Macerator Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henry J Fate

Looks like I will need a macerator pump at my current location. I have never used one or needed one. I need something decent that can pump 20 feet with about a 3 foot vertical rise then back to about level. The rise will be through a window then down to the drain. Both gray and black will need the pump and for several months.

No idea what to buy and where. I prefer a walk in purchase not overly priced.

Thanks

Henry

Looks like I will need a macerator pump at my current location. I have never used one or needed one. I need something decent that can pump 20 feet with about a 3 foot vertical rise then back to about level. The rise will be through a window then down to the drain. Both gray and black will need the pump and for several months.

No idea what to buy and where. I prefer a walk in purchase not overly priced.

Thanks

Henry
This FloJet macerator from Camping World works well. It's a portable version, but I installed it as a semi-permanent option in our coach (see here: Flojet waste pump ). Home Depot says they have the same pump for approx the same price, but I haven't looked for them in their stores.

I just built one out of a new garbage disposal to dump at home.
Everything new from scratch with 60’ 1 1/2” sump pump hose. Total cost $85. I have about a 5’ rise.
Daughter was here for Father’s Day with her RV as was grandson with his. Both dumped before they left. Works great.

Everything new from scratch with 60’ 1 1/2” sump pump hose. Total cost $85. I have about a 5’ rise.
Daughter was here for Father’s Day with her RV as was grandson with his. Both dumped before they left. Works great.
Did you mount the disposal in a sink and open dump into the sink from the tanks using a section of standard dump hose?

I used a SUR-FLO portable.. Worked great... I got a BLACK 3/4" rubber garden hose to use with it.
Now the one issue.. Mine did NOT come with a proper sewer adapter.. so I home made one (Still have it though I don't rv any more) If near flint MI it's yours. If not. and you need one. it's easy to make and I can describe it.

This FloJet macerator from Camping World works well. It's a portable version, but I installed it as a semi-permanent option in our coach (see here: Flojet waste pump ). Home Depot says they have the same pump for approx the same price, but I haven't looked for them in their stores.
For clarification, if I don't need to use the macerator,, I merely disconnect the short (red) section of sewer hose and hook up a regular sewer hose.

Tom,
I like that arrangement. If(when) the macerator clogs up, it will be more or less manageable. That is why I don't have an installed macerator. (Do I have to add - BTDT)
Matt

Reactions: Tom
The disposal is used with a direct flow from the waste tanks similar to the commercial units, Henry. Here's one of several construction write-ups available online:

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. That's a great set up. I am heading to the depot to buy a disposal, screws and try to figure out the best way to get a waste line to it. I do not have a soldering kit so will try to come up with a transition from the supplied waste spout to a garden hose. Thanks for the info everyone. Lets see if I can build this.

Henry

Oh one thing I will add about the Flo-Jet.
The dang thing suffers from "Stickstion" that is if it's not used for a bit (And it need not be all that long) the impeller sticks to the impeller housing..

The simple solution
The motor shaft extends OUT through the bottom of the motor (end opposite sewer connections) and has a large SLOT. a quarter, or a flat metal tool (like a mending bar) inserted in the slot and turn it in the direction suggested by the discharge hose connection.. Then clear the slot and power on to empty tank.

I used a SUR-FLO portable.. Worked great... I got a BLACK 3/4" rubber garden hose to use with it.
I've read here before that one should have at least a 1" hose to work best with a macerator. Apparently you're doing fine with the 3/4"? How length of hose do you have?

I live in an RV resort about 7 months of the year. I need to use a portable waste tote during that time. In the winter, I stay at a place that has a dump station about 40 feet away from my travel trailer. I researched and purchased a good quality macerator so I could pump the waste uphill to the portable waste tote hooked up to my truck's hitch. Then tow it to the waste tote about 300 yards to the dump station. I also use it in my winter place to pump straight to the dump station (40 feet from my TT). Unlike most macerators, mine requires a an inch diameter hose. Here is the one I purchased: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HC6HMNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Takes about 10 minutes to pump the waste tanks dry. So much easier than dragging the heavy 42 gallon waste tank up to my truck. I love it.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. That's a great set up. I am heading to the depot to buy a disposal, screws and try to figure out the best way to get a waste line to it. I do not have a soldering kit so will try to come up with a transition from the supplied waste spout to a garden hose. Thanks for the info everyone. Lets see if I can build this.

Henry
Henry if you could walk us through the steps as to what you did to build it. Pictures would be great.

I've read here before that one should have at least a 1" hose to work best with a macerator. Apparently you're doing fine with the 3/4"? How length of hose do you have?
It was 50 feet. I also had a 25' Gray hose but that was used with the Wash tank (*Gray 2) My sewer adapter has two connections (Black and gray)
Never had an issue with the 3/4 hose.

Just curious. There is no pump so how does this garbage disposal pump uphill 5’? Is it just by the centrifugal force of the grinder finger? Or do you need a separate water supply to push the waste uphill. If that’s the case how do you stop the water from going into the tank?

Just curious. There is no pump so how does this garbage disposal pump uphill 5’? Is it just by the centrifugal force of the grinder finger? Or do you need a separate water supply to push the waste uphill. If that’s the case how do you stop the water from going into the tank?
A macerator doesn't have a pump either, in both cases the centrifugal force from the spinning impeller propels the waste out. A home garbage disposal has a more powerful 120 volt motor than a 12 volt macerator so although it isn't specifically designed to pump the waste through a hose it usually does a pretty good job.

While I was remodeling the stick house and living in the driveway I used my macerator to pump out my 50 gallon black and 70 gallon gray almost daily (at least for the gray). It pumped well up a 8' rise about 70' away. I used 3/4" hose bought from Harbor Freight which worked well, but just a word of caution. The HF stuff is cheaply made, so don't let it kink even once! I had a process of rolling it up like rolling a wheel to keep it from kinking. My macerator was a 12 volt model that I hooked right to the battery bank of the rig.

Here’s couple pictures of my homemade disposal macerator pump.
1 1/2” discharge hose hooks up just below green valve which is the flush valve
I built it so it sits low to ground for the class B

Attachments

• DAE67C75-8960-4D71-8D02-62CCBA2245E7.jpeg
    DAE67C75-8960-4D71-8D02-62CCBA2245E7.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 045A1C84-88B8-427D-A9EF-63E6E99CBC7F.jpeg
    045A1C84-88B8-427D-A9EF-63E6E99CBC7F.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads