Me a single woman travelling to Mexico from canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanniesBoler

I am a very small single woman looking into travelling with Suzette my 1979 17 foot Boler camper somewhere warm to spend the winter. I would be leaving from Quebec

What would be your destination suggestions, your routes? Should I see about joining a caravan? Is there such things?

Attachments

• 7ED162A9-6DFF-42C1-880F-48A25B347D85.jpeg
    7ED162A9-6DFF-42C1-880F-48A25B347D85.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 102
Definitely NOT Mexico. With the mess at the border even the Rio Grande,valley is just too dangerous. Aeizona, Florida would be my two top choices

Have there been any recent updates on when the US might allow you to enter the country?

As said, Arizona or Florida could be good choices, although finding accommodations this late may present some problems. Southern Georgia could be another option.

Have there been any recent updates on when the US might allow you to enter the country?

As said, Arizona or Florida could be good choices, although finding accommodations this late may present some problems. Southern Georgia could be another option.
If I go to Florida, I have the very lovely yard of a very lovely villa of a couple of very dear friend I have been officially invited to pitch my cute little Boler.

as far as I can see, august 21st US is letting Canadians come in but that could always change. I am double vaccinated so that should help.

If I go to Florida, I have the very lovely yard of a very lovely villa of a couple of very dear friend I have been officially invited to pitch my cute little Boler.

as far as I can see, august 21st US is letting Canadians come in but that could always change. I am double vaccinated so that should help.
Hopefully, Florida will have their current COVID situation under control before too long. If so, I'd recommend your friend's invitation as the best overall choice at this point. If we see your cute little Boler set up in a yard in Florida this winter, we'll be sure to stop in and say hello! :)

Look at the US COVID map and travel accordingly. To tell you the truth I wouldn’t be traveling around the US too much right now. Mexico is always dangerous. Florida and Texas should be avoided for sure. Tennessee to. If I were you I would just tool around Canada.

Mehico, no bueno.
Florida would be about perfect for a winter stay. Even January sees 60's on the panhandle. Warmer down south, say Keys. Expensive, but there are spots in the Keys for trailers. Walk out your door, and there is the ocean. Small cabana with seating for each site.
Your trip looks like it follows the East Coast. New York is really pretty. The Finger Lakes region is full of wineries to visit. Niagara Falls.
Baltimore, Maryland has a fabulous public aquarium at Baltimore Harbor.
Philadelphia PA, rich in history.
You'll almost drive right through Washington DC. I've been there many times, and haven't seen it all yet. Smithsonian Museums, Udvar-Hazy Museum at Dulles airport for aviation history.
North and South Carolinas are some the most beautiful natural lands ever. You'll pass Hilton Head Island. Worth a day visit.
I vote as a single lady, you just watch yourself, and be aware. Always some dummy out there that wants to cause mayhem. Likely few and far between if camping. I suggest a front mount camera that records, and TPMS system for the trailer tires. Make sure your hardware is inspected, maintained, and solid before you travel. Tires, tow rig, etc. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
We deal in gallons at the pump, Canada is liters. 1 gallon is about 3.75 liters, so mentally calculate your price there... it will look expensive. Northern states have a tendency to be higher price, southern states, fuel and goods a bit less.
Take all the usual travel precautions. Keep a credit card separate from the bulk of your things, expect something goofy might happen, and don't try to plan every moment.
Welcome to the US. We still have a lot to offer, especially to our friends up north.

The Yuma Arizona area. Tons of boondocking areas. And usually 70 to 80 degrees even in February. Although I'm not too sure how the border crisis is affecting that area right now.

Well Fannie, the ban on Canadians was extended another month this morning, you may have to consider flying to a warmer spot this winter, and given a choice I would avoid the US. After 2 years of expenses without being able to drive down, Mexico, or the Caribbean are a lot cheaper and safer.

Ed

A friend of mine from BC has been RVing to Mexico every winter for good 13 years now. Covid is the big issue at the moment, but safety-wise it's like any other place (including Canada and the US, IMO) You need to know where you're going and listen to the locals. A basic knowledge of Spanish helps a lot.

I think your idea of joining a caravan would be the best thing for you. You'd need to have your RV transported across the border and then fly to pick it up and head your way south. Or wait until after Sep 21. Hopefully the US government will lift the border restrictions by then.

Steer clear of the US/Mexico Border, especially in Texas. Arizona can be nice during the winter, but don't go too far south, there's a lot of issues down on the US/Mexico border these days. (I was living in Arizona until recently, a stone's throw from the border, I experienced some of it first hand.) I'd also avoid the west coast states. Places like Oregon (Portland area especially), again, a lot of stuff going on out there. California isn't too bad in some places, just do your research on where you go and look into what's good and bad. There is safety in numbers as well.

Also, traveling alone, and being a female, carry a gun or two with you. And some pepper spray. Not sure how easy that will be coming from Quebec, but if you don't know guns, take a safety class and get yourself a pistol that you can handle. Me and my better half keep a gun, and other self defense weapons, in our RV always. P.S. Make sure you get the proper permits for the state you will be staying in. Some states are open carry (meaning no permits required) but its better to have some kind of a federal permit like a CCW.

Last edited:
Your biggest issue at the moment is the US land border from Canada is still shut to leisure travel. The only way from Canada to the US is to fly, but even with the light trailer you have, I wouldn't want to pay the excess baggage 🤔
Hopefully, the US will open the border real soon.

@NSRV Being Canadian a handgun is a non starter for her and as a non resident she can't buy one stateside except in Arizona but it can't leave the state. At the moment flying to a reputable resort is your best option.

Steer clear of the US/Mexico Border, especially in Texas. Arizona can be nice during the winter, but don't go too far south, there's a lot of issues down on the US/Mexico border these days. (I was living in Arizona until recently, a stone's throw from the border, I experienced some of it first hand.) I'd also avoid the west coast states. Places like Oregon (Portland area especially), again, a lot of stuff going on out there. California isn't too bad in some places, just do your research on where you go and look into what's good and bad. There is safety in numbers as well.

Also, traveling alone, and being a female, carry a gun or two with you. And some pepper spray. Not sure how easy that will be coming from Quebec, but if you don't know guns, take a safety class and get yourself a pistol that you can handle. Me and my better half keep a gun, and other self defense weapons, in our RV always. P.S. Make sure you get the proper permits for the state you will be staying in. Some states are open carry (meaning no permits required) but its better to have some kind of a federal permit like a CCW.
I have been offered a very nice contract in an NGO in Uganda Africa for six months minimum so my big Boler trip will have to wait

If anyone is interested, you should pick up a copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States, 2021 edition". It lays out what you can do when traveling in an RV. Pretty interesting.

As Roy said above, Canadians cannot carry a hand gun into the US nor can we legally buy one once there. So, reading gun Travel Guides is a useless project.

Ed

Having been in Law Enforcment for a majority of my career. I will offer a few suggestions... you can take them or leave them. You must carry personal protection against people trying to take what's yours. Get a permit to carry, get Mace spray, get devices that help you when you get into a predicament. Get a Dog. Believe me a dog deters criminals more then you can imagine! Never let your guard down. As much as I
hate to say it. This is a sick world. There are so many creeps out there that I can't even tell you how bad it is. I don't mean to scare you, But I DO mean to scare you. If your not scared your not prepared. Don't stop in dark areas, only lighted areas. Don't tell anybody where your headed that you don't know. Keep in touch with the people who love and care about you as much as you can. Well that's my two cents. Take it or leave it. But, please, please be careful. Best wishes and enjoy your journey (safely).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom