Marine toilet v.s. China, Porcelain Toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wingdwolf

Hello all!
? We are looking at moving up to a newer rv and were wondering what some of your opinions were on the differences between Marine toilets and the Porcelain toilets we're seeing in some of the new models. I'm leaning towards the China, and definately want a foot flush, but I value your opinions, so I thought I'd hold off till the verdict was in.
Thanks

As far as I'm concerned, the difference is just looks.

There are three types of mechanisms. One (in most all china toilets) is a ball valve that rotates to open. Another type (often seen in older Thetford toilets and some newer models too) is a flat "knife" valve. Still another type is a powered flush that pumps the waste to the tank raher than relying on gravity (drop direct into tank).  The primary advantgae of the pump type is that the black tank can be located away from the toilet, plus some people don't like the thought of the pipe opening directly into the waste tank (out of sight, out of mind  ;) ).

And as you have noticed, some are operated by a hand lever and others by a foot valve. I prefer the foot valve myself, but others prefer the more home-like hand lever.

I have to agree with Gary. We have "marine toilets" in our boat that are porcelain, as is the one in our motorhome.The difference, as Gary points out, is that the one in our motorhome uses gravity and a little water to flush, whereas the ones on our boat use a vacuum flush, as do some of the newer/high end motorhomes.

Thank you for your input. It helps. Now we've only got to narrow down the RV!!! I think...and I mean think we're gong to go with  a Keystone, but the more we look, the more confused we get! Guess I'll just keep reading and learning. The motorhome wasn't as hard a decision for me because I concentrated so much on the chassis. Now that we've learned more about the type of RVing we want to do; which is park at a campsite all summer,we have to concentrate more on the camper itself. We do know for certain which floorplan types we like, and fortunately we don't have to have it at the site until April of 07 so we have plenty of time to decide. But any suggestions would be great.

wingdwolf said:
Hello all!
  We are looking at moving up to a newer rv and were wondering what some of your opinions were on the differences between Marine toilets and the Porcelain toilets we're seeing in some of the new models. I'm leaning towards the China, and definately want a foot flush, but I value your opinions, so I thought I'd hold off till the verdict was in.
Thanks

China is nice but should not dictate which RV you buy. Toilets can be changed very easily so decide on what floor plan is desirable and worry about the toilet later. I like the china toilets but the plastic ones work just as well. The most important item is the "skid mark remover"!!! If it does not have one be sure to ask if one can be added. It's not as impotant for skid marks as it is for toilet paper. If your shower is close enough that can become your "skid marker remover".

It's for sure that the stuff that goes into the commode doesn't give *&^@ whether it's plastic or porcelain.  And it certainly isn't something to fret over.  As long as it works, is the main thing. And it's better than the outhouse.

Actually, the toilet is one very small part of the decision. The floorplan is the biggest deciding factor for us. Having decided that, we are now in the process of comparing the features of differant models with similar floorplans. That includes construction, standard features, decor, etc.I'm not so anal (no pun intended) as to let a toilet be the deciding factor. AND I realize that I can buy a toilet of my choice and install it myself.Thank you very much!

Wingdwolf,

My comment was made entirely in jest :D Last year I replaced my old Thetford plastic toilet with a Sealand porcelain unit primarily because the old one had lost its' surface slipperiness, built up hard water deposits quickly, and required a lot of cleaning time. Over the long haul, I think you'll find the procelain models more enduring, easier to maintain, and not so fussy as to cleaning methods and products used.

Karl,

I realize your comments were made in jest. But, when we were shopping for a coach, I felt that pottie location was important. Before a salesman started his pitch, I'd ask "does this have a right handed or left handed toilet?" I got lots of deer-in-the-headlights looks and was amazed how many RV designers squished the pottie against the "wrong" wall.

Oh Boy!! Never thought about the right or left handed thing...Oh well...I think we found one...a Keystone Hornet 29RLS. I think it has a 'right-handed' pottie..and it'd china!! I guess I like the china cuz it's like home. And I knew everyone was joking. I've found RVers to be a generally good natured group of folks! Any thought on the Keystone line?

I have a related question.  If you need to replace the toilet seat on a Standard RV toilet, Is it a standard "Round" seat (assuming it's a round toilet) or is the size off an inch here or there... Alas, by looks I can not tell and the toilet in my house is a Toto, decidely non-standard

wingdwolf said:
I think it has a 'right-handed' pottie..

I hope you're not left handed. Oh boy, I think staff member Betty is going to whack me with a 2x4 saying "TMI" (too much information).

Wingdwolf,

I've never had a TT, but you see a lot of Keystones on the road. Looking at the specs for the 29RLS does raise some questions, however. Maybe it's just an omission, but I didn't see any reference to a furnace in the unit. Maybe the a/c has a heat strip, but that may not be enough for really cool nights. It also has very limited outside storage space, so you may have to carry a lot of your gear in the truck. Unless you're planning on staying at full hookup parks exclusively, a generator (and maybe an inverter) would be, IMHO, a necessity. There isn't an outside bay to install one, but maybe a Honda EU1000I or 2000I or similar could be carried in the truck for those boondocking trips. Without an inverter, appliances like the coffee maker and such would have to be 12 Volt, and there aren't that many choices to be had. Just some things to consider. You did say that you planned on staying at a campsite all summer, so maybe some of these things are of no concern.

Good luck in your 'house hunting' :)

Karl,
  Thank you for your input. The Keystone has floor ducts for heat and the thermostat has a position for heat but as you mentioned, the website nor the brochure mention a furnace. I'll have to add that to my list of things to double check. The 07 TT is going for about  $19500. Not too bad a price, I think. We would love to have a 5er but they're out of our $ range at this time.And as I said, we're planning on just staying at the one campground during the summer and also storing it there for the winters. Our traveling days are still a few years away and we really enjoyed the campground this year. We just didn't like the confines of our 21' motorhome. Storage shouldn't be too much of an issue since we won't be on the road. I have an extra 5k Onan That I can take to the campsite to use as backup. I'll just have to figure out a place to put it. I  may just build it a small shed! But I do know where to come when we are ready to hit the road in a few more years and we need advice on motorhomes and 5th wheels!!

Back
Top Bottom