Maybe @ wit;s end

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellombris

This is for Gary RV_wizard. Don't know how to direct message you Gary, but you seem pretty involved in the forums. My son who lives in Gainsville, FL bought a used 2005 Winnebago. He's done some work on it. Insurance covered the roof tearing off and replacing rotted wood underneath. To the tune of 20k. He's had no other major problems. He went to Deland and spent the weekend, when he went to start the rv it was dead. He works IT, not real savvy about electrical, but spent hours trying to find out why everything was dead. Ended up having the rv towed to what he was told was a reputable dealer in the area. They said bringing it in, we'll work on it next week. A week went by, they replaced ignition switch. That didn't fix the problem. 4 weeks later, after repeated calls for an update, not fixed, and not a priority. My question is: Do you know of a reputable, reliable shop in the area. I talked with him today and he said he's going to see if his insurance company will consider it as a total loss, and be done with it. Seems pretty drastic, but he works a very stressful job and is about fed up. Any help is much appreciated. I picked you, cause you are in Florida also. Thank you.

the starting battery does not charge when plugged into shore power, and there is always some draw on the starting battery, so it probably went dead from the parasitic draw, and perhaps went dead quicker that it might have otherwise because the starting battery was weak.

A repair shop can't diagnose a dead battery? Seems unlikely. My RV will start no matter what state the salesman switch. Since the owner has already "written it off" and there's no one to lay hands on it for troubleshooting, about the only solution to be offered here is a shop referral.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

A repair shop can't diagnose a dead battery? Seems unlikely. My RV will start no matter what state the salesman switch. Since the owner has already "written it off" and there's no one to lay hands on it for troubleshooting, about the only solution to be offered here is a shop referral.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Yes, a reputable shop, please.

Your son probably sent it to an RV dealer. There is nothing unique about the starting system and any shop that is not scared of RVs should be able to handle it. I don't think the insurance will write it off because it won't crank.

I suspect the issue with the dealer is simply the job is low priority. RV shops are notorious for taking weeks or months to get around to doing a 1-2 hour job. They are all swamped with work so really don't care about customer goodwill, and most owners just gnash their teeth and wait for eventual completion. Though even then it may not be fixed right. Find it hard to believe that getting an RV with a dead battery started and working at least well enough to get home is that difficult. Heck, most mobile RV techs could manage that. But maybe the problem is more severe? There are no clues in this post - just that the son couldn't get it going.

Is this dealer in/near Deland? What's the name? In any case, your son is probably looking at a sizable tow bill to move it elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with shops in that area, even though I live only 1:15 away. Never had occasion to get any RV repairs there. Suggest you look at shop reviews here:

I've heard positive reports about PatRick's in Ocala, but have no personal experience there.

I suspect the issue with the dealer is simply the job is low priority. RV shops are notorious for taking weeks or months to get around to doing a 1-2 hour job. They are all swamped with work so really don't care about customer goodwill, and most owners just gnash their teeth and wait for eventual completion. Though even then it may not be fixed right. Find it hard to believe that getting an RV with a dead battery started and working at least well enough to get home is that difficult. Heck, most mobile RV techs could manage that. But maybe the problem is more severe? There are no clues in this post - just that the son couldn't get it going.

Is this dealer in/near Deland? What's the name? In any case, your son is probably looking at a sizable tow bill to move it elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with shops in that area, even though I live only 1:15 away. Never had occasion to get any RV repairs there. Suggest you look at shop reviews here:

I've heard positive reports about PatRick's in Ocala, but have no personal experience there.
Thank you for your replies. I will find out the name of the shop. It's not a dealer. He had fun buying it originally from Camping World, they're a joke.

Saldy, this is an all to common sceranio in the RV world. People with little to no mechanical ability get the bug, go buy something and start traveling without understanding the basics. They generally get taken advantage of by unscrupulous shops. They end up spending a Lot more than the RV is worth, get discouraged and give up.
No start is so basic any compentent shop should be able to quickly diagnose the issue. Battery, starter, cables are the first three things to check.

He had it towed to Florida shores truck center, not the dealer. He said it had good reviews, but seems not true. Any real experience from reliable shop greatly appreciated.

It is entierly possible the battery is dead. Or.. I will tell you of an issue I had with my Interuder a few times.

Because of multiple wires hooked to the poisitive instead of using a standard Battery Terminal connector designed to connect with the LEAD metal terminal on the battery they used crimp on ring terminals. Steel. the WRONG metal, it reacted and corroded and required frequent cleaning. .

Acted like a totally dead battery.. I slid under with the proper wrenchg and a dremel with the proper "Tool" cleaned the terminals and VAROOM... Like 3 times in 9 years.. Then the 4th time the battery fauiled testeing and when I replaced it i also replaced the connectors doing them differently... that lasted till the end.

After sitting @ Florida Shores for another month and nothing getting done, he finally went there. Charged up all the batteries. Still dead in the water. Disconnected the 2 house batteries and left the engine battery connected. The Winnie started right up. Drove it to Golby rv repairs. He said only thing he found was a loose ground wire for house electrical. He was so frustrated there for a while, he was going to ask insurance company to junk it. Glad he didn't give up.

He would have been disappointed,, the insurance company is NOT responsible for the condition of the RV,, That's an owner responsibility..>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom