MH saves Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one I used was made by G.E. specifically for the panel installed by the house maker (it was a modular house).  Take a look here for ideas if you can't find anything directly from your panel manufacturer.

It also doesn't look that hard to roll your own.

Thanks Lou, I will checkout my panel and use that site.  It ought to interesting here in the wilds of MT to get one.  UPS and FEDEX have become my friends!  :)

So the first thing I check is my sump pump, sure enough the water was just about to overflow. Then I got the bright idea to fire up my 5000 watt Onan generator in the MH and ran an extension cord to the sump pump. Woohoo saved the day. Then I ran another extension to my refrigerator and lastly another to my fan on my fireplace insert. No water in the basement, cold food, and heat. I ran out of extension cords or I would have had entertainment

So cool!
-Roni

I will talk to that neighbor of mine and inform him about the dangers of Backfeeding, but maybe he has one of those transfer switches. Never ceases to amaze me the things I learn on this website.  ;) We have decided to buy a generator and transfer switch box for future use. I seen a Champion 9000watt at camping world, maybe that would suffice.

Lou Schneider said:
If you want to "backfeed" and be completely legal and up to code, you can get a mechanical interference interlock that allows you to connect either utility or emergency power to your house's electric panel, but not both at the same time.

That is not backfeeding. That is side feeding or "Aux Feed" You have described one of the many approved transfer ssytems, (I might add the worst one).

In your system that "other breaker" which is locked off when you are on mains is connected not to an OUTLET (Which gets power from mains normally) but to an INLET which is only used when you need to eat off the genrator.

Backfeeding is when you use an OUTLET (WHich normally gets power from the mains) as an INLET.

You have described one of the approved methods.. I do admit to not liking your system since that lock plate can be disabled. but it is legal as described and safe provided you don't pry the interlock off.

pipepro said:
Now there you go John I'm confused again  :-X

Ok If you have an outlet, Under normal conditions you can plug an appliance (Welder, Dryer, Air compressor, Trouble light, Whatever) into it and the appliance works,, That is an outlet

IF you run a cord from that outlet to your generator THAT IS BACKFEEDING.
It is dangerous and illegal

IF you hae a INLET (Often this is a mounted plug)  it has NO power to it when hooked to the mains,  You plug it into your gnerator (using a proper cord) and flip switches that are so designed that you can not have it powering the house at the same times the mains are powering the house.. That is legal. And safe.

It is that simple, The system you described the power inlet is only used to bring power INTO the house, when the commercial mains are supplying power it's dead, cold, turned off, of no use. 

That is the proper way to do it.

Just think like this.. In a backfeed situtaiton power normally flows "one way" on the backfeed outlet, but when backfeeding it flows "Back" the other way.

In your system, that does not happen.

pipepro said:
I will talk to that neighbor of mine and inform him about the dangers of Backfeeding, but maybe he has one of those transfer switches. Never ceases to amaze me the things I learn on this website.  ;) We have decided to buy a generator and transfer switch box for future use. I seen a Champion 9000watt at camping world, maybe that would suffice.

Where are you located?  I hope all is well with you and your family. 

Pipepro,

Check with you're power company about a transfer switch. My brother lives close to Atwood Lake there in Ohio and he contacted several electricians to put in a transfer switch for his generator.

All the estimates were over $1000. The last one he called told him to call the power company. They had a unit that went between the meter and the meter base. When the power goes out you just plug the generator into it. If I remember right he said it was about $300 installed.

I've got some information on the unit and will post it here if I can find it.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Pipepro,

Check with you're power company about a transfer switch. My brother lives close to Atwood Lake there in Ohio and he contacted several electricians to put in a transfer switch for his generator.

All the estimates were over $1000. The last one he called told him to call the power company. They had a unit that went between the meter and the meter base. When the power goes out you just plug the generator into it. If I remember right he said it was about $300 installed.

I've got some information on the unit and will post it here if I can find it.
Sounds interesting. This is something that might be worth doing.

Thank You very much, just last week I decided on purchasing the 9000 model Champion Generator from Camping World and luckily I didn't pull the trigger because a few days later that model was on the news for a recall, they are leaking gas.

I too have seen the "Between meter and base" transfer device,  From what I have seen and read it is a good system.

I prefer the transfer panel so that I can leave a key light on the mains and see when power is restored... But the "Behind the meter" device is a whole lot less expensive.

pipepro said:
Thank You very much, just last week I decided on purchasing the 9000 model Champion Generator from Camping World and luckily I didn't pull the trigger because a few days later that model was on the news for a recall, they are leaking gas.

Finally found the information.

GenerLink

www.generlink.com

www.globalpowerproducts.com/index1.php?action=2&&idSP=2

Here is a video showing one being installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimw934ci9M

When you order one you have to also order the cable to connect to it. It comes with the proper connector to connect to the GenerLink on one end and you tell them the NEMA number of the receptacle on the generator and they put the right plug on the other end of the cable.

Everything in the house is connected so you have to turn off circuit breakers so you don't overload the generator. Only turn on the breakers for the items you need.

My brother really likes his.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom