making seats for our rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vernitta

Hello!  I am new and have a question about making seats to put in our rv.

We are buying a 78 Dodge Midas.  There are two chairs sitting on the floor.  They are not bolted down or anything.  I want to redo the inside (curtains and such), so I don't really want the chairs.  I was thinking of making 2 small bench seats that we can also use for storage, but I'm unsure if it is legally possible.  Does anyone know the answer to this?  Thank you very much in advance.

Hmmm either no one knows the answer or I'm not asking the question right.

Is there some law against making a bench seat for your rv?  Or is there some standard that you have to adhere to if you make one? 

Maybe the folks with the right answer just haven't been online since you asked the question. While waiting for folks to show up, here's my take on it:

Any regulations or standards that might exist for the construction of things in the living area are likely to apply only to the original manufacturer, not the owner. Many folks have either added items of furniture of their choice, or built them themselves. As a simple example, many motorhome owners here on the forum have purchased standalone "Euro chairs" which were designed for home use. They're often not secured, although some are. We've also seen folks make benches that convert into beds for vans and campers.

I know of no law against what you want to do, but such an unsecured bench seat would not be usable when in motion.  If the seats were securely fastened to the vehicle frame, and had proper seat belts, then they could be used for passengers.

There is some risk in having unsecured furniture in a moving vehicle.  It will move in a hard stop or even a fast turn, but as Tom mentioned, many of us have installed free standing recliners and accept the occasional movement.

The existing free standing chairs were not legal for passenger use while in motion anyway, so removing them has no effect on the legal passenger capacity or the vehicle on seat belt regulations. Go ahead and remodel any way you like.

Late 70's vehicles were covered by mandatory seat belt laws (lap type, not shoulder harness), so make sure you end up with a fixed mount, lap belted seat for every  passenger you expect to carry.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I do plan on building a frame for the bench seat that will bolted to floor and wall.  My main goal is to have a place for more storage, a possible place to sleep, and somewhere for my children to be buckled in. 

again not sure of MV laws in your area but in Canada if you are going to have a seat belt it MUST be attached to the frame of the vehicle. in my 74 rockwood the dinette has a metal "loop" just under the plywood of the seat. the lap belts are attached to these. can send you pics if it ever stops raining.

Well thank you for your answers.  We've decided to not buy the rv.  The guy wanted $600 for it, which isn't bad, but we would need to get new tires, hoses, carburator, seats.... Too much for our little budget.  We've decided to keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom