Lynches Maritime trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim & Jan

Jan and I will be traveling the Maritimes this year and our itinerary is below. We would welcome any comments on what we propose to do. If any other framily would be in the Maritimes during our time frame, let us know so we might get together.

6/2/05    4    St Andrews NB              Kiwanis Oceanfront                    Reserved
6/6/05    7    Sussex NB                      Pine Cone                                    Reserved
6/13/05  4    Summerside PEI          Crystal Beach
6/17/05  4    Charlottetown PEI        Holiday Haven
6/21/05  3    Pictou NS                      Harbour Light
6/24/05  3    Havre Boucher NS        Hyclass
6/27/05  4    Baddeck NS                  Baddeck Cabot                            Reserved
7/1/05    4    Little Bras D'Or NS        Arm of Gold                                  Reserved
7/5/05    1    Doyles NF                      Grand Codroy
7/6/05    1    Pasadena NF                South Brook
7/7/05    2    Portland Creek NF        Mountain Water
7/9/05    4    St Anthony NF                Triple Falls
7/13/05  3    Rocky Harbour NF        Gros Morne
7/16/05  3    South Brook NF            Kona Beach
7/19/05  2    Gander NF                    Country Inn
7/21/05  4    St John's NF                  Pippy Park public
7/25/05  2    Eastport NF                    Eastport Peninsula
7/27/05  2    Grand Falls NF              Beothuck
7/29/05  1    Pasadena NF                South Brook
7/30/05  1    Doyles NF                      Grand Codroy
7/31/05  2                                              Bras D'Or or Baddeck
8/2/05    1    Sherbrooke NS              Riverside
8/3/05    5    Hammond Plains NS    Woodhaven Park
8/8/05    3    Glen Margaret NS        Wayside Camping
8/11/05  2    Lunenburg NS        Lunenburg Board of Trade
8/13/05  2    Yarmouth NS                  Loomer's
8/15/05  3    Bridgetown                    Annapolis River or Dunromin
8/18/05  3    Kentville NS                  South Mountain
8/21/05  3    Hilden NS                      Scotia Pine
8/24/05  2    Amherst NS                    Gateway Parklands
8/26/05  1    Shediac NB                    Camping Parasol or Wishing Star
8/27/05  2    Bartibog Bridge NB      Bartibog Campground
8/29/05  2    Caraquet NB                  Camping Colibri Limitee
8/31/05  2    Campbellton NB            Sugarloaf PP
9/2/05    3    Perce QC                        Tet D'Indien or Camping Du Phare
9/5/05    2    Rimouski QC                  Camping De L'Anse or Metis Sur Mer
9/7/05    4    Quebec QC                    Camping Transit
9/11/05  4    Montreal QC                  Camping Alouette

Have Ferry reservations leaving N. Sydney 7/5/05 and returning 7/31/05

Hey, I like the itinerary. In fact, so much that I'm copying it for our maritime trip next year. Thanks.  8)

Your itinerary looks fine, and I especially concur with your choice of CG in Lunenburg.  Be sure to visit the Maritime Museum there and drive around the bay to the golf course for a head on view of Lunenburg, missed by most visitors.

I would try to pursuade you to alter your choices of CG in Montreal and Quebec City though. 

Transit is quite far from Quebec City and though it's situated adjacent to Hwy 20, it's a circuitous route to get into, as it's between two exits.  Also I don't like the layout because it's concentric circles with the bathrooms in the center, and people are constantly walking across the outer sites to get to the center.  But my main objection is the distance.

Consider booking at the Quebec City KOA.  It's much more convenient to the city, just across the bridge from the city off Hwy 20.

As for Alouette near Montreal..same rationale..it's just too far.  In addition you'll be stuck in traffic getting into the city and leaving along some of the busiest routes in and out of Montreal.  I know it looks convenient on a map, especially if you're coming from Quebec City, but if you come to Montreal along  Hwy 40, along the North Shore, you would be better off to stay in the beauticul CG in Laval called  Park or Parc Mont Laval.  I satyed there many times and it's much more convenient to Montreal.  You still have to avoid rush hour traffic, but you are on tenth the distance than you would be at Alouette.  Belive me on this one, as I know Montreal very well having worked and lived there for many years.

Park Mont Laval
675 St. Martin Blvd West
Ste. Doroth?e
H7X 1A6
Canada

(450) 689-1150
(800) 758-1150

The manager is Jacques, and his wife is Diane.

Take Hwy 40 from Quebec, then 640 bypass through Laval. 
Driving  on Highway 13, stay on the service road southbound( Exit 12) until the intersection for St. Martin Blvd. (rte 148).
Drive west on St.Martin Blvd about 2 miles, to the end of the road....Park Mont Laval is on your right.

Let me know if you need more info.

I concur with Steve's suggestion of the Quebec City KOA. We stayed there last year at Steve's suggestion, and it proved to be very convenient. One thing I found was that if you ask the folks at the desk for free local tourism maps, and they'll produce a couple of very useful ones. If you don't ask, they don't volunteer them.

Steve said:
I would try to pursuade you to alter your choices of CG in Montreal and Quebec City though. 

I will make the changes for Quebec City and Montreal, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Tom said:
One thing I found was that if you ask the folks at the desk for free local tourism maps, and they'll produce a couple of very useful ones. If you don't ask, they don't volunteer them.
Thanks for the hint regarding the maps.

My you are organized!  The Quebec KOA is one of the best (if not the best) we have stayed at.  We didn't drive into Quebec, but took the free shuttle provided by the KOA.  Goes to bus terminal.

Wish we'd taken the shuttle - might not have got lost on the way back  :)

Len and Jo said:
My you are organized!  The Quebec KOA is one of the best (if not the best) we have stayed at.  We didn't drive into Quebec, but took the free shuttle provided by the KOA.  Goes to bus terminal.

Thanks for the vote for the KOA. We would prefer to not drive into Quebec City or Montreal and expect to make good use of shuttles.

I don't think the KOA in Quebec City has a shuttle service, unless it has recently been introduced.? However the drive into Quebec City is quite easy from the KOA, a couple of miles East on Hwy 20 to the Quebec Bridge, (Pont De Quebec)? ?and into town.? If you are using a Garmin GPS, the maps of Quebec City are very accurate.? Parking in the center of the old city is tricky and your best bet would be to bit the bullet and pay the exhorbitant parking prices in, say the Hilton parking garage? or even closer the Chateau Laurier Hotel parking garager? and walk to the points of interest.

Same applies to Park Mont Laval.? If you wait until rush hour is over, after 9:00 am, then the drive into Montreal, south along Hwy 13 is relatively easy.? Ask them for some maps of the city, which they have in the office and park in one of the hotels such as the Queen Elizabeth/ Place Ville Marie? (cruciform building)? or Place Bonaventure parking garages. From there you can travel by subway (Metro) or tour buses at Dominion Square where they hang out,

One option at Laval is to drive to one of the subway stations in Montreal, park and use the subway....but my preference would be to use your car...easier to get around.

How long will you be staying in each City?

One must see point of interest is the town of St. Jean Port Joli east of Quebec City.? The town is over 300 years old and has a beautiful old church, plus the town is world renowned for the unique wood scuptures they produce.? The wood sculptures are unique to Quebec and to the town, and are displayed in several locations where you can view them and buy one if you are interested.?

They display knock offs in the tourist traps of Quebec City (probably made in China at tourist trap prices) so if a genuine wooden scupture interests you, get it in St. Jean Port Joli.

If you decide to visit the towns between Riviere Du Loup and Quebec City, there is a good campground in Riviere Ouelle on the river side.? They can accomodate big rigs, the location is beautiful and is an easy drive to towns such as Kamouraska, St. Jean Port Joli and L'Islet.? Riviere Ouelle is next to the town of La Pocatiere where you can stock up on groceries in the two large supermarkets.

Drive to the towns I mentioned on the old highway 132 rather than on Expressway 20, but do use Hwy 20 to get there from the Maritimes and to travel on to Quebec City.

BTW while in Quebec City, you might want to visit Ste. Anne de Beaupre, on the north shore, east of Quebec City.? There you'll see another world renowned point of interest, the basilica of Ste. Anne.? ?They also have free, yes free campground across the street where you can stay for 3 nights (dry camping)? and ya'don't even have to be Catholic!!!? ;).? It's a great spot where we frequently visit because of the access to some very old towns in the area, including Ile D'Orleans.

Check out Bob and Judy Howen's RV travel video on DVD for Eastern Canada at PVP TRAVEL.? Bob's videos are extremely informative and insightful as they actually make the trip and include tips on local points of interest.? My only (respectful) disagreement with Bob was his choice of campground at Alouette, but other than that his instructions are right on.

We have a Garmin 2610, so that should help. Not looking forward to the signage being in French only, if that's the case. If there are tours from the campgrounds, we will probably start with one of them.

We have allowed four days for each city.

Stopping in Riviere Ouelle sounds like a good idea.

The maps on your Garmin 2610 should serve you well, as I used my 2620 for navigating Quebec City recently.? Will work in Montreal and Ottawa as well.? Hwy 132 is shown on the Garmin map, so you can get around the towns I referred to earlier.

Attached is a French tranlation text file I prepared for RVers usage when visiting Quebec.? It also includes some info on English radio stations as well.? But don't be intimidated by the French language speakers, as most of them you will come in contact with in your travels are able to speak English.

The attached file, FRENCH.txt? (available below) ? should help you if you get stuck.

Attachments

• FRENCH.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 19
Steve

The only one on road signs that Chris understood and paid attention to wa arret (stop).

>>>The only one on road signs that Chris understood and paid attention to ....arret (stop). <<<

Thank goodness she paid attention to those, so you could be here to tell about it  ;) :D

Steve said:
Attached is a French tranlation text file I prepared for RVers usage when visiting Quebec.  It also includes some info on English radio stations as well.  But don't be intimidated by the French language speakers, as most of them you will come in contact with in your travels are able to speak English.

The attached file, FRENCH.txt  (available below)   should help you if you get stuck.

Steve,

Downloaded and printed your file. Now just have to get Jan to start studying!

No need to memorize the terms.  It can be used as an aid when communicating with someone where it can be used to refer to a word to get the message across. 

If you feel you want a more comprehensive French phrase reference, one of the travel phrase books could help.  The fact is most people will understand what you want, but I've included some RV specific terms, that might not be fond in a typical tourist phrase book, which might be useful to accurately describe what you need.

Let me know if you need more info.

Some things to consider in Newfoundland are: At Gros Morne is Western Brook Pond, you will need
reservations for the boat ride and choose a trip close to midday. Sometimes the early morning trips get
cancelled due to fog. We thought this was the best part of Gros Morne

The Grand Corduroy RV park is super and the folks there are very nice.

In Pasadena/Corner Brook we have stayed at Bills Cabins and RV park. Open sites with water and 20 amp elect. Many of the parks in Newfoundland are only 15 amp.

At St. Anthony be sure to go the the Viking ruins at Lanse Au Meadows. You will need reservations at
the RV parks in St Anthony due to the large number of Caravans that go up there. While there you
can day trip across to Labrador from St. Barbe and take the paved road to Red Bay. They have a nice
little museum there and the Penware River gorge on the way is super. Lots of black flies!!

Sanger Memorial Park at Windsor/Grand Falls is a super RV park with full hook ups and 30 amp. You will
need reservations. Again the caravans keep it full in season.
There is a great festival in Twillinggate in mid to late July. This is on the coast north of Gander.

There is lots to do and see around St. Johns. You can go to the Witless Bay Ecological Preserve and go
whale watching from Bay Bulls. A longer trip would be down to Placentia. This is the old French Capital
and they have a nice visitor center and museum at Castle Hill. Further south from Placentia are several
small outports and at Cape St. Marys is the Cape St. Marys bird Sanctuary. This has the largest population
of nesting Gannetts in the world. The road to the cape is not very suitable for a big RV, but no problem
for a toad. The road out to the bird sanctuary is very narrow almost one lane. There is a new RV park
at the turn off to the Bird Sanctuary, but I have not had time to check it out when we have been
there. My guess is water and 15 amp, but I am only guessing.

While on the Island be especially watchful for MOOSE at all times and especially in the late evening and
early morning. They have many many moose/car accidents. Notice the super strong moose guards on
the front of most of the semi's up there.

There are two French Islands off the South coast of Newfoundland that you can reach by ferry from
Fortune Newfoundland. They are like going back to France in the early 1900's except for the cars. There
are only 16 miles of road and I think everyone has two or three cars. Go figure!

My wife is from Newfoundland and we have been there many many times. If you have further
questions let me know. I will do my best to answer them.

Dave,

Thanks for the info on NF. We have it printed and will refer to it before we make any reservations.

Back
Top Bottom