Medication from Mexican Border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindsaywade

hi
can anybody help regarding  medication (diabetic) from the mexican borders,we're travelling across the from east to west on the i-10 to California and should be near El paso and Yuma soon,
kind regards Lynda ???

If you'll be in Yuma, it's a short trip to the border at Algadones. Lots of pharmacies within a 5 block area and most seem to be well stocked. Prices are much lower than in the U.S. I can't speak for specific medications though.

Hi
Traveling ?on Interstate 8 just a couple of miles west of Yuma is exit 166 (I think). ?It is ?clearly marked Algodones, Mexico.
Turn left and go about 2 miles. ?Park at the pay lot on the right and walk across the border into Algodones. ?Many, many pharmacies around. ?Vendors on streeet will entice you in. ?If you have time you may want to compare pricing as I've heard it does vary from shop to shop though glasses are pretty much the same price from one vendor to the next.

I don't know anything about El Paso.

Betty

Take your prescriptions and check prices.  Not all drugs are cheaper in Mexico.  If not presciption drugs, then also check dosages to be sure they're correct.

There is a Dentist (I call him Dr. Joe) near Mexico City, he is diabetic.  Used to post to the Compuserve diabetes forum however I think when he left (long story) he requested his uploads be deleted.

In addition to what someone else said (it might not be cheaper) do be advised that the US government is activelly enforcing the monolopy the drug companies have on their products, this means that if the officials think you have been buying medications in Mexico when you re-enter the US they WILL hassell you, confiscate your medications and very possibly charge/fine you.

The odds are they won't find out... but if they do... Well, you are warned.

(Personally... Though I do understand the government's position,  I do NOT agree with it at all and thus refuse to take part in enforcement)

Sadly the US drug companies have a very powerful lobby, very powerfull.  Something needs to be done about it

Customs will NOT hassle you, nor confiscate your drug purchases when you come back from Mexico.  Each person is allowed to bring in, I believe, 90 days supply of any prescription medicines from out of the country.  All legal and above board.  If this were not so, there wouldn't be anyone going to Algondones or the other popular border towns for drugs.  You cannot bring in prescription drugs without a prescription nor can you bring in more than the specified days of supply.

John In Detroit said:
...this means that if the officials think you have been buying medications in Mexico when you re-enter the US they WILL hassell you, confiscate your medications and very possibly charge/fine you.

Not true John and whoever told you that is all wet. We've come through the border at Algadones a couple of times in the last couple of months with medications that require prescriptions in the U.S. Last time (a few weeks ago), the customs official asked what we'd bought in Mexico; I replied "some medications" and he said "let me see them". Chris plopped two plastic bags on the counter, saying "these are mine and those are his". The customs officer didn't even look in the bags and said "OK, get outta here".

One caveat - the FDA considers some drugs narcotics and they are specifically prohibited.

I did the comparison shopping bit the first time, but now just go to the pruple painted pharmacy 25 yards from border on left.

I did a comparison of the prices in NW Phoenix and found Fry's grocery was as cheap as mexico and in a few cases CHEAPER!

Just curious, if anyone has purchased Nexium in Mexico.  If so what did you pay?  I think a 30 day supply is about $144 in the US.
Rollie

Don't bother with that overpriced excuse to get arround patent expiration. Get Omeprazole, the generic version and pay $40-50 for a year's supply.

John said, "In addition to what someone else said (it might not be cheaper) do be advised that the US government is activelly enforcing the monolopy the drug companies have on their products, this means that if the officials think you have been buying medications in Mexico when you re-enter the US they WILL hassell you, confiscate your medications and very possibly charge/fine you."

Tom has the correct answer, only narcotics are prohibited.  However they appear to be stretching the spectrum that narcotics covers.  Our first trip to Algodones, we were able to purchase Meridia with no warnings.  The second trip, there were signs warning that the border would not allow it.  I will say the border does NOT seem very interested in looking for that kind of narcotics.  The Admiral and I have every reason to believe that a lot of profiling is going on.  The border seems more interested in pulling certain kinds of people aside that fit the profile.  On both trips they never showed any interest at all in the bags we were carrying, but did seem to be pulling certain categories of people aside.

When you're coming through El Paso on I-10, take the "Downtown" exit. ?Take any of the streets heading south (Stanton, Mesa, etc) and you will come to a multitude of parking areas where you can park and walk across the border. ?Benito Juarez Ave is just across the bridge, and there are Farmacias everywhere.

DO NOT take US 54 West (The Juarez exit at the freeway interchange) or you will find yourself driving into Mexico. ?Not a big deal for us locals, but the driving etiquette is a bit different down there, and if you don't know where you're going, you can get lost pretty easily.

You also need Mexico insurance if you drive. ?Your American insurance isn't any good down there....I don't care what your agent told you. ?I'm a manager for a rental car company here, and I deal with this on a daily basis. ?If you have an accident in Mexico, you are liable immediately to pay the damages to the other driver, and the American driver is ALWAYS at fault. ?If you don't have Mexico insurance, you go to jail and your vehicle will be impounded. ?If you do have Mexico insurance, you call the adjuster, fill out some forms, and be on your way. ?

If you aren't familiar with driving there, best to walk over until you get familiar with it. ?Everything you're looking for is within about a ?block radius of the border. ?If you're feeling adventurous, take a Juarez cab and go to lunch or dinner at Barrigas (the one by the bull ring)....the food is excellent, the wait staff very attentive, and the prices are reasonable. ?Barrigas has expanded into El Paso with 2 locations as well, if you aren't feeling adventurous.

We found walking over the least hassle.  At Algodones near Yuma, park at the Indian parking lot just at the edge of town.  It is still in American territory.  then walk from the parking lot into Algodonez.  When returning, you need to walk back on the other side of the street to pass US Customs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom