Metal Detectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anniemae

How many of you use a metal detector while camping for fun.  If so, any advice on a model you like.  Cabelas carries a variety of them.

I have always wanted to try it, but I camp mostly at State and Federal Parks, and digging is strictly prohibited, at least that is my understanding. I know that in Nevada it is illegal to dig up ANY type of artifact and/or remove it. So, in light of the legalities of scavenging I've left the hobby alone.

The Garrett line seems to be very popular as a decent entry line detector.  You can find the Ace 250 or 350 both new and used on places like Ebay pretty reasonable.  Not sure how other states do it, but in Oregon it is permissible in the state parks as long as you get a permit.  If your going to do it as a hobby, as long as you get permission and/or the proper permits first there is no reason not to try it. 

I have one made by White. Bought it several years ago so I don't remember what I paid for it but I don't think it was very much.  I keep it in the RV all the time.  When there's nothing to do while camping, I'll dig it out and will search areas like volleyball courts or sandy beaches. About the only thing I ever find is a few coins and pull tabs from cans even so, it still passes the time and you'll never know when you may strike it rich!!  When I'm done using it, I always remove the batteries so there's no chance of permanently damaging the unit because of a leaking battery.  Thanks for the post. I may just break it out this afternoon.

I've also used it to help people. My daughter had a artesian well but the cap was underground and she wanted to locate it in case she ever had to replace the pump especially in the winter here in NH. She had no idea of where it was only that it was on one end of the house. She purchased the house used.  Within about 2 minutes of scanning, I found it. We dug it up and left the cap exposed just in case. It was down only about 6". Lo and behold, 2 years later, her pump died. Saved allot of useless digging.

Kellycodedetectors.com in winter haven fl.  Good place to start.  I have a bounty hunter live on LI so a lot of beaches to comb.  Just have to stay off Federal beaches.   

Jim

Hey,
      I have been metal detecting for over ten years. I have found gold and silver rings, Civil war stuff, artifacts and what not. I have found more coins that I can remember. Paid for my detectors.
I currently have a mine lab Excalibur 2 for beach and water detecting. I am in Florida on the Treasure cast looking to find my first gold coin I hope.

My wife and I are new to the RV lifestyle and full time at it. Metal detecting is my favorite hobby.
I have been buying my detectors from Kellyco.com here in Florida for years. It is the best site. They give you hundreds of accessories and even a second metal detector for free. They stand buy their equipment 100%.
I don't have time right now but in a few days I will post some of my better finds for all to see,  Dave

Have an ACE350 Santa brought in time for Quartszite. Found a few military items from the African tank assault practice range north of town.

Back
Top Bottom