Maxxfan questions/ changing title to a/c unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornnumb2

We are in Texas and the used trailer I just got only has a 13500 unit on it. I think it’s going to have a hard time keeping up. I was thinking of adding a maxxfan to bedroom area to help cool it down just in ceiling fan mode(vent closed). Does anybody have one that can confirm some air flow running it that way? I am a very hot sleep and need all the help possible. Do the make a a/c unit that is smaller that could be put in the bedroom instead? Thanks

editing this, holy moly I just looked up how much they cost. Might as well invest in a/c unit instead.

Last edited:
Remember if you add a second A/C and you have a 30 amp panel you may have to upgrade the electrical. There are cheaper alternatives than a Maxxfan like the $65 Heng's Vortex II forward/reverse multispeed fan. The Amazon ratings are about the same. Easy installation without modifying the existing vent.

I question how much airflow there would be with the vent lid closed. It would have to draw air between the outer edges of the fan and the shroud. It is nice to have a vent fan though. Maybe not this time of year but when the outside temp is below 70 at night mine pulls a good breeze through a window instead of running the A/C all night.

as thebar ^^ said, you will not be able to run (2) 13,500 btu air conditioners on a 30 amp breaker panel, no way. as for the vent fan, its not wise to run it with the top closed, it won't move much air this way. an easier way to work around this ( to me anyway ), run a regular electric fan near the cooled area, point it back to the sleeping area.

Agree with the others that circulating air from the cooler front back to the bedroom is best done with a portable fan aimed in the right direction. The Maxair (or whatever) in the ceiling won't achieve much. The portable fan is better, but still probably not enough to make you comfortable.

The best solution is to install a second a/c in the bedroom. If you only have 30A power, turn off the front a/c and use the bedroom a/c at night. However, it's a challenge to get 120v power to the roof opening unless it was prewired for an a/c at the factory (possible but not usual). You might consider a small window a/c or a portable with tubes that vent thru a window.

What about a 12v ceiling fan? Do they have some airflow output?
In my Beaver the bedroom ceiling fan was great. In my Newmar Ventana the A/C ducts run down the center of the ceiling and the slides cover the rest of the ceiling when they are closed, so a ceiling fan isn't possible. As a result, we have a small plug-in fan that sits on a shelf and blows directly to the bed. It provides some pretty good air flow for us.

If your ceiling is high enough a flush mount ceiling fan might work, but you still need power to it. I never found any that were flush enough to be out of the way. Instead I bought a 10" table top fan at Walmart that had an all metal stand and grill. If you can picture this, I used 2 self drilling screws through the stand to attach it upside down hanging from the bottom of the overhead cabinet above the bed. There was already a 110v outlet on the bottom of the cabinet. It is completely out of the way and still pivots 90 degrees vertically. My wife runs hot so she had me install another one under the overhead cabinet above her recliner in the main room.

If your ceiling is high enough a flush mount ceiling fan might work, but you still need power to it. I never found any that were flush enough to be out of the way. Instead I bought a 10" table top fan at Walmart that had an all metal stand and grill. If you can picture this, I used 2 self drilling screws through the stand to attach it upside down hanging from the bottom of the overhead cabinet above the bed. There was already a 110v outlet on the bottom of the cabinet. It is completely out of the way and still pivots 90 degrees vertically. My wife runs hot so she had me install another one under the overhead cabinet above her recliner in the main room.
Could you send a pic of your arrangement? Thank you

I do not know how much air will flow with the max-fan in "Ceiling fan" mode... Never even thought of it. a regular ceiling fan (low profile) might work

Adding a 2nd A/c to a 30 amp rig. Well.. I've done that (I had a 50 amp RV with 2 ACs on a 30 amp site)
At some parks this WILL NOT WORK
But at most there is both a 30 and a 20 amp outlet in the panel
The 2nd AC you simply run it with an independent power feed (20 amp) and use the 20 amp outlet 12ga cord to connect. That way it is independent of the RV's 30 amp system.

On my 50 amp I ran a 12ga wire from the A/C breaker to a box in the outside wall that had an outlet in it.. also a cord with plug from said box back to a junction box where I moved the A/C power lead.

On a 50 amp site I plugged into the outlet in the box
on a 30 I plugged into the park's 20 amp

When I needed 120vac on the Driver's side (IE: to inflate a tire) I plugged the compressor in instead of the A/C if on the road.

Since it is now October I'll mention we use these fans to even out the temperature from room to room and floor to ceiling when using 1500 watt electric heaters. Hanging upside down these fans will pivot 180 degrees. Aimed down the length of our 30' RV it circulates the air throughout. Also helps to eliminate condensation.

We rarely use the propane furnace because 1 heater will keep it 72 inside down to 35 outside. A second heater is good down to 25 outside. These electric heaters have a slow start and stop feature that won't wake you up. There is also a "Mainstays" brand that is just a rebranded Pelonis.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom