MAZDA MIATA towing 4 down???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

My wife just bought an older Mazda Miata and we would like to have it in Yuma in the winter.

I have been looking at small car hauler trailers and just thought about the feasibility of towing  it with our  SUV.  Max tow capacity on the tow car is 5200.  The Mazda weighs in at 2300.  It is a 5 spd manual transmission.

I am wondering about the tow bar etc.

1995  MK5 I think.  We just paid for it today and will p/u tomorrow.
How did you get yours rigged for towing?

We are not in the club yet, will look it up.

Tom...

We have a friend that used to buy older Miatas in florida and I have towed several home for him.  But we always used a tow dolly to avoid installing lights and a base plate since he would not be towing them again.  One thing to consider is that if it is a mechanical odometer the milage will show, but it won't if it is electronic.

Ed

I took mine to a local Roadmaster dealer that installed everything including wiring the lights. My coach was already setup because I pulled a Suzuki XL7 before the Miata.

We were in the San Joaquin Valley Miata club and used to do Miata runs all over California and Oregon. 

Just got it home an hour ago.  Plan on taking it to Yuma AZ this winter,  should be some runs around there.  Should be fun.  I wanted to go 4 wheelin' in the desert but we are getting to old and infirmed to commune with the Rattlesnakes and Scorpions and little to no water.

Thanks for the help.

My son has a '96.  My first one was a '96, too, now a '01.  Most fun for the $$$ of any car made today!  As I have said many times, I did not buy it to drive with the top up!

For a one time one way trip, renting a tow dolly or trailer may be cheaper and easier than getting it set up to tow 4 down.

Know what happens when an extended cab 4WD pickup runs a stop sign in front of a Miata?  That is what happened to my '96.  It totaled the car.  When the dust settled, I popped the door open and got out.  I UNDERCUT the truck, sent it airborne, and it slid to a stop on its' left side.  They used the Jaws of Life to cut the top off and get the driver out.

I went to Yuma specifically to buy my new Suzuki XL 7 and towing system because Southwest Drivelines is located in Yuma and they are, in my opinion, the best place in the world to have a towing system installed. 

I'd suggest you call them to inquire about hooking up your Miata.

https://www.swdriveline.com/

I would if I was there.  I have to drive or tow the Miata there to get it there as we are here in Iowa till Thanksgiving.  Nice thought though....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom