Maybe a Def head failure solution on the horizon! *Update with pics!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please explain the article, it will not open in the UK 🤔

Here is an excerpt from the article:

RVers solve problem that industry couldn’t​

Mark and his motorhome found themselves on a two-month trip. In Florida, Mark, like loads of other RVers, got that dreaded DEF check engine light. Happily, a dealer was able to replace his DEF head in short order, but the whole experience left Mark with a bit of anxiety – what if it happened again? He had an 8,000-mile journey planned, and having the DEF head give up the ghost again could leave him in a bad spot. A bit of Internet research soon revealed the scope of the problem of bad DEF heads – and it yielded some other RVers interested in solving the problem – even if industry couldn’t.

Soon Mark and others of interest formed a development group, bent on coming up with a DEF head alternative. It didn’t take them long. With two DEF heads in hand, one that was working, the other that had failed, they were able to determine just what a working DEF head does. Essentially, the DEF head monitors the DEF system. The DEF head communicates the quality (or concentration of urea) of the fluid is within spec. It relates that there is, in fact, DEF in the tank (quantity). This part also reports the temperature of the DEF is in a safe range. As long as the engine control module “hears” from the DEF head that all these parameters are in range, all is good. If not, the ECM (engine control module) is programmed to start the dreaded de-rating process, which leads to an eventual maximum speed of 5 miles per hour.

Tell it what it wants to hear​

So what would happen, wondered Mark’s team, if they could construct a device that took the place of the DEF head, and simply told the engine control module “what it wanted to hear”? You might think this would allow folks to cheat and not use DEF at all. But no, other sensors in the exhaust system are also on the lookout for pollutants. If the DEF system were really NOT working – for whatever reason – these other sensors would report to the ECM of the existence of excess pollutants. The ECM would then flash a warning and would eventually shut down the engine.

Prototype DEF sensor emulator in test.
Could the team build a DEF head alternative this way? Indeed. Writing a bit of computer code and feeding it to an Arduino programmable circuit board, they soon had the answer. Call it a DEF sensor emulator. In practice, the DEF head connector that leads off to the ECM is disconnected, and the emulator is plugged into the wiring. The ECM recognizes the emulator as a “DEF head,” and the board simply feeds data. Initially it tells the ECM that the DEF tank is 75% full, the fluid is 70 degrees, and the urea concentration is 32.5%. As the engine warms up, the emulator tells the ECM that the temperature is increasing, and reports an incremental decrease of the amount of fluid in the DEF tank.

Short explanation
Mark found a way to use a low-cost Arduino micro computer to Replace the DEF head and satisfy the engine computer till the faulty sensor can be replaced. This is a small box you can put in a storage bin till needed and when (not if)the flakey sensor flakes.. plug it in and go to your nearest Cummings dealer for a new head. No need for a thousand mile tow bill.

where can we buy one of these im planning a trip into mexico don t want to be stranded on the side of the road over there!!!

It is not an "off the shelf" product ready for sale. It is a device that can be fairly inexpensively built ($130-150) from parts available on the net. It is not being massed produced at this time. Here is a link to it's build instructions. They are towards the bottom of the article.

I bought and built the "Def Sensor Simulator" that was discussed in the previous article.

Here is the results of my Def Sensor Simulator (DSS) test. I purchased all of the parts as suggested in the write up by the designers of the unit. They have since done even more work researching other vendors for some of the parts as the originals sold out quickly. Total cost was about $150 for the parts. I wound up buying a 3 meter long connection cable as the 1 meter cable was already sold out by the time I ordered. That increased the cost of the cable from $15 to $30. I briefly researched other vendors, but I wanted to stay with quality parts to avoid causing any issues down the road. Actually that will work out in my favor as the 3 meter cable will give my more options for mounting it if the need ever arises.
20210920_121645.jpg

The biggest hurdle for me was figuring out where to access the downloaded zip file that contains the ECM info. Computer inter-workings are not my strong suit, but after going back and rereading the instructions a few times, I realized it was easier than I was making it out to be.

The software downloaded onto the computer board within seconds, just as the instruction said it would. I actually had more work in hooking up the 4 wires to the screw terminals than anything. Two of the wires, the red and black (power and ground) are fairly heavy and are a snug fit into the wire ports. There is a good tip on the instruction sheet to “trim a few strands off” of the heavier wires to make insertion easier. I recommend following that tip. It is critical that no strands of wire get loose and touch another, as this could create a shot circuit. I re-cut the heavier wires 3 times before I was satisfied that the connections were clean, snug, solid.

When I tested the DSS I knew I would be able to tell if the DSS was sending info to the ECM by the gauge on the dash of the Bus. It just so happened that I had stopped at a station and filled the fuel and topped up the Def on the way to our current RV park, so the gauge was showing about full. (My new sensor never shows completely full on the gauge, just below the full line). The DSS sensor is designed to tell the ECM that the Def level is at about ¾ full. For me that would be just under the ¾ line on the gauge.
20210920_125809.jpg
My Bus has a little door that allows filling the Def tank, but not much else. Fortunately when I did the sensor swap I made sure the connections for the tank were in front and accessible. Unhooking the factory connector still took a bit of effort as the connection is designed to be water tight. After getting it apart the DSS plugged in easily.
20210920_122621.jpg
All that was left was the test. I turned on my VMSpc system and opened the Diagnostic Tab. This displays any fault codes that the ECM throws. I turned the ignition to the ON position and all dash lights did their start up diagnostic as they always do. When they went out, I started the rig as normal. The fired up and all of the gauges began to receive the messages from the ECM. The Def gauge smoothly swept up to just below the ¾ mark on the gauge and stayed there. I ran the rig for a moment, then turned on the high idle for 3-4 minutes. Everything on the dash performed as expected.
20210920_123503.jpg
No new codes on the VMSpc appeared, and I also checked the Powerglide on board diagnostic. It too had a blank display indicating no active fault codes. Satisfied, shut down and removed the DSS from the Def connection. I plugged the on board connection back into the Def sensor and did a restart of the motor. All performed as expected, and the on board Def gauge swept up to just below the “full” line on the gauge. The ECM was once again getting the signals from the Def tank sensor.
20210920_123617.jpg
20210920_125851.jpg
The decision to buy and build a DSS is your personal decision, and the truth is that I hope I never need it. But with Cummins stated position that they will only “calibrate” our ECM's to over ride the derate if we are already in sensor trouble/failure makes this an easy decision for me. Peace of mind that of all the things that can go wrong with these massively complicated rigs, at least I have some control over one known failure prone part.

Back
Top Bottom