Making your mattress more comfortable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have sucked at buying mattresses for like my whole life. Other than 2 minutes at a mattress store there really is no way to judge a mattress until you spend a couple of nights in it. It is also a major purchase that happens like once every 10-15 years.

I know there are some places with "full return" guarantees but another failure of mine is that I am not good at that stuff either.

So please be patient with the different ways that folks try to help -- they're not trying to insult you, or demean you, just trying to get a point across.

Many of us are also aware of the lurkers who may watch threads a lot but don't post much or people new and searching, yada, yada, yada...

I'd say 1/3 of my posts are not normally aimed entirely at the OPs problem - especially after the first 10 or so posts because by that time most questions are "asked and answered." Same with every forum I am on...

A couple of years ago, I ordered a custom mattress from Brad and Hall in Elkhart, IN. (It was custom because my mattress was a short queen and also had a corner cut out of it for the slide.) They messed up my order, and it had to be reordered and shipped to me late, so I will not do business with them again. I had a choice of three thicknesses, and I ordered the middle one, but had I to do it again, I would have ordered the thickest one. It is mostly foam, and the mattress has several layers of varying densities of foams, but it is very comfortable, and I never bottom-out on it, as you do with some foam mattresses.

I believe you can order directly from the factory, and the tag on the mattress says it was manufactured for Mobile Sleep Components, 6732 West Coal Mine Avenue, Littleton, CO. Cost was about $800, but that takes into consideration the weird size and the fact that I let Brad and Hall measure it in case I got it wrong.

I line the plywood decking under the mattress with a layer of those interlocking floor pads. You can buy the at many places. they are sold as soft floor covering for play, exercise and even workshops. Easy to trim the excess off. Here's a link from Amazon so you know what I'm talking about. There are a couple different thicknesses you can buy. My last set came from Harbor Freight (1/2" thick). The set before that came from Sam's Club. It also helps to make the decking warmer in the wintertime. I put the floor mats on my floor in the winter too. I wouldn't get any mat thinner than 1/2". So put the floor mat down and then plop your choice of mattress on top of it.

My Bigfoot has a mattress made by Ducan Industries in Lethbridge, Alberta. (they have supplied almost all interior fabrics and mattress' to Bigfoot for years.) It is an inner spring mattress that is not particularly thick, about 5 inches, but I find it comfortable. Some people add the Froli spring system under the mattress as it adds more cushion and also provides ventilation under the mattress to help prevent mold. I need a new mattress at home and intend to look into a Latex mattress. At least one co-worker flew out to Albuquerque I think it was, to check out and buy a latex mattress (airline employees have that ability ;>)

The Froli system is expensive so I went with a material called HYPERVENT AIRE-FLOW™ MOISTURE BARRIER. It provides an air gap under the mattress and some cushion also.

190a3-Mattress-mesh-underlayment-Close-up-to-show-thickness-of-material.jpg

Froli system....................

Froli_Star_RV-install-1_2048x.jpg

Charles

This may not help but we had a problem with our van bed too. It is on top of the bench seat in the back of the van. and we at first thought the cushioning on the beach seat was good enough. Nope not after the first night. the framework was VERY uncomfy so we got a good 6-inch foam mattress and it worked. Though we had to cut it to fit. Hubby liked his side, but mine had a bar right across my hips. Other than that, it is fine. I don't feel the bar until about the 3rd night then it starts being uncomfy so, I got a new rug from Habitat for Humanity and put under the mattress it helped a lot. firmed up the foam etc. still after a week of sleeping it feels a bit like we are sleeping on a foam mess and the rug did not have a rubber back so sometimes it slips around a bit. Now I am thinking about something a bit more substantial. I might get a piece of plywood and cover it with the foam flooring, but maybe just foam flooring sandwiching the rug and all glued together. I know there are things like the foam flooring that are made for horse stables and workspaces that are big enough so as not to need to use lots of little pieces so it won't slip on slide apart.

When we evacuated from idalia I stayed on my nieces pull out. It had a combination coil and air mattress. I think the couch was Sealy but not 100% sure on that. All I know was that pull out couches tend to have frames right where they hurt.

This mattress, though was amazing. It wasn't' super quality coils but the combo with air was really comfortable. I am planning to put one in the teardrop I will renovate.

Here's an example from Amazon.

1694521447941.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom