Making my own 4x4 post caps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I saw a video on youtube where someone made their own post caps and as expensive as the suckers are (even the plastic ones) i thought i would do the same.  So i start with a 2x6 scrap 5" long then set my saw to 30 degrees and cut all 4 edges.  Not bad for a DIY project, ill paint the rest of it later, i just wanted to get the bottoms painted for now.

Now only 11 more to do :) 

I might add some trim around so it actual inserts over the 4x4.  If i can figure out a way to add a cheap solar led light to them that would be nice too. Maybe i can convert a dollar store yard light to work. 

Attachments

• 0716191235a (Small).jpg
    0716191235a (Small).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 0716191236 (Small).jpg
    0716191236 (Small).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 0716191236a (Small).jpg
    0716191236a (Small).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 59
I did something similar once.  They split and cracked within a year.  Hope yours works better.  I then put fake Brass ones on, lasting over 10 years.

SpencerPJ said:
I did something similar once.  They split and cracked within a year.  Hope yours works better.  I then put fake Brass ones on, lasting over 10 years.

Looking at the way that grain is running, I agree, they'll probably crack in no time.  The grain is round and they'll warp first then split especially if they are in direct sunlight all day.

Rene T said:
Looking at the way that grain is running, I agree, they'll probably crack in no time.  The grain is round and they'll warp first then split especially if they are in direct sunlight all day.

SpencerPJ said:

Any way to prevent that guys?    Maybe i can apply something other than paint that will protect them longer.

Texas Heat, I doubt it.  Some Hard woods or Cedar might hold up better, but the treated stuff, it dries out and cracks very easily.  I repaired a rather old privacy fence, cedar, that actually is holding up very well.  I added some treated stuff to a section I extended, less than 10 years, looks like crap. I plan to replace about 50 pickets (dog eared) this fall.

Does applying pentacryl work?  Its expensive though.  I have read that sometimes it wont dry out for 3 years but then again that means it cant be painted either i guess.

But thinking about this another way.  It is scrap wood and all it costs me is alittle paint and my time so i guess if i can get a few years out of them that would be ok, maybe by then i can afford the good ones. 

If they are perfectly flat where it will sit on a post, you may be able to install a screw on each corner. They may keep it from splitting. Make sure you pre-drill holes for the screws with a clearance drill bit.

https://www.ebay.com/i/131785181242?chn=ps&var=431154803863&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=431154803863_131785181242&targetid=537215832168&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9019129&campaignid=1881303721&mkgroupid=70239136935&rlsatarget=pla-537215832168&abcId=1139336&merchantid=114708808&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjrvpBRC0ARIsAFrFuV96pBPeLKCTI0hAd3LYbB3B0J9QkYTzfg9v0V8sNjQQtrM_S2FZ_-waAvc8EALw_wcB

Thanks Rene :)

Mel great find, but i wonder why the white ones are more expensive of the same type. 

Just an update here, i got my post caps done and then i went to the dollar store and bought 14 outdoor lights that you stick in the ground, then i removed the ground stake from them and that left a 5/8 stem on the bottom.  Drilled a 5/8 hole in the middle of each post cap and used calking to seal them into the post cap.  Now i have good looking post cap lights that were cheap, and it one goes out ill just go buy another one for a buck...

At night it looks do different that if i spent big money on the fancy ones.    The only thing i would do different with the post caps is make them bigger, they seem alittle small being the same size as the 4x4 and look kind of funny up there.  But with the light it looks great.

Here is the finished product, now i just need to keep the birds from pooping on them.  Maybe i can set up alittle wire from the light that zaps their little butts a bit when they poop on them so they learn. lol :)

Attachments

• 0813191552d (Medium).jpg
    0813191552d (Medium).jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, yeah everyone around me has brown or natural or white fences, so i wanted something different and since i have a yellow truck i thought why not...

I am proud of it, it and the 4x8 5" thick slab i poured (thinking it was 18 bags of concrete and ended up being 45 and it was a very hot muggy day.  I am not only proud of the work but also that i made it through without ending up in the hospital or worse from heat stroke, considering my health issues. 

As hot as it has been i usually only go out from 6 - 8 am and then from 7:30pm till dark.  Yesterday i went out at 7:30pm  as usual and was watering the yard just enough to keep it alive.  And all of a sudden i noticed i was sweating like crazy.  It was still warm and i was hot but i was sweating way too much for the temp.  All of a sudden the light bulb in my head came on and i said to myself "oh shoot im having a low, thats why im sweating so bad"  i dropped everything and hussled inside water flowing off of me everywhere and took my blood test.  Sure enough my glucose was 70 and i knew i had to get some sugar in me like right now because i know at 50 i can hardly walk or make decisions. 

I drank some apple juice (goes right to the blood stream), cookies, a sugar pill, a small candy bar, and some water.  In about 20 min i stopped sweating and felt so much better and finished watering outside.  This was the first time a low has hit me outside with such force, at least now i know to expect it and be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom