Maneuverability comparison- TT vs 5er?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrosbyDave

Next on my shopping need to figure out- (soon to switch from bunkhouse to rear living style)

When comparing a TT to a 5er, with the pivot point in the bed vs behind the bumper- are 5th wheels "easier" to maneuver in and out of tight spots?

Our current 32' 5er is a tight squeeze to get it where it needs to go for when in storage beside my house. Tight but doable.
Picture backing into a 2 wide , then expands to 3 wide driveway perpendicular to the road without much room to spare.

If I were to switch to a TT, would I be able to pull that off with the same length trailer or would it need to be substantially shorter?

A rental is planed before buying to help me figure these things out- but I thought I would ask here to glean from this forum memberships experience in the meantime.

Thanks again for the advice!

I towed tag trailers for years and switched to a fiver as my last towable. I found there to be a world of difference. Positive difference. It was easier to hitch. Easier backing into a spot.

Pretty much everything about it was easier.

A class A proved to be even easier. Except for the maintenance and cost I mean. I still miss the simplicity of my fifth wheel.

Both turn approximately in the middle,, but the 5er will handle much better under most all towing situations,, particularly in wind and other wondering wobbling,, conditions..>>>Dan ( And stabilizers aren't needed.)

Our current 32' 5er is a tight squeeze to get it where it needs to go for when in storage beside my house. Tight but doable.
Most who have towed both will agree that the fifth wheel is more maneuverable and easier to back, but there are a few exceptions. With the pivot point over or in front of the rear axle it makes backing totally different. Most will be in front of the axle but with a short box truck and a sliding hitch it could be on the axle. I can only recall knowing one or two people who couldn't convert to the change so that is rare, but it can happen.

There are some situations where a TT is easier to maneuver, simply because it responds much more quickly to steering wheel input. You have less worry about space for the front end of the tow vehicle to swing because a momentary twist of the wheel is all it takes to get the trailer moving in the right direction. Overall, though, the 5W can be made to tackle more extreme situations if the driver is skilled.

I don't think length is a factor comparing one vs the other.

When I had travel trailers I finally got what I thought was good at backing, took a while but I finally got it. Then switched to a 5th wheel, WOW, I found that longer, heavier and taller 5th wheel so much easier to stick into a site or tight spot. If your able to get your 5er unit into that spot now, I would think a travel trailer would be harder to control, but that was just me.

Back
Top Bottom