Maximum Interstate speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious to get your take on how fast you tow your travel trailer on the interstate, noticed a wide range of speeds on the road

Thanks

As a rule I never exceed 65 MPH, regardless of what the posted limit is. I have seen as high as 85 mph.  A vehicle towing another vehicle has a lot of issues that a solo car size vehicle doesn't have.  And after all, how fast you can go is not the issue.  It's how safely you can stop what ever it is that you are traveling in. 

I used to travel between 65 and 67mph. I have slowed to 60mph and gained at least 1m/gal. I stay in the right lane unless running through a busy city and am enjoying the trips much more than before.

If conditions require it, I will increase my speed so as not to hinder traffic but those are rare occasions.

In my MH, I have always kept between 58 - 62 mph.  This year I plan to try 55-60 mph.  I have never been in a situation where I hinder traffic....if so, I will adjust accordingly.
The way I look at it, why should I be in a hurry?????
I am on 'vacation' and Florida will still be there tomorrow............

Enjoy your ride, drive safely........

Most tires put on trls by mfgr are rated at 65mph so anything above that with stock tires is an accident waiting to happen. I set the cruse at about 62-63 and that leaves me a couple of mphs to pass if needed.

Your trailers tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 MPH.  There is no way I would go that fast with the ST tires you will find under your trailer.  Keep your speed under 60.

At 62 MPH, I am more comfortable and the truck and trailer seem to be also.  I get paid for my patience at the gas pump.

I would rather have a few passing me than me having to pass a lot of others. I usually stay between 60 and 65 and dri9ve in the right lane except when in a large metro area, then usually middle lane. If I find that I'm passing too many or too many are passing me, I will adjust me speed a little.

Jerry

We generally go 55-60 depending on the speed limit.  But I try to stay off the interstate if possible.  Going north I tend to spend a lot of time on the 395, it's prettier and I can look at around and enjoy the drive.

Jeff

I drive at 60 +/- 5 MPH on the interstates with our motorhome. It seems to be a good range. The transmission drops from 6th to 5th gear at about 55 and GM says that the 2012 Malibu must be towed below 65.

Fuel mileage is best as slow as it can be driven and still stay in 6th gear.

First off I will say this is a double edge sword for trailer haulers.

1. Remember most all ST tires are rate for only 60-65 MPH.

2. Then as for highway speed limit here is a list of them for each state.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Now remember just because a state always faster speed doesn't mean your tires will handle it. Like I had one friend that had several blow out complaining about Chain tires. After telling him about the speed limit of tires he's reduced to 65 MPH and reduced the amount of blows but still having them. That like saying my Cummins has a redline of 3,200 RPM so its safe to drive that fast. Same with a tire just because marginally in the limit of design doesn't mean its safe. I would hold at least -5 MPH below the speed rating of any ST tire and  you shouldn't have any problems.

Typically set the cruise for 55 MPH. It not about how fast you can get there its all about relaxing and enjoying the trip. Why drive at the limit of everything and having a white knuckle trip? 

The ST tires on nearly all trailers are rated for a max of 65 mph.  And running them all day at 65 is really pushing them to the max - not a good idea.

If your trailer has LT tires, then running at 65 all day should not be a problem.

Reducing speed will dramatically improve fuel economy. Slower is better.

I tow a 30' TT and run 55, slower if it's windy.  Avoid interstates like the plague, but sometime's they're necessary.  I stay in the right lane and don't impede traffic.  If I'm on a two laner and traffic starts backing up behind me and they can't pass, I will find a safe place to pull off and let them around. 

There are a  plethora of areas in my life where I'm in a constant Hell-Fired hurry by necessity.....RVing isn't one of them.  It's the time I relax and decompress, and my driving reflects that.  Plus my feeling is that if something goes wrong at 55, I can probably gather it back up or at least minimize damage or the potential for injury.  At 70, maybe not.  Plus I pick up about 1 mpg by going slower.  And what's the cost....I get there an hour later?  Big deal. 

Our policy is to keep it at 55 mph maximum. As our driving instructor reminded us, it is a recreational vehicle. No need to hurry, and any extra speed just adds to the risks as well as wear and tear. Good point about the 65 mph tire rating, too. Besides the added risk, tires are just too expensive to wear them out unnecessarily.

I have ST tires on my Aliner Expedition so for sure, I stay below the 65 max.  Considering the price of gas, a margin of safety and I like to enjoy the trips I keep it between 55 & 60mph.  Only times I hit 65 is for passing.

Where are you guys???

I typically drive the Interstates and usually maintain 65-68 MPH. I get passed (usually by motor homes admittedly) more than I pass RV's. I'd have to guess that I'm traveling about the average speed so where are all of those traveling at 60??

Ernie

I do 65 max on interstates. However, I have found that taking back roads or US highways are much more pleasant and enjoyable so I now avoid interstates whenever possible. So, I usually do maximum of speed limit +5 but no more than 65. If I have to slow down thru a town, so what? Probably going to stop at the Dairy Queen anyhow. :)

I no longer pull a trailer but the ones I had objected to high speed. With the motor homoe I keep it to 55-60 cause any faster and as the speedometer moves up, The gas gauge moves DOWN.

In California, if you are pulling "anything" or have more than two axles, the speed limit is 55 mph - and you are required to stay in the far right lane unless posted otherwise when driving through certain cities.

Truckers rarely follow the law and live with the occasional crack downs. Also, the State allows numerous pot holes in the freeway system to assist in the speed laws. They also put incredible constraints and additives on gas production and will only allow gas refined in CA to further enforce the speed laws and to keep gas prices up.

I have no problem with the 55 limit - and cringe when TT and MH's pass me at much higher speeds. 55 mph is plenty fast enough - especially for some of the towing combos I see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom