac brake not working when they arrived at Pomona a few weeks ago. I suggested they ask the PacBrake folks to look at it while at the rally. They found it siezed, so presumably the prior owner had not been lubing it.

I've added it to the maintenance checklist/record for our coach so I don't forget.

Anyone else have a maintenance tip to share?

Tom said:
Some friends of ours who bought a used coach complained about their Pac brake not working when they arrived at Pomona a few weeks ago. I suggested they ask the PacBrake folks to look at it while at the rally. They found it siezed, so presumably the prior owner had not been lubing it.

I've added it to the maintenance checklist/record for our coach so I don't forget.

Anyone else have a maintenance tip to share?

Tom

A recommendation that the head of Pac-Brake gave me many years ago was to turn on the Pac-Brake when you start the engine and leave it on for at least 20 minutes before turning it off if you normally drive with it off. This helps dry out any condensation on the brake components that may have accumulated since last used.

Thanks for passing that along Bernie. I know that PacBrake is very concerned about moisture which could accumulate if, for example, one starts the engine and shuts it off before it's had a chance to warm up.

>>A recommendation that the head of Pac-Brake gave me many years ago was to turn on the Pac-Brake when you start the engine and leave it on for at least 20 minutes before turning it off if you normally drive with it off. This helps dry out any condensation on the brake components that may have accumulated since last used.<<

The BrakeSwitch makes this a no-brainer.  The exhaust brake is on all the time and is used whenever you hit the air brakes.  VBG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom