Merits of roof or basement air ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dassame

Howdy Folks,

First a thank you for the warm welcomes to my introduction , looks like a really good group I am looking forward to participating. My plans are not being realized fast enough , but oh well. Ever onward ! I like the looks of and the floorplans of Kountry Star by Newmar , Alfa Gold , and Nu-Wa Hitchhiker , so any thought or feedback on 5 to 10 yr old used models of these three ? Also , I have been lurking here and there reading and learning so the questions come. What are the pros/cons of roof air and basement air ? Thanks for all responses !

Hitchikers are very popular with fultimers - I know of several owners and see many of them.  Less so Kountry Stars, but Newmar is a top manufacturer. Alfas have a following among fulltimers too, but not as many as the Nuwa Hitchiker.  You probably couldn't go too far wrong with any of the three.

Basement air takes up basement storage space but yields a lower profile rig. Roof air makes the roofline higher and a few folks think they are unsightly. Roof air is probably less expensive if you ever have to replace one or both.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I wouldn't even consider a rig with basement air.? First cost of repair if necessary will be higher.? I have been told that in most cases it would be cost less to relplace a roof air unit compared to repairing a basement air unit.? Besides why take up valuable storage space.? The roof air is out of the way.

condensation of our roofairs runs through plumbing in the side walls directly underneath the coach.

chris

caltex said:
One advantage of basement air is that the condensation runs directly on the ground, rather than down the side of your RV.

Some coaches with roof air have drain systems so the condensation does not run down the sides so that is no positive for basement air. ;D

Will you guys with these high end coaches quit bragging. The condensate from our a/c units runs down the side that happens to be lowest.

Tom,

There are a couple of solutions to this, first the add on gutter spigots that you can get at CW for about $10.00 help OR you can get the new Rain gutters for about $100 a side or you can get the plastic pan that goes under the AC and plumb the drain yourself!?

I got the $10.00 rain spigots myself!  VBG

Tom said:
Will you guys with these high end coaches quit bragging. The condensate from our a/c units runs down the side that happens to be lowest.

You Monaco motorhomers lead a rough life.  :'(

LOL Carl, especially true when we have to change our own oil.

Our Hitchhiker has built in rain gutters that really do work well.  The only place we have any black streak is on the very back.

We've only owned, and lived full time in, ours for a few months now but have had no (0) trouble with anything.

Back
Top Bottom