Mfg's & Models to Avoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all,
We've been looking for the right 5th wheel for well over 5 years now and fully expect to buy something in 2013 or 2014.  This industry sure seems to see considerable change, so much so, it really is hard to boil things down.  After listening to dozens of sales folks explain the merits of one mfg over another, methods of construction, etc., my notebook is a shamble and we still often find our heads spinning. 

We're almost certain to be buying used (feel it offers the most buying power) and have found the full profile units better for my 6'3" height.  I've searched this and several other RV forums to see what folks have to say about what with respect to 5th wheels.  Rather than start another "which is the best 5th wheel" thread, I like to hear from the forum as to what manufacturers and/or models to avoid. 

Presently,  Montana, Hitchhiker and Cedar Creek are still remain on our short list. 

Thanks,
Bill

You really want to see how they hold up?  Look at some used ones on dealer lots.  When we did that we crossed one of your brands off our list in a big hurry.  Ended up buying new one of the other ones on your list.  So far in 7 years the number of issues I have had I can count on one hand.

Hi donn,
Which on my list did fell out of favor with you?  I do try and pay attention to how well things "stay square" so to speak, when looking at used inventory.  It is really hard to see the hidden ills and wear and tear, but that is exactly why I'm trying to eliminate the mfg's and models known to have a bad track record.
Thanks

ALL manufacturers have had lemons. 

My best advice is to not eliminate anything from your potential list of candidates....find a nice used unit with the floor plan that best fits your needs, that shows evidence of proper care.  It's kinda like buying a car and a house at the same time....you're looking for mechanical care and cosmetic care.  One of the biggest indicators is if everything works, and the unit is cosmetically appealing.  All RV's have failures....the ones that are cared for have had the little things fixed over the years.  If the previous owner let the little things go, odds are they didn't care about regular mainteance either.

Forest River is one of the brands that gets a black eye.  I love my new Palomino.  You will encounter a plethora of opinions on here.  Buy the unit YOU like. 

freestoneangler said:
Hi donn,
Which on my list did fell out of favor with you?  It starts with an "M"I do try and pay attention to how well things "stay square" so to speak, when looking at used inventory.  It is really hard to see the hidden ills and wear and tear, but that is exactly why I'm trying to eliminate the mfg's and models known to have a bad track record.
Thanks
To be honest my Cedar Creek has been one fantastic fifth wheel.  It has proved to be a very good trailer.  No problems what so ever.  Have I done things to it?  Sure.  I have upgraded the suspension to a full wet bolt kit, added many things not originally found on the trailer.  It has done exactly what I have ask of it and more.  Not everybody will think so, but FR has been good to deal with, even after 7 years I can send them an email asking questions and get an answer in a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom