Macbook setup for wireless printer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Zambenini

I have  friends who recently got a MAC Book with wireless capability. Now they want to have wireless printing.

The setup is DSL and printer will be located in room together. They want to use the MAC Book in other rooms and print wireless.

I assume the next  step is to get a router to connect the DSL to network and hopefully the printer on the network. 

Do they need a router with print server built in?

The printer is probably going to be an Epson CX4800 with USB 2.0 so need to know how to get the printer on network.

I thought maybe Russ on one of the other MAC gurus could help before I advise them to buy the wrong gear, as I know little about MAC.

Thanks, Bob

Bob:

If your friends already have wireless capability for their DSL chances are very good they already have a wireless router. Most routers have a few ethernet ports for network connections so one of the easiest (not necessary only) options would be to purchase a printer with an ethernet port and hardwire it to the router. The Mac would then communicate with the printer through the wireless router.

I use that method in the motorhome with an HP Photosmart 2570 printer.

Another option would be to get an airport that the DSL can connect to with an ethernet cable and then connect the printer to a USB port on the airport.

I have an airport and conncet the usb inkjet printer to the airport. the connection is very easy.

Now I have a really cheap brother laserwriter that is too dumb and will not be seen by rendesvous.

Back
Top Bottom