Map updates Garmin 2610/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Anyone know if there are mapping updates for the Garmin2610 or 2620?  I have been to the web site, but am not sure of what I am looking at.  The reason I ask is that my Garmin screen suddenly spit forth a notice saying to check the web for updates.  I assume the Garmin was programmed to generate this reminder once a year or so.  The mapping I have is very outdated for the Phoenix area because of the rapid growth over the last year.

Smoky said:
Anyone know if there are mapping updates for the Garmin2610 or 2620?  I have been to the web site, but am not sure of what I am looking at.  The reason I ask is that my Garmin screen suddenly spit forth a notice saying to check the web for updates.  I assume the Garmin was programmed to generate this reminder once a year or so.  The mapping I have is very outdated for the Phoenix area because of the rapid growth over the last year.

Smoky

New City Navigator maps are usually put out in July. However there are also updates for the Mapsource program and the 2620 firmware. Best to check the Garmin website occasionally for updates.

Smoky,

The last updates were issued in July and August 2005:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=1980.0

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=2023.0

The upgrade DVD was originally $150, but then Garmin reduced it to $75.? IMO it wasn't worth even that, as the maps did not improve noticeably.? I would not hold my breath for significant map improvement, since it can take a few years at best.? During a trip to Brooksville FL after installing the map update, I drove into dead ends near the airport on roads that were closed at least 10 years ago if not more.

You may want to wait until August or September 2006 at least to see what Garmin will do this year.

I have serious doubts that the updates for the Phoenix area will show up even by City Nav version 15, current version is 7 and I know many errors that were in version 1 were still present in version 6.  Not favorably impressed with City Nav and my feeling is the same as Steve's the upgrades are not even worth the $75 they charge now.

One good change in V7 is that they have caught up with the exit renumbering of several interstates (but not all of them).

There is a firmware update for the 2620  that I just installed last week - it probably applies to the 2610 too. You can get on Garmins mail list and be notified of future firmware changes.

You're right Gary about not all being included.  I can't recall what part of our return trip from FLA this Spring was not updated along I-81

The best part about Garmin updates is the automatic downloader for updates.

This might be a good time to once again poll the forum, asking for opinions about what stand alone GPS product offers the best mapping and other features.  Not software for a PC, but which GPS unit does the best job on iits own.

I used to drive with a laptop running, but after I got the Garmin 2620 I got used to just having the GPS handle things.  I still do some planning on the laptop the night before a trip, but once underway, I stick to the 2620.  What do people like this year in the way of GPS self contained navigators and why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom