Memberships???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rayser

We are about to pick up our "new" 1992 Foretravel next week. Have not had a MH for nearly 20yrs so jumping in with both feet! My question concerns all the clubs and memberships. Are they worth it, and which ones, ie FMCA, Good Sams, Camping World Presidents, Foretravel Motorcade, and any others. We will most likely do mostly boondock type camping with some campgrounds occasionally thrown in to refill, etc. We are not full-timers,,,yet, that will come in a few yrs.  Weekends, etc, planining on attending motorcycle rallys in the west US.
I appreciate all inputs and experiences!! (I have a lot to learn quickly!! lol)  :eek:
Cheers
Steve

Steve

FMCA- a very much yes, benefits are about 3 times annual dues
Good Sam-No, you'll be inundated with junk mail
Foretravel Club-probably yes
And don't forget to stay with the RV Forum, the best of the bunch. Ask away and probably someone is around to give you an informed answer. Check out the library also, answers to many questions are there.

Steve,

Welcome back to the RVing community.  Definitely the FMCA magazine alone is worth the price of membership.  We attend some of the FMCA rallies, depending of where they are and what our schedule is at the time.  We tend to stay in campgrounds more than some of the other Forumites and, for us, the Good Sam discount at these campgrounds more than pays for the price of the dues.  Certainly agree about the junk mail but, the good news it goes in the recycle bin.  ;)  We sure do use our President's Club discount at Camping World and it has saved us a bundle.  I know there's a lot of controversy about Camping World, but we can get things there that aren't readily available elsewhere.  As to the factory-sponsored groups, I can't speak about the others, but Monoco membership is well worth it.  We attend rallies where they work on coaches.  The factory-sponsored rally seminars are a really valuable source of information about your brand of coach.  FMCA also has rally seminars that are beneficial, but they are not brand-specific.

Hope you enjoy your "new" motorhome.

ArdraF

I have two memberships, FMCA, and Camping World Presidents Club. I've had my motorhome about 3 1/2 years now and I bought more from CW the first two years than I have since so I may let that one go. Savings at CW are good on some items but others can be purchased cheaper direct or from other suppliers. FMCA is definitely worth the price.

Woody

Thanks Guys, I greatly appreciate the info. Looks like FMCA is a definate so far.
I have already picked up a lot of info hanging around here and reading the library. Great source of info and good people, looking forward to much more!!
Again, would appreciate hearing any any other other experiences with groups or memberships. Whats worth it, whats not.
Cheers
Steve

Good questionand I am sureyou will get a lot of answers. IMHO  I agree with Bernie in the Good Sam is a good one to pass on.  FMCA is well worth the membershipdues as well as Escapees.  I am sure there is a Foretravel club and that would also be worthwhile.

Welcome the RV Forum and back to RVing.

Rayser said:
We are about to pick up our "new" 1992 Foretravel next week. Have not had a MH for nearly 20yrs so jumping in with both feet! My question concerns all the clubs and memberships. Are they worth it, and which ones, ie FMCA, Good Sams, Camping World Presidents, Foretravel Motorcade, and any others. We will most likely do mostly boondock type camping with some campgrounds occasionally thrown in to refill, etc. We are not full-timers,,,yet, that will come in a few yrs.  Weekends, etc, planining on attending motorcycle rallys in the west US.
I appreciate all inputs and experiences!! (I have a lot to learn quickly!! lol)  :eek:
Cheers
Steve

Definitely not Good Sam. It's just a junk mail generator. Maybe the Foretravel club since they can help with any issues you have with the coach and you'll meet individuals with similar interests. I do not recommend any membership campgrounds other than Passport America, especially if you think you will be boondocking most of the time. With Passport America you will recoup your membership fee within about 3 nights of camping. They offer 1/2 price camping but they may not be the "best" campgrounds around. We find they are more than adequate when traveling and looking for a place to sleep for the night. We have also found some that were worth several nights, or weeks, lodging. I'd stay away from any that require huge amounts of money to join as they usually are not worth the price. Some even require payment from your heirs if you are no longer around!!!

Back
Top Bottom