Matching truck to camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen some home made rigs like that, Jayne.  Not elegant but perhaps workable. Seems like it might be top heavy, though. I've never seen a flat bed truck that was really low - the bed is above the frame rails.  They use low-slung trailers for that sort of thing.

Carl,

Thanks for giving me that link.  Now I really have a lot to drool over and wish..... :)

Gary,

Unfortunately, I think you are right about getting a strong enough chassis without being too topheavy.  This is especially important cuz the Fox weighs about 10k loaded.

Hey, a girl can dream, right??? :)

If you have made alterations to your truck that you believe would allow you to exceed it's weight ratings safely would it be possible to obtain an overweight permit from the DOT?

DavidPhillips said:
If you have made alterations to your truck that you believe would allow you to exceed it's weight ratings safely would it be possible to obtain an overweight permit from the DOT?

There is no way that I am aware of to legally exceed the truck manufactures weight ratings safely and legally without obtaining approval from the manufacturer.? In order for the manufacturer to approve an increase to the weight rating the manufacturer would need to get approval from the vendors of all affected components and issue a letter stating the weight ratings have been increased and justification as well  new stickers and  documentation rivising the weight ratings.? Probably a lot of engineering involved so I doubt it would be practical in most cases.

I don't even think there is such a thing. To the best of my knowledge, no DOT (federal or individual states) certifies weight ratings - they merely accept and enforce what the manufacturer of the vehicle specifies.  And they only do that for commercial applications. For private vehicles, the issue of GVWR etc. arises only if you become involved is a safety dispute, e.g. a traffic accident.

ZuniJayne said:
Greetings, all....

I did have a crazy idea for a pickup camper sorta thing.? I have an '01 Arctic Fox 26X travel trailer with a slideout.? Its actually a great rig, but now I want to take my little 4WD with me when I travel.? I definitely don't want to tow the 4WD behind the Fox behind my truck.? Too long, too heavy and dangerous.

However, I thought? = what if I got a good used flatbed cabover truck rated under 26k, and put the Fox on that, sans axles?? As long as the truck chassis wasn't too far off the ground, the Fox wouldn't be too high in the air.? Then I could tow the 4WD along behind it.? I don't have a Class A license but I do have lots of trucking experience.

Anyone ever see such a combination???

you could get a goose neck trailer put both on that.

Back
Top Bottom