Magnum 2000w Energy Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scroxfo

We have a 07 Fleetwood Excursion. My Magnum Energy invertor is only powering half of my outlets.
1) can that be corrected or is the unit shot?
2) is it a problem in charging the batteries.
I am not one to use the invertor but only very seldom/like never in the last two years.

Is this a new to you coach? Maybe every outlet isn't wired to the inverter.

Rene T said:
Welcome to the forum.
Have you looked around for a tripped GFCI?

Yeah, I had a similar issue with my xantrex. Three outlets were not working. I hit the reset button for the bedroom outlet. All is fine now.

scroxfo said:
We have a 07 Fleetwood Excursion. My Magnum Energy invertor is only powering half of my outlets.
1) can that be corrected or is the unit shot?
2) is it a problem in charging the batteries.
I am not one to use the invertor but only very seldom/like never in the last two years.
There is a circuit breaker for each 15amp 120V wire going to your outlets.  One of the C/B's may be tripped. If you don't have the owners manual, you can download one from Magnum.  Do a search for you inverter model number. The manual will show you the c/b.

Do the outlets work when on shore power and only fail when you are disconnected from shore power and the generator is off? 

Welcome to the Forum!

If the inverter is working well on SOME outlets, then the inverter is working and the battery is okay.  The problem is as described above - a tripped GFCI or a tripped breaker.  Either is a simple fix AFTER you locate the offending component.

Thank you all.
- not a new coach/2007.....verything does work on shore power....will get the manual...and will try to find a c/b tripped. I have tried to find a tripped breaker but i guess i will have to try harder.

I had someone suggest because 50 amps really 2 25 amp circuits that half of my inverter is blown. is that possible??

Welcome to The RV Forum!

First, 50 amp service is (2) 120 volt, 50 amp circuits, or 100 amps total.

It's unlikely there's anything wrong with your inverter.  Most of the time they're only wired to part of the RV because there are several things you DON'T want to run through the inverter and have them drain the batteries.  Things like the electric sides of the refrigerator and the water heater (they work fine on gas without draining the batteries) and other large draws like an air conditioner that will drain your batteries flat in a matter of minutes.

You also don't want a separate 12 volt coverter to be powered by the inverter because that will set up an energy draining perpetual motion loop ...  12 volts from the batteries to the inverter, then 120 volts to the converter which puts 12 volts back into the batteries.

There will be some circuits that do not receive inverter power, but in a 2007 Excursion it seems unlikely that the general purpose wall outlets are not connected. Appliances like the a/c units and water heater, however, will not be inverter-powered.

If you have wall "convenience" outlets that work on shore power but not inverter, you can rule out circuit breakers and GFCI as the problem. If one of those was tripped, the outlets would not work on shore power either.  The shore power to those outlets actually passes through the inverter, so you can be sure the wiring path is OK.  Just to be sure, though, there is a Reset button on the Magnum somewhere that should be pressed. Can't hurt!

It would be helpful if you could identify the Magnum model name.number and the specific outlets that don't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom