Merc outboards just keep on going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've had an itch to go fishing but, between travel and local Delta waterways being shut down, I hadn't been able to. The bass boat hasn't been in the water for several months, so I figured I'd better check it out so I can get some fishing in before leaving for Moab. I checked the oil, lowered the boat into the water and turned the key. As always, the 60hp 4-cycle Mercury outboard started on the first turn of the key. I previously had a 8hp 2-cycle Merc outboard that I transferred between a couple of dinghies for 12-13 years and it fired up on the first pull of the handle no matter how much I seemed to abuse it.

By comparison, the 40hp 4-cycle Yamaha on our current dinghy won't start after a long period of inactivity without me changing the spark plugs. Same story with the 155hp 2-cycle Yamaha on our PWC.

My buddy was helping a guy clean out some storage in old fish totes and walked home with a 1969 60hp Kiekhaufer Thunderbolt. We have it on a stand and cranked it over after cleaning it up a little, still sparks! Other than being in storage for a LONG time it looks pretty good. We're gonna reassemble, fire it up and try it out on my inflatable in the spring.  ;D

When I bought my first inflatable and couldn't afford an outboard, a friend (and current forum member) dug out an "old" 3 hp Sears Gamefisher outboard from his attic. IIRC it was 60's era, but still like new and in the original bag. It fired right up.

Tom said:
When I bought my first inflatable and couldn't afford an outboard, a friend (and current forum member) dug out an "old" 3 hp Sears Gamefisher outboard from his attic. IIRC it was 60's era, but still like new and in the original bag. It fired right up.

Very interesting. I wish I could talk Jack into buying a good quality inflatable. He wants a aluminum rowboat but I think that an infatable would be easier to transport on top of our Jeep.  :(  :(

Liz

Jackliz said:
...I think that an infatable would be easier to transport on top of our Jeep.

That depends on the inflatable Liz. When I replaced that first (West Marine) inflatable with an Avon RIB (rigid inflatable boat - a fiberglass bottom and inflatable tubes), it took four of us to lift it on and off the roof of our Suburban without the engine attached. (The 8hp Merc outboard weighed another 70 lbs). We carried it on the Suburban only once - from the store to the marina.

Our current Caribe RIB weighs close to 400 lbs and the outboard weighs another 200 lbs. So they only way we'd be able to take it with our coach would be to trailer it, but then we'd be toadless.

He wants a aluminum rowboat..

With an aluminum boat, Jack might be able to use a hoist/pulley system to get it on top of the Jeep with little physical effort. He could also attach an ouboard motor if/when desired.

I really miss having a small boat along when we're in the coach and camped near a lake or river. I've vascilated between the options of an aluminum boat carried on the roof of the Burb, a double-stack trailer (car in the bottom and boat on the upper deck), and a folding PortaBote.

Jackliz said:
Very interesting. I wish I could talk Jack into buying a good quality inflatable. He wants a aluminum rowboat but I think that an infatable would be easier to transport on top of our Jeep.? ?:(? ?:(

Liz

Not always so Liz.  Some of those inflatables get pretty heavy.  I would think the aluminum boat he wants would be easier.

I will be getting a Sea Eagle fold-cat boat, the hull weighs only 75lbs ,seems to me the perfect choice for the occasional need for a fishing fix. ;D I looked at a three piece aluminum jon boat but I think the inflatable fits my wants better.

I'll go along with everybody else, my Achilles weighs 300lbs w/o motor. Of course, there are smaller ones. Heres some things to think about:

For weight, you'll probably want PVC construction. It is lighter than most of the other types, but just almost as durable in a QUALITY boat.
An inflatable is much more stable than a aluminum boat.
You can reduce a lot of the weight by going with an air floor.

A small aluminum- up to 10-12 feet or so- would be easy to load on your car roof.
If you are going to row, you'll get more for your effort out of an aluminum hull.
Aluminum hulls are much more roomy than inflatbles of comparable size. The tubes cut down a lot on the usable space.

Achilles makes a 9ft model that weighs 60lbs. And thats hypalon. Other companies will do the same. just Google AB, Avon, Caribe, Mercury(the HD models), Novurania, Dux, Zodiac, or any one of many many others for specs.

Treat inflatable dealers like RV dealers and you'll be OK. If you notice I'm leaning more toward inflatables thats because I like em, not because I think they're better than aluminum. They both have their place.

If you want to get into fabrics and whatnot check out my website.

http://www.freewebs.com/dsharp/

dsharp said:
Aluminum hulls are much more roomy than inflatbles of comparable size. The tubes cut down a lot on the usable space.

Isn't that a fact!

I purchased a folding boat (Porta-Bote) as few weeks ago at a boat show.  I haven't received it yet since the freight company couldn't find our small town.  After I get some experience with it I will let you know how it preforms.  My theory is that I can strap it on the top of the toad and take it along to some of the Texas lakes. We'll see how well that works.

I've had Folbots since the late 60s. Current model is the Greenland II. They used to have kits, for rigid models. I would buy kits, and  build them over the winter - then sell them in the spring. Wonderful boats. Had them in every kind of water, streams, white water, lakes and ocean - every kind of weather - and no problems, ever. Great for fishing.

My Greenland II is the folding model. Fits in any car trunk. Goes together in 20 minutes. Also carries on a car top, quite nicely. Can be handled by one person, without difficulty. Two is better - roomy. Three is enough. Four - need to be really good friends. It is coming up on 9 years old. I have all the accessories, some for decades, now. Check them out at -

http://www.folbot.com/

(I have no financial interest in that company.)

Ray D

Neat looking boats Ray. They're essentially all kayaks, right?

Robert,

Hopefully the PortaBote goes together faster than that West Marine "fold up dinghy" that came in a tote. If you remember, it took three of us a couple of hours to get it put together and inflated. I didn't dare remove the floorboards or deflate it again and left it inflated until I sold it 5 years later.

Tom said:
Neat looking boats Ray. They're essentially all kayaks, right?

Yes, all kayaks. They are not the tippy kind. Super stable - easy to paddle - carry quite a biit of weight. I used them for touring and fishing, mostly fly fishing, for trout.

They can be motoized, though I have never done that. They have sails available and I had a sail for years. It was a bit too exciting for me, way too fast! I didn't use the sail very much. Couldn't fish and sail, both at once. Couldn't figure out how to slow it down to trolling speed. Didn't have enough hands and feet, even with another person in the boat.

20 years ago,I gave that boat to my son, a naval officer, and it was destroyed in a fire two years ago. Insurance replaced it with new. All of my grandchildren sail it, (on the east coast,) and love it.

Ray D

Tom, I remember that trying time of getting your boat inflated and ready to use. I hadn't laughted so much in a long time. If we had been in the ocean and sinking, trying to get that thing inflated for use as a life raft - we wouldn't be here today.

caltex said:
I purchased a folding boat (Porta-Bote) as few weeks ago at a boat show.? I haven't received it yet since the freight company couldn't find our small town.? After I get some experience with it I will let you know how it preforms.? My theory is that I can strap it on the top of the toad and take it along to some of the Texas lakes. We'll see how well that works.

I have never been in one, but the few owners I have spoken with felt they got their moneys worth. Only one told me of warranty work, he was satisfied with their service as well.

Back
Top Bottom