Mercedes motors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macman

Hi
Looking for peoples advise on the Diesel motors that are in the Class C motorhomes. Looking to possibly get into a Winnebago class C. Looking at a used unit in the 2016-2020 model year. 2.8 turbo/3.0 turbo Diesel which of course has Def fluid. I’ve heard their pretty solid until their not and that’s when it can get expensive on top of finding a reputable repair facility. Shy away or not to much of a concern? Thx in advance…..Mac

There is no 2.8L diesel in the Sprinters, as least not since about Y2K. Up thru the 2006 chassis year (T1N series), the Sprinter was equipped with the 2.7L turbo diesel inline 5 cylinder engine. Beginning with 2007 chassis year (the year the NCV3 series was introduced) the engine was a 3.0L turbo V6 diesel, at first at 154hp like the older I5 engine, then 188hp. The NCV3 series can be spotted by having two separate air inlet grates at the top of the hood, one for the heater and one for the air inlet, while the older T1N had one wide air inlet grate for the heater, and slots in the RH fender for the engine air inlet.

There was a gasoline 3.5L V6 that was used for the 2007 and '08 models I think. Winnebago actually built a few View models with this engine/chassis. About 2014 a 2.1L turbo inline 4 cyl diesel was introduced and was only used for about three or four years. Again, Winnebago built a few Views on this engine/chassis combo and actually had a couple of chassis' left when they decided to quit using that engine. On the View forum there was one person who actually convinced WBO to build him a View on one of the remaining chassis'.

Beginning in 2019 the Sprinter S30 series was introduced with further changes, and MANY electronics changes. Now there is a 2.0L turbo 4 cyl diesel that is slated to replace the V6.

Rather than retype a bunch of stuff, read My post #4 and My post #6 in an earlier thread asking similar questions about the Sprinter.

Winnebago built a number of variations of the View on the Sprinter cab/chassis and also built the Via for a while on a Sprinter chassis that MB made with no doors and nothing above the dash. It basically a mini Class A.

The 3.0L V6 diesel is a very reliable engine. The transmissions caused some problems but for the most part, after about 2010 the problems seemed to go away. At some point and I don't recall when, they switched from a 5 speed to an 8 speed (or was it 7, I don't recall).

For all things Sprinter, join and read thru the Sprinter Forums

If you are searching for Winnebago Views, also be sure and search for Itasca Navions, the same product with different colors and fabrics.

There are Winnebago View groups on Facebook but I don't do FB so I cannot help you there. There are View forums in the older group style however which have been going since the first WBO View was introduced. It was moved from Yahoo when they ended the groups, but the entire archive of the forum is intact, and the forum still operates. I still visit it occasionally. There are three separate groups that have to be joined separately to get all the info you might seek. Be careful signing up to deselect any email notifications of discussions or you will be inundated with emails, and it may take a couple of tries to get all of the settings correct.

View discussion group
View Tech discussion group
View Mods discussion group

Charles

Back
Top Bottom