Mexican Toads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ITCHY FEET-Steve

I was reading some tourist info on Mexico and was surprised to read that it is illegal to have MH and toad registered in the same name.  :eek:  ???? Gawd I'm not lookin forward to another prarie winter! -sc

"help a man in trouble, and he will find you the next time that he is in trouble"

ITCHY FEET said:
I was reading some tourist info on Mexico and was surprised to read that it is illegal to have MH and toad registered in the same name.?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.? When we went to Mexico on a caravan the rules were that if you had a tow vehicle you had to have 2 drivers and each vehicle had to be? in both names ( or one vehicle in one? name and the other vehicle in the second drivers name) Seems Mexico wants to prevent people from towing cars into the country and then selling them.? So our friend, who is single could not bring his toad into the country as he drives solo and you need 2 drivers for 2 vehicles. The border crossing was very thorough in their search of documents in? recording ownership and proof of insurance .

Betty

Not sure of the question, but I sure wouldn't go to Mexico unless it was with a group. Even then folks have been ripped off by the Federalizes (sp?). I'm sure there are folks who think it is great and those who don't. Crime is probably no worse than in the bad neighborhoods of large American cities.

yeh, Betty -
that was the idea i got- only your take is even rougher. The toad is in my name so when i get a motorhome will have to put both names on it. Seems like BS but something they feel is necessary, i guess.

Does anyone know the exact law?
would i have to change the toad to both? Txs. -sc

I can't think of any reason to go to Mexico even though it's only three or so hours away. I crossed over a few times as a child with my parents, one time going to Monterrey. It was special then because I had never been to another country. And I crossed over again in the late 60s with my then new wife when I was 24 or 25. But there is nothing there that tempts me to go again. It's not that I have an aversion to foreign travel. We lived in Oman from 1992 through 1995 and in the Netherlands from 1996 through 1998 and in that time visited 30 or so countries, including Jordan, Thailand, New Zealand, Brunei, and Poland. But we conciously avoided any country that was especially dangerous, corrupt, or depressing. I'm sure we missed seeing some interesting things but that's how the cookie crumbles.

The rules when crossing the border WERE that an individual could only bring one vehicle across the the border. If a couple were crossing the border then they could bring two vehicles if at least one of the vehicles was titled by both (or the mh was titled by one of the couple and the toad was titled by the other) AND each individual used a different credit card when paying the border crossing fee for the vehicles.

However, the rules have changed. When we crossed the border at Nogales in December, 2005, I (one person) could bring both a motorhome and a toad across the border (as long as my name was on the title) and I could use the same credit card to pay for both fees. Also, another change was that my mh permit is good for 10 years instead of just 120 days, I did not have to hand it in as I left the country like I did with my toad. Knowing how it is in Mexico, all border crossings may not be up to date with the new rule changes.

By the way, getting a vehicle permit is only required if you are going into mainland Mexico. Visits to N and S Baa and Sonora do not require a vehicle permit.

Ken Tarkin (currently in Lebanon, Ohio)

Back
Top Bottom