Massive propane regulator recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Certain Winntec model 6020 two stage propane regulators installed on many recreational vehicles may supply elevated, intermittent or low propane pressure to the appliances. This is causing recalls to be issued for many brands of RV, most (if not all) towables.

Here's the Jayco recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V425-3062.PDF

And here's a list of brands supposedly involved and the NHTSA recall Id for each. I don't know how complete or accurate the list is, so do your own due diligence.

GRAND DESIGN 21V393 55508 UNITS RECALLED
JAYCO 21V425 87649 UNITS RECALLED
KZRV 21V426 100 UNITS RECALLED
KEYSTONE 21V427 80000 UNITS RECALLED
HIGHLAND RIDGE 21V430 3072 UNITS RECALLED
STARCRAFT 21V431 11853 UNITS RECALLED

bzerull

Certain Winntec model 6020 two stage propane regulators installed on many recreational vehicles may supply elevated, intermittent or low propane pressure to the appliances. This is causing recalls to be issued for many brands of RV, most (if not all) towables.

Here's the Jayco recall notice: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V425-3062.PDF

And here's a list of brands supposedly involved and the NHTSA recall Id for each. I don't know how complete or accurate the list is, so do your own due diligence.

GRAND DESIGN 21V393 55508 UNITS RECALLED
JAYCO 21V425 87649 UNITS RECALLED
KZRV 21V426 100 UNITS RECALLED
KEYSTONE 21V427 80000 UNITS RECALLED
HIGHLAND RIDGE 21V430 3072 UNITS RECALLED
STARCRAFT 21V431 11853 UNITS RECALLED
Yup, i got my notice from Grand Design

Chris Bloom

I am one of the three individuals who first noticed the problem. Approximately 1/3 of the known fire cases are ones I have been involved in personally. I publicly commend the OEM manufacturers for jumping on this (in the interests of Public and Life Safety of their customers) and performing a recall .

Update: NHTSA and Transport Canada were involved in some recent lab testing earlier this month, and I understand they were shocked at the results found. I would not be surprised to see the Winntec 6020 ordered to be recalled by years end by either or both regulatory agencies.

Chris

CharlesinGA

Here is the Jayco remedy letter. On page 4 it has a picture of the regulator and shows how to determine the week/year of manufacture.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V425-2996.pdf

There are twelve associated documents related to the recall by Jayco including the one above.

gwinger

Seems most companies have sent out notices. I have a KZ Sportmen and still have not received mine. My TT is one of the ones affected. I have contacted KZ and keep getting a runaround. They tell me they sent the notices out but must be held up by the Postal Service.
They don't have have any replacements and say they are not responsible to replace them since they didn't make the regulators.
My dealer is in the same bind, KZ will not respond to them.

CharlesinGA

The best thing you can probably do is forget about dealing the the RV mfg or the dealer and simply order a regulator, pigtails, etc. and install it and move on. Its not like its that expensive.

THIS regulator and 15 inch pigtails

AND THIS bracket, and THIS cover

I see a lot of the regulators are gone off of Amazon, must be a rush on them. You can do better buying the regulator and pigtails separately but I cannot find them on Amazon. They were there just a few weeks ago..

DO NOT get the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 with either an H or an L on the end. The H is a high flow regulator and is olive drab green on the large diaphragm housing, the L is a low flow regulator and is bright blue on the large diaphragm housing. The standard flow (what you want) is bare metal. and is a MEGR-253 (bulk package and Amazon will break it, they did mine) or a MEGR-253P which is a plastic blister pack and ships better. Marshall Excelsior is all USA made.

Fairview regulators are made in Mexico and have a history of being junk, and JR Products is marketing the Fairview regulator. Flame King is mostly China made crap, but I don't know for sure. Not sure who might be making the Camco regulator, though they have a reputation of making or having made for them a lot of products here in the US. There is an Italian made regulator, Cavagna Group that makes an auto switch over regulator, my travel buddy has one on the trailer he bought earlier this year. They are probably OK, I have not heard anything good or bad about them.

Be very aware that some places are still selling the Wintec regulators and pigtails such as HERE and the price is quite tempting but you don't know what you are getting. It is Flame King branded but is clearly the Wintec regulator. The recall requires changing out the pigtails, and I'm not sure why, unless the flow fuses inside the ACME nuts on the end are not shutting off like they should. Camping World is selling THIS regulator made? by Erenco whose low tank indicator is the same style as the Marshall Excelsior but the rest of the regulator is different, HOWEVER, on the Erenco website they show they are marketing THIS Wintec regulator. I also found the Wintec regulator being sold under the Flame King name on Ebay, so BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Charles

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hqcustomdesign
Top Bottom