Making a jacknife comfortable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I have two trips planned with buddies to weeklong sporting events and so for the first time the jackknife sofa is going to get some use as a bed. It's not super comfortable as-is, and the two 'halves' aren't even in height (about a 2" difference). Wanting to be a good host I don't want to stick them on an uncomfortable couch, so I was considering this approach: a 2" pad on the 'low' half of the couch to bring the two sides level, then a 2" pad that would cover both sides, making a nice, even bed. ??

Worth a try, if you can keep that extra pad in place somehow.  Maybe a couple flat straps, or even duct tape?

So many of those jackknife sofas are pure crap; both the RV maker and the furniture makers should be ashamed.  There are quite decent jackknife sofas available, but they cost more (surprise, surprise!), so the RV builders use them only in high end models. And not always even then.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Worth a try, if you can keep that extra pad in place somehow.  Maybe a couple flat straps, or even duct tape?

I was concerned with that too. Using memory foam so kinda "sticky", plus after the second layer goes on will use a fitted sheet which hopefully will help.

My buddy on one of the trips is several inches taller than I and may not fit on the sofa, so I may get a taste of my own construction

When I bought my camper, the seller described the sleeper sofa as the perfect bed for guests who have overstayed their welcome.  He is right!  If or when I need extra sleeping space, I will buy a air bed with a built in pump.  They even make bed height units.

http://www.intexcorp.com/store/airbeds/dura-beam

I do not own one, but this is what I have looked at.

I've slept, or tried to sleep on our jack-knife sofa one time.  I think they're designed for children less than 50 lbs.  I doubt an additional 2 inches of foam will make a difference. 

interesting...and here I've been looking for a jacknife to replace my air mattress sleeper.

We've only ever inflated the thing one time, and that was just for kicks.  Nobody has ever slept on it in bed mode.  Used to be all my kids slept in the overhead, but they're bigger now so one always sleeps on the sofa.  I would love to have something better than a sofa for them to sleep on but that's easier and quicker to set-up.  I looked for a futon but never found one that would fit.  On the trip this past weekend it dawned on me that maybe I could find one that's longer and cut it down....

I think I would try just using an air mattress on top of the sofa bed. I think the height difference would be evened out by the flexiibility of the mattress. But thats just a guess.

I think I was lucky that the previous owner had reupholstered the couch and I think put newer cushions on it. It was actually pretty comfortable as a bed. Unfortunately, we had to get rid of it so my DH could put a recliner in here to sleep in sometimes as it helps him to breathe easier propped up.

When I saw the title of your post Scott "Making a jacknife comfortable" , I was going to suggest moving it over by the door, and giving it a big push ;D ;D

But really, I used to have one. I tried napping on it a few times and it was good for about an hour tops. All night would be a real adventure.  I'm going with Gary on this one...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom